• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

Most liked posts in thread: Retirees Tax

1. Smurf1976

Smurf1976

This is really just one piece in a much bigger puzzle.

Note: I am not keen in principle on the concept of "class" but I'm using it here since it seems the simplest way to communicate the point.

Looking back over the years, one by one pretty much every means by which an ordinary person could put themselves into the middle class has been removed.

Manufacturing jobs paid well but manufacturing has been gutted.

Putting your name down with utilities, councils etc for a basic job is no longer a way to gain anything at all. Much work is outsourced so even getting a job with the contractor doesn't mean you've got a foot in the door of the organisation which, in the past, was a pathway to a decent technical, administrative or other career.

Jobs in hospitality, retail etc now paying even less than they used to by removing penalty rates and so on.

Universities have been turned into degree mills and the value of most degrees has in practice been drastically reduced. There are exceptions but there's a lot of professions flooded with applicants for every job and paying rock bottom wages as a result. And so we end up with a lot of highly qualified cleaners and bus drivers.

The licensed trades still pay well but it's hard work physically (see my point here about people retiring in their 50's and needing to live many years on their non-super investments) and it's nigh on impossible for anyone not already qualified to get in these days since trades training has been gutted along with manufacturing and the utilities.

The cost of housing is outright ludicrous by historic standards. Even renting is expensive these days.

All manner of services previously provided by governments are now for-profit user pays. With government no longer providing such things one would think taxes ought to have been reduced quite a bit.

I am not a smoker and don't advocate it but tobacco is still legal and holy **** cigarettes are expensive these days with most of that price being tax. Yes there are health costs but there were 30 years ago too so with all that extra tax being collected some other tax ought to have been greatly reduced, right?

And now we see another group, those who are self-funded and not reliant upon welfare, being given a nudge toward the lower class.

This is all going to end badly for the vast majority is my expectation. High costs and huge debts baked in the cake and can't raise wages without killing what remains of our international competitiveness. So we're stuck with a two class society with the vast majority in the bottom group.

Note that my criticism is aimed at both major parties and I wouldn't exclude the minor ones either since they've willingly gone along with much of it without objection.

Meanwhile we freely allow certain multi-nationals to pay no tax at all on their huge operations.

What's needed is a complete re-think of our entire national economic approach in my view. :2twocents

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    IFocus, lindsayf, basilio and 4 others like this.
  2. Bill M

Bill M Self Funded Retiree

Yes you a right. What we really need to see is some real leadership, someone to stand up and say "Yes we will be targeting certain multi-nationals that aren't paying their fair share of tax" and "yes politicians will be brought into line with the general community and have their generous allowances and super schemes looked at." But all we get is the constant bickering and BS. Last night the NSW state Libs and Labor were out bidding each other on what they were going to spend on health, I think it got up to $2.1 Billion. What a load of crock, neither side delivers. Pathetic Australian politics and then we are forced to vote against our will as well.

If only one person would stand up and tackle the real issues then that is who I would vote for but with these current 2 clowns, neither are getting my vote.

Bill Shortens idea of removing refundable imputation credits from low income retirees is just wrong, we are having the goal posts moved with no grand fathering, we will lose income because of it and that isn't right.

Iggy_Pop, sptrawler, lindsayf and 4 others like this.
  3. Smurf1976

Smurf1976

I think it's fair to say that most people wouldn't mind paying taxes if they can see that governments are taking all reasonable steps to contain costs, the money really is going into schools, fire brigades, roads, hospitals etc, and nobody's getting a free ride other than by means of legitimately receiving welfare due to whatever unfortunate circumstances.

What upsets them is when things which make a profit are sold off cheaply or even given away, big corporates aren't paying a cent in tax, money is wasted via lucrative deals with selected companies, people are handed welfare for no sensible reason other than to buy votes and then there's a call for the rest to pay more tax to plug the gap and those legitimately needing assistance via welfare find it incredibly difficult to access.

First step in filling the bath is to put the plug in. Only then does it make sense to turn the taps on. :2twocents

qldfrog, Iggy_Pop, IFocus and 4 others like this.