• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

Nick Radge's Weekend Trend Trader

Discussion in 'Trading Strategies/Systems' started by p2tr, Feb 15, 2014.

1. willoneau

willoneau

Only time will tell, it's how you react to your system when your MDD reaches your back tested results will determine how much you trust your system and continue to follow it. Something paper trading cannot help with, only experiencing it to find out.

Warr87 and qldfrog like this.
  2. Joe90

Joe90

Thanks, I figured it was the Custom Back Tester a few minutes after sending my question. Foot in mouth disease. o_O

3. Roller_1

Roller_1

The bulk of my returns came in the second half of last year, it also helped that I upped my position size basically with perfect timing. I have been trading the same system since early 2016 basically and it has returned over 100% (actually I just checked that and I am in a roughly 5% draw down so just under that now).

It is a daily system with a maximum hold time of seven days. It enters intraday on limit orders and exits market open. I don’t have any problems with slippage pricewise, it is only getting partial fills or missing a trade when the low of the day is equal to the limit order sometimes you can miss it.

I was one of the first ones to Nick’s mentor course and I started trading this system after I completed that. A few of the guys are trading a version of the WTT and are having great results. On both the US and ASX.

Padowan, Warr87 and Saqeeb like this.
  4. MovingAverage

MovingAverage Smoke me a kipper

That's good--most breakout style systems would have had a pretty ordinary performance in the back half.

Saqeeb and Roller_1 like this.
  5. Roller_1

Roller_1

It buys dips not breakouts, could probably be classed as a swing system

MovingAverage and Saqeeb like this.
  6. Warr87

Warr87

That's a pretty good return. I think everyone here would be happy with that. Was it based off Nick's systems, or something of your own creation? Adding a mean reversion system in the future is definitely something I want.

Also, if you are entering intra-day, are you using EOD data?

7. Roller_1

Roller_1

No it is something that I come up with, just ideas from a lot of different places really.

yeh EOD data using Norgate data. That way it is easier to test properly with index constituents etc.

I'm in the process of coming up with a momentum system, probably end up being something similar to what Nick has talked about a monthly rotation system. Testing on the ASX100 atm.

Warr87 likes this.
  8. MovingAverage

I went live with a short term swing system Aug/Sep last year--in my mind mean reversion is pretty much swing. I'm currently trading a longer term trend system and while in the main it has been good to me there are times it frustrates me. I really like the shorter term swing system as it complements the frustrating "flat" periods on my longer term trend system (think second half of last year). I think psychologically the short term swing system is better suited to my personality.

Roller_1 and Warr87 like this.
  9. Warr87

Warr87

That sounds pretty good. That might be a good angle to come from. I have just started trading my trend system for real, so time will tell how that works out. I am always looking at something else to add in the future and the short system would help during flatter periods as you've pointed out.

10. MovingAverage

There's a well known RSI/MA based pullback methodology floating around the internet. I just adapted that that methodology.

Warr87 likes this.