Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Qld cyclone

Reactions
I'm sure we are all keeping our fingers crossed for our members in the path of this cyclone.

Julia, noco, Joe, Garpal and others, I hope you are battened down and lying low and good luck.

Reactions
I am in Mackay and we didn't even get a breath of it. Most of those listed above live far north of here.

Closest affected I'd say would be Julia in the hours to come.

I went to boarding school in Yeppoon, and still have a few friends live there. They will be battering down now for sure!

pinkboy

Joe Blow

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
Julia, noco, Joe, Garpal and others, I hope you are battened down and lying low and good luck.
Thanks for the concern Rumpole. At the moment Brisbane is doing OK with just steady rain, not particularly hard but enough to give the garden a good soaking. I get the feeling most of SEQ won't see much worse than this, but only time will tell.

pixel

DIY Trader
Reactions
Thanks for the concern Rumpole. At the moment Brisbane is doing OK with just steady rain, not particularly hard but enough to give the garden a good soaking. I get the feeling most of SEQ won't see much worse than this, but only time will tell.
That's a relief, Joe.
I hope it stays that way.

Good luck to all Queenslanders - we're thinking of you. :xyxthumbs

Julia

In Memoriam
Reactions
It's quite weird. All day yesterday, heavy rain and strong winds. Emptied about 2000 litres from the pool in anticipation of predicted 500mls of rain. Then all went quiet about 2am, rain stopped, wind died away.

Woke to bright sunny morning, very hot and humid, blue sky. False reassurance, I expect.

It's a Cat 5 so wherever it makes landfall it's going to be very destructive. Could well be here.

Thanks, Rumpole, for the thread - much appreciated. I'm more than a bit scared.

Knobby22

Mmmmmm 2nd breakfast
Reactions
Looks like a pretty direct hit on Rockhampton.
Good luck Julia and anyone else nearby.

Wysiwyg

Everyone wants money
Reactions
The coast crossing was relatively low populated and quickly became a Cat. 3. These things have about a 50 klm radius of destruction and would have to be in the direct path to experience any serious damage to property and plant. These things are energising I reckon. Natural energy.

Wysiwyg

Everyone wants money
Reactions
I am within the 50 klm radius now and gusts are at 80 klm/h according to BOM. Took a picture of the damage a tree sustained in the front yard at 4.30 pm est. (about 20 minutes ago). Absolutely no fear of these things after previous experiences and knowing what wind speed is required to do damage. I reckon Cat 2. now.

IMG_0060[1].jpg

Julia

In Memoriam
Reactions
The coast crossing was relatively low populated and quickly became a Cat. 3. These things have about a 50 klm radius of destruction and would have to be in the direct path to experience any serious damage to property and plant. These things are energising I reckon. Natural energy.
The people in Yeppoon and Rockhampton whose houses have been destroyed and all the surrounding people who will be without electricity for several days possibly don't feel all that energised.

Wysiwyg

Everyone wants money
Reactions
The people in Yeppoon and Rockhampton whose houses have been destroyed and all the surrounding people who will be without electricity for several days possibly don't feel all that energised.
Yes some will be having to deal with their property damage and no electricity. A lot of Rockhampton has old houses so roofs would have gone for sure. According to BOM, the maximum wind gust there was 113 klm/h at 12.50 p.m. this afternoon. Yeppoon had max. gusts 156 klm/h at 12.30 p.m. this afternoon so the wind really dropped off once the cyclone crossed to land. Probably the hills and mountains disrupt the free air flow. Not sure why. I was out in 83 klm/h max. wind gusts doing a short video this afternoon and I felt excited.

You really have to be near the eye of these things to get wind damage.

p.s. let's not forget a good sou-easter gusts at about 50 klm/h.

Joe Blow

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
I'm on the southside of Brisbane about 5km from the CBD and there was no problem at all here. The rainfall where I am was nothing out of the ordinary and it all now appears to be well and truly over. The rain has stopped and the sky is clearing.

My thoughts are with those who were in the path of the cyclone. I have heard that there was no loss of life and I hope that report is true and that the communities affected get back on their feet quickly.

Reactions
I've got some friends and family friends who didn't fare so well in Yeppoon and Rockhampton.

Worst affected $$$ wise had collapsed roofs and structural damage to sheds.

What is more inconvenient is the fact that critical infrastructure such as electricity could take 1 day to 4 weeks before being restored. I'm sure those workers are doing what they can to help people get back on track.

There was talk of fuel gouging straight after the event, but that has been quickly shut down.

Also (hearsay), heard of some looting in the dark hours of Friday night in Rocky.

pinkboy

Julia

In Memoriam
Reactions
Thanks for asking, Rumpole.
I echo Joe's comments. Looking at the map of the cyclone throughout the whole event, and despite predictions that it could make landfall as far south as Hervey Bay, there was this peculiar little pocket here which showed little in the way of anything unusual.
Only about 20 mls of the massive amount of rain predicted, and just one night of strong wind.

But I so feel for the people in Yeppoon and Rockhampton plus smaller outlying areas which have been so badly hit. I can't imagine what it must feel like to see your home in rubble. Then they have to contend with many days, maybe weeks for some, of no electricity, and limited water because the water treatment plant needs electricity to function.

On the positive side, it's heartening to see the new Labor Premier quickly up there and organising for the army to come in to help. Good for her.
And where would we be without the volunteers in the SES and other organisations? So reassuring to see that community spirit is alive and well.

Reactions
Glad to hear it wasn't as bad as expected for you and others Julia. These things can be tricky.

explod

explod
Reactions
Rather than start a new thread spotted this of S.R.

Cyclone Debbie looming 500 k's north east of Townsville. Was catigorised as Cat1 early today but now indicating catigory 5. Have family up there and hope all goes ok. Interesting to have local takes. You there somewhere noco ?

Reactions
Rather than start a new thread spotted this of S.R.

Cyclone Debbie looming 500 k's north east of Townsville. Was catigorised as Cat1 early today but now indicating catigory 5. Have family up there and hope all goes ok. Interesting to have local takes. You there somewhere noco ?
Yes I am here in Townsville and well prepared....We are bracing for a Cat 4 ATM.....Tracking to hit just south of Townsville.

Has been a beautiful day here today with mostly blue skies and so calm.

I have been through 4 since 1971 so I know what to expect.