Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

North Korea says missiles can strike US

Reaction score
Been watching this for a while, I think f anything comes out of left field to throw the markets it will be conflict, serious conflict.

North Korea says it possesses "strategic rocket forces" capable of striking the US mainland.

In a series of bulletins released on the official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA), the spokesman of the National Defence Commission also said Pyongyang was ready to match any enemy, "nuclear for nuclear, missile for missile".

The warnings came two days after South Korea announced an agreement with the United States to almost triple the range of its missiles to cover the whole of North Korea

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-10-09/an-north-korea-says-missiles-can-strike-us-mainland/4303522

Reaction score
I would guess, that Russia is so in bed with the EEC and China is still selling that much junk to the U.S.
If North Korea wanted to nuke anyone they would be blown off the map before they could press a button.IMO
Too many people making too much money, to let a small, no significance country stuff it up.

Reaction score
I would guess, that Russia is so in bed with the EEC and China is still selling that much junk to the U.S.
If North Korea wanted to nuke anyone they would be blown off the map before they could press a button.IMO
Too many people making too much money, to let a small, no significance country stuff it up.

Would crash to markets though.

Reaction score
the DPRK has a history of talking out of their backside. I don't believe they have the missiles they claim and secondly I don't think they would use them, it's empty rhetoric. Most of it is said in a self-defense sort of way. The leadership of the DPRK are intelligent and they know that it's a one way ticket to oblivion if they even looked like they were go to fire a missile at the US mainland.

It is the most bizarre place I have ever visited, but that's probably a different thread.:eek:

Reaction score
Would crash to markets though.

It doesn't need North Korea to make the markets crash.
If you remember correctly, it was 'wonderfull wayne' and his splash of cash in 2009 that saved us.LOL
Everything back then was going fine, we were a small cog in a big wheel, nothing needed to be done.

However you put meglomaniacs in charge, they can't be seen to be doing nothing, so they throw money around big noting themselves.

Now the big wheel is slowing down the small cog is being exposed as a weaner and the 'Worlds Greatest Treasurer' is looking like a dick.
In response to your question,I only have 10% exposure to the market for dividend. But that is only a personal choice, not a recommendation in any way.

Julia

In Memoriam
Reaction score
It is the most bizarre place I have ever visited, but that's probably a different thread.:eek:

Could you consider telling us more about N. Korea on a separate thread?
Would love to hear from someone who has actually been there.
(Apologies for interrupting your thread, Burnsie.)

CanOz

Home runs feel good, but base hits pay bills!
Reaction score
Could you consider telling us more about N. Korea on a separate thread?
Would love to hear from someone who has actually been there.
(Apologies for interrupting your thread, Burnsie.)

Ditto, looking forward to it. Been to dandong, a stark contrast across the river!

Reaction score
As the world gets darker and narcissists like Donald Trump head the US military machine, the risk of a catastrophic war in Korea is only increasing. If there was an outbreak of hostilities the least worst outcome would be a world wide recession as result of the trashing of South Korea. And that doesn't start to consider the possibility of nuclear weapons being used.

I came across a very interesting analysis of the political situation with a complex but perhaps doable diplomatic solution.

Tomgram: Rajan Menon, What Would War Mean in Korea?

Posted by Rajan Menon at 4:56PM, June 04, 2017.
Follow TomDispatch on Twitter @TomDispatch.

Here’s a reasonable question to ask in our unreasonable world: Does Donald Trump even know where North Korea is? The answer matters and if you wonder why I ask, just remember his comment upon landing in Israel after his visit to Saudi Arabia. “We just got back from the Middle East,” he said. In response, reported the Washington Post, “the Israeli ambassador to Washington, Ron Dermer, put his forehead in his palm.” Which brings us back to North Korea. As pollsters working for the New York Times recently discovered, were President Trump to have only the foggiest idea of that country’s location, he would be in remarkably good company. Of the 1,746 American adults the polling group Morning Consult queried, only 36% could accurately point to North Korea on a map of Asia. Other typical answers: Thailand, Nepal, Kazakhstan, and Mongolia.

http://www.tomdispatch.com/

moXJO

menace to society
Reaction score
The first time I went to the US a lot didn't know where or what Australia was. That was the early 90s.
Their news is very America focused. They don't really care about other countries. The major cities the people are more clued in.