Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Queensland Government Daylight Savings E-Petition

Reactions
And while we're on the subject of daylight savings, what about the late start that NSW, Vic and SA have?

There seems to be agreement that daylight savings ought to end around the time of the Autumn equinox (late March) so it is therefore purely logical in terms of the actual sunset and sunrise times that it should start around the time of the Spring equinox (late September). Unfortunately, most states delay the start by about 5 weeks for some strange reason although Tasmania only delays it until the beginning of October (already on daylight savings now). 6 months would fit nicely with what other countries do and it worked nicely for the Sydney Olympics.

Whilst I do acknowledge that some people would rather not have daylight savings at all, the lopsided starting 2 months before the Summer solstice and ending 3 months after it really doesn't make sense at all apart from "because that's what we do". :2twocents :)

Julia

In Memoriam
Reactions
The Estimator said:
Hi All

If you in queensland and think we should get with the times (or repeat history as most would remember) please take the time to sign this petition. it takes about 30 secs. Name and address pretty much.

http://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/EPetitions_QLD/cgi-bin/Petitions.cgi?Action=1

Cheers

John
jOHN,

Done. Though I think the chances of Peter Beattie even considering this are minimal. Costs business in Qld many millions every year because we are out of step with the rest of the coast.

Julia

Reactions
Here is another e-petition up and running to bring in Daylight Saving to Qld. It really doesn't bother me too much one way or the other as far as lifestyle goes, but it does matter for my trading.

It is a nuisance when for six months of the year we run with the same time as Sydney and then for six months we are an hour out. Probably many businesses find the same issue as we go in and out of sync with the southern states.

Here is a link for those who would like to sign this e-petition. Those that are keen to promote it, suggest you post it on facebook or email it to friends, etc...:)

http://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/work-of-assembly/petitions/e-petition?PetNum=2182

The petition closes on the 15th March next year.

Reactions
In Western Australia, daylight saving has been rejected by referendum 4 times. The last one was after a 3-year forced trial.

It's unlikely to be raised again here in any substantive form for a considerable period of time.

Following the fourth rejection of daylight saving time in a referendum the issue was described as being dead for a generation, with Premier Colin Barnett saying that "it should not be considered for another 20 years.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Australian_daylight_saving_referendum,_2009

The problem with daylight savings in the states that do have it is that the period is now too long and this I suspect would be a disincentive in relation to achieving the popular vote in the remaining states.

The last Sunday in October to the first Sunday in March as it was in South Australia in the 70's and 80's struck me as about right. This was a good balance between day length and the warmer part of the year bearing in mind the latter does lag to some extent.