• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

North Korea

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by MrBurns, Jun 9, 2009.

1. jono1887

jono1887

I personally think we should be more concerned with the nukes that are in India and Sri-Lanka considering they sri lanka has an unstable political regime and is in some form a civil war... also considering the high probability of terrorists within both those countries. Once the terrorists get their hands on those, im pretty sure they wont be too scared letting a few off. N. Korea is quite stable politically and there is no threat of terrorists getting their hands on those nukes... and the probability of them launching this is very slim.

2. MrBurns

MrBurns

He didnt have nukes, the North Koreans do, if the US decided to take them on it could be armagedon.

3. Agentm

Agentm

if north korea go to war they have to do it before 9pm when the lights go out.

its more likely that the north koreans will trade their alleged nuclear capabilities for something to keep them warm at night like electricity

koreaREU121006_228x295.jpg

should they go to war it would be only during daytime hours, and imho their ability nuke their neighbors may be at a severe disadvantage to them, frying a few million people would in itself not be a win situation for them, they surely have to consider what the military objective would be.. imho the repercussions would be severe..

as far as resources go, they have a lot of coal and use hydro also for electricity, but oil comes from the soviets and china by pipeline.. imho if they start nuking their oil will stop and imho the strategic bombing of the entire nation would continue relentlessly not only by the US forces but imho many other regional interests would be chipping in.

every time north korea declares war on the world, it desperately needed either fuel or food for its populace. the nuke thing should get them a bit more as its a bigger bargaining chip

all imho

4. gordon2007

gordon2007

HUH?
    :confused:

Perhaps you mean pakistan? Sri Lanka does not have nukes.

5. jono1887

jono1887

oh yeh... my bad

6. Ferret

Ferret

Statement by the official Korean Central News Agency (North Korea) on Tuesday:
    "Our nuclear deterrent will be a strong defensive means ... as well as a merciless offensive means to deal a just retaliatory strike to those who touch the country's dignity and sovereignty even a bit"

So they say they are happy to be the first to fire with nukes - great.

7. MrBurns

MrBurns

Just heard the US has 1000 nukes in Sth Korea aimed at the north.

No wonder they're not particularly concerned

errrrr that may be old news -

8. rub92me

rub92me Don't look back

Maybe helpful to have some context why North Korea are going down this path. In 1994, there was a framework agreement with North Korea to stop nuclear weapons development in North Korea. In return, the West, primarily the United States, pledged to provide them with the capacity for nuclear energy development. The West didn't live up to that bargain. And then the Bush Administration came in, with the whole axis of evil thing and the Weapons of Mass Desruction . And that was effectively the end of the framework agreement. Korea then began to carry out the uranium enrichment for nuclear weapons (again). Not saying they're not loony and shouldn't be stopped. But maybe a smarter president in the US wouldn't have hurt either.

9. MrBurns

MrBurns

Interesting, thanks for that but still doesnt explian why North Korea think they can bluff the USA it's the actions of stupid people.

10. MrBurns

MrBurns

Nothing much has changed since this was posted in 2009...............or has it ?

11. CanOz

CanOz Home runs feel good, but base hits pay bills!

One thing i don't believe is that they're evil....a little mis-guided and certainly brain washed. Its an unfortunate result of "face". Kim could literally be the savior of his people if he only embraced a more open model. Surely, looking and watching as the South has become one of Asia's biggest economies must have had some impact through that thick skull?:confused:

CanOz

12. skc

skc Goldmember

They make great comedy sketches... apparanetly this is the news footage of them sending man into space.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2016
  13. prawn_86

prawn_86 Mod: Call me Dendrobranchiata

Why would he care? HIm and his family use the country as their own personal Sims game. They are above it all and probably dont even consider their actions as harming other people, its all just like a video game to them they are so detached (my theory only)

14. CanOz

Yeah that's quite possible too i reckon, no idea really whats going on or doesn't care...

CanOz

15. McLovin

McLovin

I dunno Can. Have you read about those labour camps they have set up? They give the Nazis a run for their money. The guy on the street may not be evil, but the apparatus that maintains the status quo has a lot to answer for, IMO.

I don't think they're crazy though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yodok_concentration_camp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_22

DPRK law also states that if you commit a political/cultural crime you and three generations of your family are sent to one of the labour camps.

16. CanOz

OK, i agree that's some pretty evil stuff. But we're talking about a kid basically:confused:. Has he inherited evil or has he been taught or does he just not realize everything that his family has done?

I guess its allot harder for me to accept that the young Kim is that evil yet...

CanOz

17. McLovin

McLovin

I can't be so forgiving of someone who sits at the head of such a regime. He may not have to deal with the day to day torture, starvation and murder but, if we're aware of it, then surely he is too. Afterall, he did go to school in Switzerland.

I guess it's possible he's just a figurehead and high ranking military are the ones calling the shot.

18. CanOz

Well i don't mean to sound forgiving i guess i just have a hard time understanding it...

Yes, especially given that he was educated in Europe...:confused:

CanOz

19. McLovin

McLovin

Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Al-assad went to Oxford but look at what a tyrant he is.

20. CanOz

Yup, understand and totally agree, but he's so damb young...

Anyway i just hope they don't do anything too stupid. The other thing i can't figure out is why the Chinese don't shut him up.

CanOz