Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Protecting Assets

Modest

$PEPE
Reaction score
Hypothetically speaking if my girlfriend was paying me rent and living with me would she be entitled to my house/apartment as she was renting a room from therefore this technically would protect me after 6 months if she tries to take half my stuff (house for example)?

Reaction score
I looked into this not long ago. There is a website which answers it but I can't remember the link.

From memory as long as she isn't paying bills etc the house is yours.

But as per other members suggestion seek legal advice. If I members the website I'll link it for you

Reaction score
If you're worried, pre-nup. the title Defacto is achieved very easily these days. In fact she would probably be able to get something even if she wasn't defined as a defacto partner.

A guy I work with is about to go through something similar(except he is going to propose soon). He is building a house for them to live in, 'rent' it out to her, and claim he isn't even living in the house - moving back in with mum. He is also getting a pre-nup drawn up. I feel sorry for the poor girl, to me all it shows is lack of commitment and trust.