• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

Renewable energy news

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by BIG BWACULL, May 26, 2007.

1. BIG BWACULL

BIG BWACULL

Thought i'd start a thread on a topic that will effect us and our childrens future, Here you can post anything that relates to renewables, from links to companies, photos, discussion or whatever O.K Sweet:D (oh i finally found the start a thread button, Can i get a woohoo) I start with a pic or two

EVM or enviromission plan to build some of these solar towers

Attached Files:

2. BIG BWACULL

BIG BWACULL

3. BIG BWACULL

BIG BWACULL

:eek:

Attached Files:

4. arminius

arminius

gday,

i hope our kids can thank us in the future for what we do now.
    i believe safe nuclear plants, augmented by renewables, say, 30-40 percent, is the future. trouble is, the big boys dont make money off the sun or wind etc so they will fight tooth and nail to keep themselves in the green stuff. how hard the rest of us fight will determine the uptake.
    i have ede, dye, arw, and slx. once power becomes more expensive, as t flannery was saying the other night, renew's are competitive. we western consumers are obliged to pay more for power, after all, only the very selfish would deny we are part of the problem. if my dog shiits in the park, i clean it up.

5. BIG BWACULL

BIG BWACULL

Wave generators basically how they work.
    Oscillating Water Column

The Oscillating Water Column (OWC) generates electricity in a two step process. As a wave enters the column, it forces the air in the column past a turbine and increases the pressure within the column. As the wave retreats, the air is drawn back past the turbine due to the reduced air pressure on the ocean side of the turbine (see Figures 1a and 1b). Irrespective of the airflow direction, the turbine (referred to as a Wells turbine, after its inventor) turns in the same direction and drives a generator to produce electricity.

Attached Files:

6. arminius

arminius

not a big fan of these things. im assuming its the energtech design. they look like a mutant hermit crab... too ugly and intrusive. if they move them further out its only further to transmit the energy. ceto looks interesting though. (i dont have shares in energtech or carnegie)

7. BIG BWACULL

BIG BWACULL

8. Smurf1976

Smurf1976

Aesthetics versus sustainability. The exact same argument often used against practically all renewable energy sources, especially wind, hydro and solar which account for virtually all non-firewood renewble energy use in developed countries.

9. mexican

mexican

They are testing this system in the US to power up desal plants, as they use alot of electricity, nearly more than a aluminium refinary plant.
    Linc energy, Arrow energy, etc are the companies that will do well in this climate change era as big mining companies look to reduce CO2.
    To fix alot of the CO2 problem, CARS!
    It will take a long time to fix this problem, affects too many people. Black gold to important!

10. BIG BWACULL

BIG BWACULL

Even the small players get kicked in the teeth its sad to see that many that want to make a difference cant get past the red tape :banghead: If i looked next door and saw a wind turbine spinning, knowing it was making clean green power i'd sit back and go F#%K yeah look a that, i gotta get one, who cares about aesthetics when we know if we don't start now there wont be anything to look at years down the track anyhow. SAD SAD SAD :mad:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=3213383

11. BIG BWACULL

BIG BWACULL

I am a fan of anything that produces no emissions regardless of what it looks like, or if it intrudes on peoples million dollar views, Below is a link to a video the ceto model, must admit it is less intrusive. Carnegie corp, asx: CNM

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/australiawide/video/default.htm?program=austwide&pres=20070518_1510&story=1

12. BIG BWACULL

BIG BWACULL

WAVE ENERGY Check this little monster out

Attached Files:

13. BIG BWACULL

BIG BWACULL

Thats One HUGE B%#@H :eek:

Attached Files:

14. BIG BWACULL

BIG BWACULL

Last Update: Monday, May 7, 2007. 11:37am (AEST)
    Lake Cargelligo chosen as solar energy project trial site

Attached Files:

15. chops_a_must

chops_a_must Printing My Own Money

Thought plugging this was appropriate, seeing as it invloves my department at UNI. :D

16. BIG BWACULL

BIG BWACULL

17. noone

noone

You certainly seem to have a lot of information there. Something you did not show or talk about. Solar thermal power using cheap flat mirrors and associated storage by splitting ammonia and recombining it to produce the heat during night and cloudy weather. This method enables base power, medium, or peak on demand. Unfortunately our scientists have had to go to the States to get funding for this in venture capital. A giga watt plant is being built using this method. When we in Australia have so much renewable energy potential e.g. an area 50x50km somewhere in the desert can supply all of Australia’s energy requirements including the production of hydrogen for motor vehicles and it can be done right now as it is based on mature available technology and will produce no CO2 and the energy is available forever without having to did it up transport or refine it (as in the case of uranium) and is not a terrorist threat why are we trying to go down the nuclear path? Are we all mad? Why do we not invest in it? I can see no safe way we will be able to run the nuclear industry as we live in a world that is entrenched in crazy ideologies. Those who invest in renewables and get in on the ground floor now will be very rich indeed as renewables will be the only way to go. And by the way; where did this fictitious figure of $40/ton of CO2 carbon trading come from for renewables to be come competitive? Solar thermal is set to be the cheapest power source yet available as it is already nearing the price of coal power in the USA and will soon beat it. Further info on solar thermal power can be seen at www.trec.net.au and http://www.trec-uk.org.uk

18. Smurf1976

Smurf1976

No CO2? What about the huge amounts of fossil fuels needed to build it? We're talking about lots of energy intensive materials here, the production of which will release CO2. That's not an argument against the idea since overall it would be low enough not to matter (as with wind, geothermal and most hydro), but I think "less" would be a better description than "no".

Even a wind turbine emits CO2 in its manufacture (though it only comes to 20 - 30 kg/MWh versus 800+ from coal). Solar photovoltaic (not solar thermal) isn't a great deal better than CCGT when all things are considered due to the energy used in manufacture. Nuclear emits quite a bit of CO2 for much the same reasons.
    Totally agreed there.

Natural gas is a lot more risky in this regard than many realise too both in a physical danger sense and national security implications. LNG is incredibly hazardous stuff if the tank ruptures or is attacked in some way. Likewise it is incredibly easy to disrupt the supply of gas if someone wants to inflict major economic harm.
    A point noted as early as the 1950's in the context of hydro-electricity in Tasmania. If you have constant inflation (which we do) then at some point the annual revenue exceeds the entire cost of building the scheme in the first place. The only question being when. The same applies to any low maintenance long lasting source of energy.
    That is the approximate cost of CO2 emission reduction using wind or other "easy" and "competitive" renewable options. They aren't a long term solution however and the options that would work are by their very nature large, not easy and don't fit well with the almighty god of "competition" (never mind that competition hasn't resulted in the promised improvement in the international competitivness of Australia's power industry - main thing it's done is reduce generation operating efficiency IMO).

19. BIG BWACULL

BIG BWACULL

What is the name of this cycle, I know of the kalina cycle is this the same as it also uses ammonia and water mix to improve efficiecys in powere consumption in industrys that produce a lot of waste heat. i.e smelters and even geodynamics asx GDY are using a new and improved version of this cycle
    which they have patents pending on, Which theyll use to get more power out of the warmer waste water after the initial Geothermal conversion uses the super hot water.

20. BIG BWACULL

BIG BWACULL

SUPER BIKE :eek: heh heh

Attached Files: