• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

Projected NBN prices

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by banco, Jul 21, 2011.

1. banco

banco

2. drsmith

drsmith

From the link above,

Is that a fair comparison ?

What about those with VOIP instead of landline rental ?

3. trainspotter

trainspotter

What about the ones who do not have a landline and have chosen to go for mobile only?

I think it is a bit early to be too critical just yet. They still have to connect the rest of Oz land to the shiny blue cable which is going to take about 7 - 10 years. Lot's can happen in this amount of time.

4. bellenuit

bellenuit

The prices don't seem too out of whack, provided you want the actual speeds being offered.

One downside to very fast speeds, particularly if you are on a relatively low download limit of 50GB or less say, is that you tend to waste a lot of download capacity when you are just casually viewing videos to see if any are interesting.

For instance, I am really in to TED talks, but I might only watch 20% or 30% of the talks in full. I usually start viewing a talk and if after a few minutes I find it not interesting, I skip to another. On low bandwidth links, the amount downloaded is often just a bit more than the portion you have watched, so if you watch 10% of a 50MB video say, perhaps only 7 or 8MB have been downloaded when you decide to skip the rest. But with fast links, you may find the whole 50MB has been downloaded.

So you may find that if you are skipping between YouTube videos, watching just bits but not all of most, you may find on NBN links you have downloaded 10 or 11 times more in the space of an hour than you would have downloaded using typical ADSL links today. So people may find that the increase in speed alone may force them to go for a much higher download limit than they currently need for the same workload.

5. Aussiejeff

Aussiejeff

I think an awful lot of first time NBN'ers are going to get a rude shock when they zoom past the 30GB/mth limit within a couple of weeks and get shaped back to pre-ADSL crawl speeds! LOL. I can imagine the phone exchanges getting jammed with irate calls to NBN favoured ISP's to "upgrade my plane quickly, PLEEEAAASSSEEE!!!"

Hmmm. I currently have a 100GB ADSL2+ plan with Bigpond (in Wodonga) which costs $109/mth (includes line rental, free local calls, $1 cap untimed STD calls, discount International calls & T-Box).

No other ADSL2+ bundle plan from Bigpond has those features I want (above) at a lower cap limit. The next cap down in their bundles is a laughable 5GB p/mth!! :eek:

Due to distance from the nearest ADSL2+ enabled exchange, my best speed is only 5.6MB D/L / .6 MB U/L.

I currently average around 15GB per mth at those speeds, with occasional spikes up to a max so far of 20GB over the last couple of years. Bigpond's stability of service has been much better than the cheaper TPG crap service I was on (allways had frequent dropouts, service outages etc before switching to Bigpond).

Forget the 100MB speed. I'd actually be rapt with the lower speed 25/5 NBN service - that would still mean ~ 4-5x faster browsing & d/ling for me. Plenty good enough for stable HD IPTV video services :D

If Internode even supplied NBN to Wodonga?... I reckon I'd have to go for their 25/5MB, 200GB/Mth Silver Plan ($90/mth). However, that price DOES NOT include a T-Box, free Australia-wide local calls, $1 capped STD calls. A plan with all these "extras" is still going to cost me around $40 on top of that $90 - so around $130/Mth? Then again, I'll probably still be with Bigpond, so make that $150/Mth??!! :cool:

Additionally, I'm a bit concerned at these comments from Internode's manager further on in that SMH article-
    Hopefully, 200GB/mth will be enough for me to enjoy full HD IPTV & online movie hire services. Then again, I wouldn't be surprised to find that won't be enough either - and I'll have to "upgrade" to 500GB/mth before too long. LOL.

Oh well. I better not hold my breath. NBN to Wodonga may as well be light years awaaaayyyyy....

6. Starcraftmazter

Starcraftmazter

It will be like ADSL, come down in price overtime. Hopefully NBN comes up with a half decent pricing model as well.

The only thing I want is higher quotas.

7. Aussiejeff

Aussiejeff

Exetel releases commercial NBN prices http://www.zdnet.com.au/exetel-releases-commercial-nbn-prices-339319168.htm

Interesting blog quote by Exetel boss Linton re NBN future pricing...

Hmmm..... :cool:

8. Starcraftmazter

Starcraftmazter

I used to be with Exetel...take everything Linton says and does with a grain of salt. Simon Hackett is a much better person to listen to.