• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

Online trading platforms - demo accounts, etc.

Discussion in 'Brokers' started by shortlist, Aug 26, 2009.

1. shortlist

shortlist

Hello all

I posted this earlier but with an unclear post title - maybe mods could delete the other thread I created?

I'm just starting to look into investing and am trying out some demo accounts, IGMarkets being my first try. Is there anyone else here playing round with this thing? How are you going? Am I to understand that the "margin" represents the percentage of my overall money that is in an open position, and that will have to be paid back to the broker? Also, I have questions about the speed with which buys and sells are executed without direct access software, etc.

Apologies if all the terms are wrong but this is all new to me, so it's Investment 101 stuff I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance
    Shorty

2. newdog

newdog

Bump

I'm looking for a demo trading program/account so i can have ago at trading.

Tried E Trade but cannot even log into the demo with the provided links on my email.
    Tried IG, cannot just buy and sell.

I want to research and use something to learn with if you get me.

Thanks. Paul.

3. CanOz

CanOz Home runs feel good, but base hits pay bills!

City Index has a demo with stocks, forex and futures...i tried it for a couple of weeks. good for some basic practice:2twocents.

4. greasy_pancakes

greasy_pancakes

Trade Direct 365 has a good platform. The demo lasts 28 days.

Try it out.

5. lesm

lesm

There are demo platforms also available from ThinkForex, and Oanda (Aust) that do not expire.

Oanda graphics are not that great, but they do the basic job.

ThinkForex cTrader only provides access to Fx (ECN), but they provide access to stocks, indices and FX via MT4. They are planning to provide access to all indices and stocks, in addition to Fx via cTrader at some time.

PepperStone is out there as well.

Check out their web sites and see if they fit what you are looking for.

No shortage of platforms available, but having a non-expiring demo application gives you an ongoing platform to test ideas out. Forex Factory has a Brokers section on its site and a number of them are available for use in Australia. The list also provides an indication of which regulators the brokers are operating under, which is useful.