• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

Newbie Lessons - All your questions answered

Discussion in 'Beginner's Lounge' started by Sir Osisofliver, Feb 12, 2009.

1. mcgrath111

mcgrath111

Hi All,

Being a relatively young guy (25), I was wondering if you could share a light on one or two things that you've realised have an effect on building wealth.

A key for me is using credit cards. Aside from the annual fee; rewards have paid for trips, and a few gift cards along the way.
    If I had of realised this earlier, I would have accumulated far more/ received greater rewards.

The point I'm trying to get at, is there things that you only realised until you were older that you wish you had of known when you were younger?
    Any pearls of wisdom or just finance 'hacks' so to speak?

Many thanks,

2. goponcho

goponcho

Is morningstars financial data super inaccurate?? Seems to be sometimes! Thoughts?

jenisa likes this.
  3. jenisa

jenisa

"Is morningstars financial data super inaccurate?? Seems to be sometimes!"..this is actually a really good question. Waiting to here the thoughts as well.

4. tech/a

tech/a No Ordinary Duck

Id reply but Ive posted many posts with my hints and findings over the years
    they are all in the archives somewhere. It takes a lot of time and thought to
    most of my posts and to continually keep regurgitating stuff is annoying.

I've made a suggestion to Joe to help us out and supply a valuable resource to all
    but so far Joe has other priorities.

Search Tech/A Threads if your interested there is a lot there!

mcgrath111 likes this.
  5. mcgrath111

mcgrath111

Thanks Tech/A

Truth be told, I sometimes search through your old posts (I'm a bit of a creep haha).

jenisa likes this.
  6. mick1990

mick1990

Hey guys,

Just starting out, been reading up on day trading for a little while. My question is does anyone have a preferred trading platform, I've got a bunch of mates who use commsec and one that swears by Maquarie's platform. I know all the big banks have their own - any advice on if it's makes a difference which one I choose?

7. Habakkuk

Habakkuk

The newbie questions are the only ones I feel qualified to answer, especially since nobody else has done so.
    As you are just starting out, the choice of platforms is the least of your problems. You're talking about day trading and mates who use Commsec. Are they day trading? Commsec brokerage is the most expensive around. It seems unlikely, but I don't know.

If you mean just standard short-term trading, that might be o.k. Day trading is buying and selling shares within the same day, not holding over night. Either way, Commsec is the last broker I would choose.

You mention platforms and that all the banks have their own. That's true for their standard trading platforms (it's just a form you fill in for your orders) and they would all be a little different. I don't think it makes any difference which one you choose, unless the lowest number of clicks required is vitally important.

But if you are really talking about day trading, the standard (free) platform will be useless. You need to subscribe to the live, dynamic data platform. ANZ have their own one indeed. Westpac, NAB Trade and Commsec all use the same, WebIRESS. They will not look exactly the same, but have the same features. The cost is from $49.95 (ANZ) - $79.00 (Westpac) per month. Commsec charge '2.53 cents per minute' as well as a platform fee of $40.70 per month. You might want to verify all that.
    Almost all other, non-bank brokers have better rates. There are many to choose from and none is the 'best'. They are competitive and have different features, so it depends what's important to you.

As a bottom line, here is my advice: trading can result in losses. It's safer to keep your money in a term deposit.

8. Smalltimeguy

Smalltimeguy

Question about technical indicators and their recommendations to sell or buy.
    I'm looking at au.investing.com as the only good one round (by the looks of things),
    can a newbie rely or gain anything from the moving average or technical indicator recommendations?
    Currently on the asx 200 the indicators are giving a sell indication...

9. tech/a

tech/a No Ordinary Duck

Very little.

Find all you can on price action
    + Chart reading.
    VSA --- Volume Spread Analysis
    Is a good start

10. Boggo

Boggo

Indicators are a which came first, the chicken or the egg situation.
    You can use indicators to narrow the field of candidates, or to build a watchlist of potential buy candidates.

Identifying a pattern with assistance from indicators or an indicator may work provided you know what you are looking for.
    I don't use an index etc filter as I find that is too generic and inhibits potential candidates, instead I use a MACD that eliminates a significant number of stocks and what remain have to then demonstrate a potential to breakout or repeat a past pattern.
    A quick eyeball of a scan list that pass the parameters and you may see one or two for the watchlist.

I had a look at that site in your post, looks good but you try making money from that and you will be disappointed, much more precision is required than just a "rising tide rises all boats" approach.

My opinion, learn to look for patterns, all aspects of it including the important volume at tech/a mentioned above although I find there are occasionally times when that aspect is irrelevant.
    (Don't be afraid to ask him for help in that area as long as you are displaying true effort in learning)

Below is an example of one that sat in a watchlist of mine for weeks (5) but every week was a build up in the right direction (the chart is weekly).

(click to expand, same stock QAN, two charts)
    Indicators.jpg Indicators 2.jpg

11. XavierRI

XavierRI

Hi,

I'm just learning to paper trade at the moment.

Does anyone know where I can find weekly/monthly/quarterly /6 months performance graph for the ASX sectors (like the graph below)[​IMG]

2qlem3s.png

12. Bob111

Bob111

Sir O, What a great piece. I thoroughly enjoyed reading through the 48 pages of info.

I especially liked the section on the economic clock. I may have missed it somewhere but it looks like dividend yields as a confirming factor where never delved into in any depth? I thought I would create some graphs on the different sectors dividend yields compared to the S&P 50 dividend yield but I couldn't find which companies where in the S&P 50 during the time frame of 03 - 07 so I just used the current 50 companies of which 42 were trading during the period. I figure this shouldn't screw up the results too badly?

I've attached the graphs below (hopefully). Is what we are looking for, the breakout of the utilities graph above the S&P 50 dividend yield line?

upload_2018-1-20_19-57-14.png
    upload_2018-1-20_19-58-21.png

upload_2018-1-20_19-59-29.png

upload_2018-1-20_20-0-4.png

upload_2018-1-20_20-0-52.png

upload_2018-1-20_20-1-45.png

upload_2018-1-20_20-2-41.png

upload_2018-1-20_20-3-47.png

upload_2018-1-20_20-4-37.png

upload_2018-1-20_20-5-23.png

13. Bob111

Bob111

and last one....

upload_2018-1-20_20-7-58.png

14. traderace_mkt

traderace_mkt

Yes I have seen that too. People on ASF are very helpful with their analyses and suggestions. There's always something new that I get to learn from ASF members.

15. BearCave

BearCave

Question about LICs/EFTs. I've been reading about these and apparently there are some management fees involved. How are those fees charged to an investor?

16. MarketMatters

MarketMatters

1. Firstly you are charged on brokerage to purchase.
    2. An annual management fee may be charged which is generally built into the unit price. You will see this as a % ie. 0.5% would be equal to $50 on $10,000 investment each year.
    3. Notably each investment can vary in costs with passive players averaging as low as 0.1% and up to 1%+ for active managers.
    4. You will likely find a buy/sell spread meaning there is a difference between the buy price and the sell price.