• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum
  1. Guest, entries in the Full CY 2020 Tipping Competition are now open and close at midnight on 31 December. With $1,850 in cash to be won you'd have to be crazy not to enter. Please post your entries in the Tipping Competition for Full CY 2020 thread in the ASX Stock Chat forum. Good luck!

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

Relationships within the stock market

Discussion in 'Beginner's Lounge' started by rynman, Jul 28, 2013.

sentifi.com

Aussie Stock Forum Sentifi Top themes and market attention on:

1. rynman

rynman

Hi guys

I think this is my first (or 2nd?) post, but hopefully one of many in this community. I've recently decided to start educating myself on stock markets and have been doing a lot of reading.

I've got a statistical background and was wondering if analysts have found any relationships between different sets of data within the stock market? i.e. if one industry is trending down, another tends to improve....things like that. There's a wealth of data there to do historical analysis, and surely people have run models to try and generate something predictive.

Is this a case of people possibly doing exactly this, and keeping it under wraps for their own benefit? Or does this type of thing happen all the time?

Or is it generally know that this is just a waste of time....you can't use the movement or performance of one or many indicators to accurately predict another.

I don't expect a detailed answer, just hoping to generate some discussion.

Thanks guys!

Ryan

2. Gringotts Bank

Gringotts Bank

Google "pairs trading".

3. skc

skc Goldmember

The broad term to search for is quantitative methods in trading. Quants (i.e. maths geeks working in Wall Street) use some of the most complicated strategies on the market to observse relationships between everything. Note however these guys have a bit more than just a statistical "background" - they are more like multiple PhDs or quantum physics professors etc. The field is extrememly wide.

But sometimes simple things may work as well - this is not a bad place to dip your toes.

http://quantifiableedges.blogspot.com.au/

4. sinner

sinner