• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

Most liked posts in thread: Protect Australians against scammers

1. moXJO

moXJO menace to society

Theres a couple of ways. The main one is a banner or ad pops up from a phone ap and you accidentally hit it. Sometimes its just from downloading apps and then it automatically signs you on. You then get slugged a monthly fee ($15) on your phone bill. They can say you hit the button and opted-in even if you didn't. It can be a pain in the rear to undo.

bellenuit likes this.
  2. basilio

basilio

Clever little scam isn't it.. Havn't been caught myself but can see how by accident or otherwise it will get people in.
    Always wonder though how we actually enforce such a regulation. For a start you ned a decent law/regulation in place. Then you need an authority with the capacity to hunt and willingness to take action. Finally some teeth at the end of it.. In a world that is decrying the nanny state and wanting to let business run free that sort of intervention is not likely to get interest except from those being scammed .

pixel likes this.
  3. bellenuit

bellenuit

What's an example of a "one click opt in". I don't think I have come across them, but certainly have received umpteen emails promising a fortune which I always delete. I even got one this morning.

4. moXJO

moXJO menace to society

It use to be "two click" for sign up and they changed it to one.

Another scam is the free goods or samples from various stores.

Or currently, scammers will call and begin with "Can you hear me" and when you answer "yes" they record it and use it as confirmation to whatever they want to sign you up to.

5. pixel

pixel DIY Trader

that wouldn't stand up in any Court - editing soundbytes is very tricky and doesn't take much to prove. No ISP or bank with a remote interest of staying in business in Australia would even hesitate to reverse such charges.
    But of course, if people get caught and neglect to check their bills ...