• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

Queensland Border needs to remain closed to NSW

Discussion in 'Business, Investment and Economics' started by Garpal Gumnut, May 21, 2020.

1. Garpal Gumnut

Garpal Gumnut

It is understandable that Mrs Berejiklian the Premier of NSW wishes to loosen the hordes of grey nomads, bogans and the rich of NSW on Queensland. It is equally understandable that Ms. Palaszczuk the Premier of Queensland should wish to repel them.

Queensland needs NSW less than the reverse. Economically our mines, agriculture and essential industries remain operative.

Tourism has brought nothing but disease and foreign cultural and economic hegemony to those parts of Queensland now in deep recession. There has been a hollowing out over forty years of what it means to be a Queenslander.

Who needs NSW?

gg

explod, PZ99 and Iggy_Pop like this.
  2. Junior

Junior

WA, Qld and SA are going to regret their border closures if they continue down this path for too long, in my opinion. VIC and NSW will bounce back much faster with freer movement of people between those two states, and soon enough with some overseas countries.

WA, Qld and SA will see the virus come back again, unless they wish to stay closed for for a year or longer...unsustainable practice as the rest of Australian and rest of the World seeks to re-open now, to save jobs and livelihoods.

explod and qldfrog like this.
  3. rederob

rederob

I support Sir Garpal.
    Furthermore, the potential increase in IQ that would flow to Qld would be exceptionally deleterious.
    Our prosperous futures - as all investors appreciate - are reliant on continued backwardation.

IFocus, explod and Iggy_Pop like this.
  4. PZ99

PZ99 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Why settle for closing the borders ? Go for the full secede on June 6 with the Q161 banner :)

[​IMG]

Iggy_Pop likes this.
  5. Dona Ferentes

Dona Ferentes

wasn't that the old joke, the original win-win: Victorians migrating to Qld help raise the average IQ of both states?

But seriously, now Daylight Saving is over, I don't need to adjust my watch every time I visit, as it doesn't have a decade hand.

explod likes this.
  6. PZ99

PZ99 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I vaguely remember the tourism ad - "Queensland.. 9am one day, 9am the next" :)

explod likes this.
  7. rederob

rederob

It's true that Queenlanders only invested in solar panels to for daylight saving, but we don't wear watches anymore because the left hand never knows what the right hand is doing at the best of times.

explod likes this.
  8. Bill M

Bill M Self Funded Retiree

They are desperate for tourists up there.

---
    It’s been revealed that the Gold Coast tourism industry is still losing over $300 million a month, while travel restrictions remain in place.

Tourism bosses are already working on the way out of the coronavirus crisis, hoping the industry will bounce back once it’s all over.

Though the longer the Gold Coast is without tourists, the longer our tourism industry suffers.

http://www.mygc.com.au/gold-coast-tourism-industry-still-losing-310m-a-month/

---

9. Humid

Humid

New South Wales had the Ruby Princess — I mean, seriously? And they are trying to give us advice on our borders? Do you think I should listen to them? I’m not listening to them.

— Mark McGowan

Smurf1976, IFocus, Iggy_Pop and 2 others like this.
  10. qldfrog

qldfrog

the sheer loss is incredible, in a state with a normal literate Premier, Qld would be crying for the opening of borders, just losing the international travelers is a tragedy.
    and now she prevent even Victorians weather refugees to come in.
    We all know health is not the issue as our federal expert has been clear there, what for?

11. jbocker

jbocker

Just what is a sustainable practice with Covid-19? Should we look to USA, Brazil?
    We are 'opening' quicker than the other states, we are in an enviable position and to keep that, is something most of us value. When the infection rate is acceptable with other entities then border openings will be considered. The second wave is going to be a problem and the worst of that would be another lock down. Not seeing much regret in the closures yet, right now there could be far more regret if we open them. Hopefully patience will bring a greater understanding.
    I think in the longer term there is value in keeping covid-19 well managed.

IFocus likes this.
  12. rederob

rederob

the sheer loss is incredible, in a state with a normal literate Premier, WA would be crying for the opening of borders, just losing the international travelers is a tragedy.
    and now he prevents even those Eastern States weather refugees from coming in.
    We all know health is not the issue as our federal expert has been clear there, what for?

(with sincere thanks to @qldfrog)

13. SirRumpole

SirRumpole

Ah politics, ya gotta love it . :rolleyes:

Iggy_Pop, qldfrog and sptrawler like this.
  14. Junior

Junior

If they want to isolate, it won't affect the rest of the nation much at all. They are far away with a small population. It will cripple their economy though, with a huge impact on tourism, FIFO etc. They are shooting themselves in the foot.

15. Junior

Junior

I strongly agree it needs careful management. But keeping people in their homes, unemployed, not able to visit friends and family, no tourism etc. is not a sustainable way to manage this virus. It needs to be weighed up with the severe economic and mental health toll which comes with lock-down and border closures. Tourism is one of our biggest industries, and it really needs State borders open to try and start to get back on it's feet.

I doubt any Australian state can isolate itself for an extended period without completely crippling its economy. Furthermore, we ALL have to pay the price of that decision, as that isolated state will end up with more unemployed, more on welfare etc. than other states, which the rest of us have to pay for.

We now have greatly expanded hospital capacity, PPE supplies, contact tracing and new policy around distancing, hygiene etc. for workplaces. I think we have to cop the fact that some people are going to get this virus (and the vast majority will be fine), but we need to go back to work, take a holiday etc. as the alternative is simply unworkable, unless a very effective vaccine comes soon (unlikely!).

macca, qldfrog, SirRumpole and 2 others like this.
  16. Humid

Humid

The best thing about Fifo at the moment is social distancing
    Planes half full
    Crib rooms one per table
    Dual cab utes one driver one passenger diagonal in the back
    All food now served no self service
    Grubs forced to wash their hands
    All the interstate scumbags are now here full time which I enjoy reminding them
    I’m on 2 on 2off living the dream oh and it’s finally cooled down a bit

17. PZ99

PZ99 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Yeppers... it's a geographical war of words between the far left and the far right with everyone else caught in the crossfire.

qldfrog likes this.
  18. rederob

rederob

I have made a fortune in recent months smuggling desperate Cornstalks and Mexicans across the border.
    If you have loved ones in need of the Queen's blessing please contact my agent @peterdutton.5 who pays our Border Force well to turn a blind eye.

Junior and Boggo like this.
  19. jbocker

jbocker

In the meantime we will need the locals to step up and have more holidays within their own states. Which frankly is long overdue. This is probably the opportunity to rebalance priority, if it really matters of where to spend money as a tourist.
    I think Australia will become a holiday destination of choice. Who's crowded beach or bar would you feel safest to be in, one in an Australia or Brazil (leave the sharks out of this :))
    We are almost there, bars and beaches are very soon open, and will be appreciated much more.

20. Junior

Junior

Agree. There's a number of silver linings in this crisis.

jbocker likes this.