• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

Need help on stock valuation

Discussion in 'Beginner's Lounge' started by meoden1005, Mar 12, 2007.

1. meoden1005

meoden1005

Hi all
    I'm thinking about writting a program to valuate stock price. I will do average all of valuation method. However, I'm an IT student so I dont know much about stock valuation. Could u recommed me some website, article, or fomular to research..... Thanks all ^^.

2. pch

pch

I have been doing this off and on for years now and the net result is a program that I can use, that is not marketable yet because as I learn I keep finding more things to add in :)

There are already heaps of charting tools out there, but I assume you are more interested in fundamental analysis if you talk of 'valuation'? Anyway, perhaps the best thing to do is check out the featureset of existing packages out there in the market.

One thing I can tell you though, is FA requires a lot of data to perform a decent analysis. You either will have to subscribe to a data feed of some kind or learn regular expressions to scrape what you need. (The latter being a violation of the term of service of most sites anyway)

3. stoxclimber

stoxclimber

It's too discretionary to write a program for.

4. doctorj

doctorj Hatchet Moderator

I disagree.

What I think the OP will find is that a program is best designed in a modular fashion. The program should have the capability to 'scrape' data from certain sites or by parsing an annual report (or a series there of). Then you'd need to make different modules for the different industries you're interested in as the method of valuing a company varies widely.

For example, you could make a oil/gas module, an insurance module and a hardrock mining module.

5. pch

pch

That was my approach.. but it was more like the 'suitability' of some valuation methods varied between industry, so rather than an oil/gas module (but I can see why you would go down that road), I found that you had to assign a relative weighting to each valuation method for each stock/industry.

Also, most valuations are variations on DCF calculations. Whether its estimating future earnings via ROE, EPS, Sales or whatever, its still all too easy for creative accounting to make things look great.

6. meoden1005

meoden1005

I ask my friend about it. She show me how to valuate the stock and calculate intrisic value. But she said I can only be able to do that if they pay dividend. Bang :banghead: , I guess ur guy can help me some other solution or give me fomular, web site then I will research on them. I read some reply here. And someone talk about DCF calculation. Is it discount cash flow????. Also I heard someone tell me about theory of relation to calculate stock value. I wonder wat the hell it is :confused: