• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

OK Boomer

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Knobby22, Nov 24, 2019.

sentifi.com

Aussie Stock Forum Sentifi Top themes and market attention on:

1. Knobby22

Knobby22 Mmmmmm 2nd breakfast

Read an article in the Age today defending Boomers (or Me Generation) which made me laugh.

It used the example of Jane Fonda as a boomer who cares about the environment and does something about it.
    Might as well have used David Attenborough or the Queen. She is not a boomer, born in 1937. She is the wars years generation, the generation that had it tough.

I am so with the millennials which my kids are (born 2000 and 2003). Every time I see them screw over the younger generations, rig the tax system and act as stoppers for environmental action and loudly tell us they haven't stuffed the world I think this in my head now.......OK Boomer.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
    IFocus and Value Collector like this.
  2. Smurf1976

Smurf1976

Personally I avoid the generalisations.

Some Boomers have done some crap things most certainly. So have some Gen X, Gen Y, men, women, white people, black people and so on. There's good and bad in every group.

Likewise I could say that most men don't abuse women. Most people who drink alcohol don't throw a punch at anyone. Most Westpac shareholders didn't knowingly own a company that's allegedly facilitated serious crime. And so on.

Practical reality though is that it's largely Gen X in power these days. There are exceptions of course but increasingly the Boomer generation has left / is leaving the board rooms and political offices and it's now Gen X filling those shoes and to a presently limited but inevitably increasing extent Gen Y.

As with any changing of the guard, you can only blame your predecessors for so long before it becomes excuse making for your own failures. Looking at Australian politics, the only Boomer Prime Ministers we've had were Rudd, Gillard, Abbott and Turnbull.

Howard, Keating and Hawke were all born prior to that and Morrison's a Gen X.

If there's a problem now then it could be blamed on the Boomers assuming it's only been a problem for the past decade or two. If it's still a problem a decade from now well then blaming the Boomer generation is going to be wearing rather thin.

To be fair though, well it could certainly be argued that Australian politics was somewhat of a circus under the Boomer PM's. In contrast those who came immediately before on either side of politics were far more stable and so far Morrison also seems to be pursuing that stable sort of approach.

For the record I'm not a Boomer (Gen X).:2twocents

IFocus and wayneL like this.
  3. wayneL

wayneL Rotaredom

Oooo, watch out for confirmation bias, chaps ( not directing that at anyone in particular).

I'd love to hear the Freakonomics view of this.... the stats behind the stats.

For the record, I'm a boomer (1961), and declare myself as so biased, but would love to see some really objective analysis.

Smurf1976 likes this.
  4. Logique

Logique Investor

5. Knobby22

OK Boomer ;)

Value Collector and IFocus like this.
  6. wayneL

wayneL Rotaredom

Okay Boomer. It's basically saying f*** you.

Okay, cool. My response?

FU2!

How I vote, how I interact with millennials, what information I choose to share, whether I choose to teach what I know, etc.

Boomers, and indeed the greatest generation ( the one before, excluding the egregious Fonda of course), we know shxt, and you can't pigeon hole all boomers based on the selfishness and entitlement of some (traits not exclusive to boomers).

So, millennials, Gen X, y, and z, learn the hard way if you want to, we don't care. But, how you treat us will depend on easy we make it for you. Usher in the idiotocracy if you really want to.

7. Knobby22

It was a wink. however...
    We just saw a boomer state that millennials are selfish etc. based on a dodgy poll.
    I have seen many attacks on millennials on the social networks. Don't you think the kids are hurt by it? They are only teens.

I know lots of millennials and they are serious, hard working, bloody hard savers, care about their future and the worlds future. Many have given up on owning cars so they can save more and enjoy themselves. They have a collection of jobs. My daughter works at three places, the so called gig economy.

They get trashed regularly by media etc, and so that's their meme now. Their way of coping in a nice way without being nasty. They see the attacks and insults on them, on their efforts to make a difference, by middle aged people and just shrug their shoulders. My daughter has become a vegetarian to help the planet and joined the local council to organise events for youth and to help people(not paid), she also helps out at the local scout group.

They build up huge student debts and watch as the Amazon burns. They can see it on Google Earth believe it or not. They love David Attenborough who is now being attacked for saying we should do better. The people attacking are not them.

It's not rude, its not FU, its just their way of saying we will wait patiently, take the punches from middle aged people without flinching, their time will come.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
  8. Smurf1976

Smurf1976

Personally I see it as being much the same as gender wars.

Conflict manufactured by the media in order to divert attention away from real, actual problems that everyone should be concerned about no matter what their age or gender is.

9. Smurf1976

Smurf1976

I think the issue there is that Gen Y does seem more sensitive to words than anyone older.

Replace the reference to age in the statement with a reference to race or sexuality and the perception is they’d be outraged at dismissing someone’s views based on their race, gender or sexuality.

It looks like incredible hypocrisy.

wayneL likes this.
  10. Knobby22

Just type in millennials are idiots on your browser Smurf.

Also they rarely post it to a Baby Boomer or Gen X. They just send memes to each other. I was being naughty.

11. wayneL

wayneL Rotaredom

Knobby, if we can get rid of the identitarianism from our world, there wouldn't be much of a problem. and, the extreme right and the extteme left are both guilty of this, in different ways.

Ok Booner is just another way that the extreme left is indulging in identitarianism, in essence disregarding the opinions of people of a certain age group.

You may argue that the same is being applied to millennials etcetera, and that's true.

But both are toxic and should be discouraged.

fergee, cynic, qldfrog and 1 other person like this.
  12. Smurf1976

Smurf1976

Getting rid of it and returning to debate based on policy would fix rather a lot of things I expect.

The whole concept basically amounts to a form of bullying. Can't win with facts so just ridicule the opponent.

Disgraceful most certainly and it comes from all sides at the moment indeed even non-living things, technologies or machinery, have become caught up in it at times. :2twocents

fergee, cynic, qldfrog and 1 other person like this.
  13. Knobby22

You know how it started Smurf?
    On Tic Toc used by Teens.
    An old guy started abusing the kids saying they had Peter Pan syndrome etc.
    They didn't abuse him back, just said Go Boomer which means "whatever" combined with a bit of "you go girl". It went viral as a nice way to respond to abuse.

It's not about politics. My 16 year old son is anti PC, hates agression but showed me a few memes. There is a lot of elder hate/trolling on the internet.

They are in tic toc to be with their peers and talk ****....not politics which they have no interest to be frank.

Why a 60 year old would join to pick on kids betrays a nasty attitude.

Everything should not be seen as political.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
    PZ99 likes this.
  14. Knobby22

Just to add I was driving the kids back from the Rowing comp on Saturday, we had my son, his mate both 16, his mates sister 14 and her rowing partner also 14 and her little sister 12 (who acted as Cox in my son's race).

The girls were on Tic Toc, the boys were sort of half looking at it.

It's a teen thing for young teens and it disgusts me a little that old guys join. Thankfully not many though I hope I haven't made it worse for them by talking about it on this forum.

15. wayneL

wayneL Rotaredom

Good God! Yet another social media platform I've never heard of!

Rest easy @Knobby22 this boomer ain't going anywhere near it. LOL

qldfrog and Knobby22 like this.
  16. SirRumpole

SirRumpole

Even Twitter and Facebook are a lot of rubbish. Too many people with too little to say.

Thank God (aka Joe Blow) for "old fashioned" forums like this. :cool:

fergee, Logique, qldfrog and 4 others like this.
  17. moXJO

moXJO menace to society

Half the **** is staged on all the video sharing platforms. The updated saying:
    "Believe nothing of what you hear or what you see" applies to the Internet.

In saying that, there is a huge generational divide (and I'm gen x) to the younger ones. I'm not sure they are as independently capable as older generations were. And phone use is a huge problem.

qldfrog and wayneL like this.
  18. wayneL

wayneL Rotaredom

I like the old forum format too.

I only use Facebook for marketing my business and networking with colleagues. But only because everybody else is on there.

Twitter is a 95% shxtstorm, I'm only on there to follow a few people but holy Dooley do you come across some rubbish!

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
    SirRumpole likes this.
  19. Value Collector

Value Collector Have courage, and be kind.

boomers were described the same way by their elders, the hippy and rock n roll generation were definately frowned upon.

I think elder generations always look down on those below them, and it is normally unjustified.

fergee and Smurf1976 like this.
  20. IFocus

IFocus You are arguing with a Galah

I am with Nobby....confession "I am a Boomer" its all gotten a bit crazy with the current private debt burden (which really is insane), house prices and I always wince watching young people doing work for the bare minimum wage with no career prospects or training out side of Uni the so called gig economy i.e. slave labour, bend over and keep smiling.

All fuel by lazy economics of massive immigration policy's and 457 visas bring in skilled labour instead of investing in our youth plus severe deregulation......let the market rule.

This has been setup by boomers (forget the politics all sides guilty)

My own kids have worked far harder than I ever did getting through Uni (with debt rules made by boomers that didnt pay SFA)then getting paid jobs less than me even thought I was a tradesman all be it elect/Instrument.

I never had to compete against imported labour and had protection against exploration and a growing safety environment now major companies can under paid with out repercussions, banks can rip off dead people and no one goes to jail how is this so?

Boomers.

Macquack, basilio, chiff and 5 others like this.