• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Portfolio Margin A/c in USA

Discussion in 'International Markets' started by mjim, Jun 19, 2017 at 7:50 PM.

1. mjim

mjim

In following type of trading does it matter if the a/c is Cash a/c / Reg T margin a/c or Portfolio Margin A/c ( all US market)

1) Scenario 1: Say one has 10K in a/c and is long an Option worth 10K ( call / put does not matter)
    Given that to be long an option is a limited risk strategy one has to have 100% of that money upfront.
    If that is true then having a portfolio margin a/c has no real advantage is it?
    Please correct me if I am wrong
    1) Scenario 1: Say one has 10K in a/c and is long an Option Spread worth 10K ( call / put does not matter)
    Given that to be long an option spread is a limited risk strategy one has to have 100% of that money upfront.
    If that is true then having a portfolio margin a/c has no real advantage is it?
    Please correct me if I am wrong

2. minwa

minwa Well-Known Offender

You will have lower margin requirements typically with portfolio margining. A long option/spread "worth 10k" will not require 10k margin with portfolio margining.

Advantage (that many will not need, but nevertheless it is an advantage) ? Yes when risk is managed properly, it allows you more positions. Do most people require this ? Not really unless you max your account out with margin in straight options/spreads.

For option sellers it is a advantage for higher potential returns (also losses).

3. mjim

mjim

"You will have lower margin requirements typically with portfolio margining."
    Yes that is true for naked option selling or combination of underlying + option like Covered calls , I understand that but when it is a straight forward Option purchase ( hypothetically say one qualifies for PM with 110K in a/c and say the entire 110K worth of Options are bought , then sicn eteh rule is you must have the entire purchase price of an option premium . and if this is true then it does not matter if that a/c is cash a/c Margin T account or PM a/c! becasue you have to have the entire premium amount on table! correct!

4. minwa

Correct of course you can do the trade in both accounts.., but you are at advantage (margin wise) to be with P/M.

5. mjim

mjim

How though? assume a scenario if it is only purchasing options, Is it not true that purchasing option means you must have 100% of your own money! so for example 1 ES futures ATM option cost 30 point x$50 = $1500 you cant get leverage within hat $1500! you cant just have $500 of your own and broker allows you to purchase the $1500 option! In case of other unlimited risk strategy Yes PM margin helps so for example Covered Calls without PM will require more capital that I understand , as explained here
    https://tickertape.tdameritrade.com/thinkmoney/2015/07/portfolio-margin-102209
    But this article does not show the scenario I am talking about ,, By the way let me explain why I am trying to find this out a US based LLC is offering a LLC partnership where few traders put in say 25K in a LLC held a/c with sub accounts for each trader,,, so with few of them together the LLC can easily have more than 110K required for PM account.. ok so far so good , BUT he then says they will only allow Limited risk strategy and only in Option...ok that is fine too , meaning Long Option or Long Option spreads... NO stock purchasing or things like CC... Hence my question! if is is only Option long then where does having a part of PM a/c benefit!

6. minwa

That IS the purpose of margin. Not to have to put up 100% of your own money, yes ? It applies to straight option too.

Buying a ES Aug 2450 Call costing 32.5 points only requires me to put up $8k margin. Not sure why you are questioning margining doing its job. It applies in straight calls/puts.

I am assuming you are talking Hedge Capital Group ?

7. mjim

mjim

"Buying a ES Aug 2450 Call costing 32.5 points only requires me to put up $8k margin"
    32.5x50 = $1625 to purchase 1 call, so first of all I dont know how do you get $8000?
    besides that to purchase the above mentioned call, is it not true that one has to have the $1625 of his own!
    reg witch group I will PM;)

8. minwa

Oops fat finger, meant to be $800.

I have other positions in the account though, which is when portfolio margining kicks in even further by considering you diversified.

9. mjim

mjim

32.5 x 50 = 1625 ... still dont understand how you arrive at $800 and also in my examples I was saying only option buying ...PM does in other situations sure but in straight forward long options how does it help?

10. minwa

I don't understand the exact formula behind P/M margin either, I don't think it is publicly available. It's just lower, which is an advantage in the end.

11. mjim

mjim

I thought you knew how pM works!
    so that $800 example did you see that in a PM enabled a/c or your guess?
    "It's just lower, which is an advantage in the end.: Yes yes it does as shown in that article ,,,,but does it apply to Log options?. which are supposed to be fully funded positions ! Has anybody heard of paying only partial premium for an option!

12. minwa

Na I don't know exactly how to calculate it. I only know it lower your margin requirement as you asked in your first post.

$800 is what I need to pay, with my current positions on. It will change as I close my positions out or add new positions.

"Paying only partial premium" is exactly the same as "paying only partial share price" in share margins.