Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Overall market return?

Reactions
Hi, am a beginner learning value investing.

Am trying to workout the rough yield between investment classes.

With regards to a indexing option, where can i find the data to calculate the overall long term return of an index fund such as VAS?
- with the dividend yield, maybe take the average of a few years?
- and with the long term capital appreciation, which price do we take for beginning and ending point to work out a compound growth rate?

Both of these are heavily dependent on the particular price paid?

Reactions
Hi, am a beginner learning value investing.

Am trying to workout the rough yield between investment classes.

With regards to a indexing option, where can i find the data to calculate the overall long term return of an index fund such as VAS?
- with the dividend yield, maybe take the average of a few years?
- and with the long term capital appreciation, which price do we take for beginning and ending point to work out a compound growth rate?

Both of these are heavily dependent on the particular price paid?
It wont be perfect but you can use the ASX200 or 300 accumulation index as a proxy. CAGR can be measured over any time frame (buy/sell price) just make sure you are comparing apples with apples (same 10 year period if comparing two ETF's)

Reactions
It wont be perfect but you can use the ASX200 or 300 accumulation index as a proxy. CAGR can be measured over any time frame (buy/sell price) just make sure you are comparing apples with apples (same 10 year period if comparing two ETF's)
Is there a way to get around choosing one particular buy and one sell date? Which dates do you chose?
To see what return one would get 'on average'?

Reactions
Also how do i work out the dividend return and earnings/price of an index across time?
Where would i find this data to pluck numbers from?