• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

% of international and domestic shares

Discussion in 'Beginner's Lounge' started by stevenroyals, Nov 11, 2017.

1. stevenroyals

stevenroyals

Hi
    I wanted to know what percentage of international and domestic shares a portfolio should have. I'm thinking about getting some VEU and VTS etf's as well as a few Australian LIC's such as ARG or MLT.

2. luutzu

luutzu

It's good to diversify, don't put all your eggs in one basket and such... but don't over-do it. I mean, not unless you're paid to do just average.

3. stevenroyals

stevenroyals

I'm not really interested in scrutinising every company and trying to beat the market. I just want a basic portfolio that doesn't require much work and brings in what the market gives. I wanted people's opinions on the percentage of domestic versus international shares considering currency risk.

4. pixel

pixel DIY Trader

If you're not trying to beat the market, why bother at all?
    Pick a couple of fund managers, pay them to get you index-linked average return, and enjoy a happy life with family and friends.
    That's precisely the gist of Marcus Padley's column this weekend:
    http://www.pressreader.com/australia/the-west-australian/20171111/282797831656055

TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch.

5. So_Cynical

So_Cynical The Contrarian Averager

The international and domestic shares mix is one thing, other considerations should be franking credits, currency exposure, commodity movement exposure, hedging, and market neutral funds.

I Have noticed the recent pull back of all the market neutral funds operated by watermark, punters switching out of low market risk into high, something to do with the latest round of enthusiasm, many of us have been waiting for a broad pull back that hasn't happened.

Market neutral listed stocks, ALF, WMK and WGF have all fallen, punters switching out and recent poor performance due to poor stock selection or at least bad timing. http://wfunds.com.au/

kid hustlr likes this.
  6. kid hustlr

kid hustlr

I think the idea is most fund managers don't beat the mkt though?

7. GlobeTrekker

GlobeTrekker

Around 65% Aussie and 35% international is where I'm currently at. If you're interested in LICs like ARG and MLT, you might like to check out the LICs that invest internationally like PMC, TGG, FGG, PGF, MFF etc.

8. stevenroyals

stevenroyals

Thanks for your help. I might have a look at those LIC's you have suggested.