• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

Most liked posts in thread: Retirement Stocks 2019

1. Bill M

Bill M Self Funded Retiree

You are an amazing person Value collector. I am not so different to you and I retired early too. I got a hand written note too but at a much later stage of my life, back in the early 90's. I never won lotto, got a free handout or got an inheritance. Always worked simple jobs, mostly unskilled but I work every scrap of O/T while all my mates were drinking beer in the pub. They use to call me dollar Bill because I even went in for 4 hours O/T. Saved my money, bought a small business that doubled 3 years later and I sold it. Cashed in and bought a 1 br apartment in Sydney and gave myself an overseas trip. Since then I have bought and sold 11 properties mostly in Sydney.

If I had to I could go back to work and make more money and more investments but I do not have to and I live a very simple life. I believe that when you have enough, then stop and let others have a go. Seen too many of my mates die early and never enjoy life. I spend nearly 6 Months a year travelling.

These days I find people don't really want to take on any risk, not even younger ones. I mean for example people are happy to get 1.9% in an online savings and complain about the low interest rate. But mention high dividend yield shares or RateSetter and they won't do it. I did not mind risk when I was a young fella and at one stage even bought a apartment off the plan in a top notch suburb of Sydney. The business I bought also had risk involved. These days people just won't take on any risk even if there is a chance of making substantial gains.

Now, I still owns stocks and invest in RateSetter, the rental apartments are all gone. The stocks are long term holdings in my super. A very simple investment in the Vanguard ETF, VHY pays me around 6% income. I really could not care if the share market took a 50% dive, I am expecting it at some stage. But I am prepared for it because I have set aside a cash fund for injection into the sharemarket should this happen. You need to be ready for any eventuality. I am a strong believer of no risk = no reward. Good luck everyone.

Edit: I just noticed your no kids comment, same here too.

2. Bill M

Bill M Self Funded Retiree

For absolute and total freedom of your life. To be able to do anything, anytime you like without external pressures like work commanding you should be at a certain place at a certain time. I had some really different and exciting jobs in the past but I always felt that the job was stealing my time on this planet away from me. From an early age I was hell bent on studying as much as could about investing just so I could retire early, it helped me achieve my goals. I am retired 18 years now and love every moment of it.

qldfrog, aus_trader, barney and 5 others like this.
  3. Iggy_Pop

Iggy_Pop

I have been retired for just over one year and with experience have built a portfolio of -

ANZ, CBA, NAB, WBC - steady dividends about 30% of portfolio
    A bunch of REITs - CMW, CMA, AVN, CIP steady dividends and capital gain - about 25% of portfolio, and most pay quarterly
    Some LICs - WAM, PL8 - about 15% of portfolio. PL8 pays monthly
    Some ETFs - IVV, VHY, VEU - about 20%, gives some international exposure and capital growth
    I do have a few other individual shares which I do plan to move on and reinvest in either LICs or ETFs.

And also ANZPG - due to interest rates being low. I did notice CBA are listing a new hybrid share and this is an option in lieu of a term deposit which is worth considering

With these most months some dividends are received, and I find this handy tp pay the bills

Iggy

BearCave, Miner, aus_trader and 4 others like this.