• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

Mutiny at HotCopper

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by nioka, Jul 7, 2011.

1. nioka

nioka

ASF should get a boost with a mutiny going on at HC. They have introduced an advertising system that highlights certain words in a post you download. If your browser passes over that word then it opens an add. The add is not related in content to the word. If you post a complaint in the feedback threads the add is removed. I've had 4 removed so far. Most annoying.

I am one of many that now refuse to post there. Go ASF, the winner of the best and fairest award.:)

2. sails

sails

Re: Mutiny at Hot Copper

I did hear that one of the pop up boxes from the double underlined word was advertising Aussie Stock Forums...:D.

I don't get their adwords with Firefox + no script but they do show up in Internet Explorer. I posted such in their feedback forum and found my post, not only moderated, but removed totally from view...:eek:.

It does seem strange that forum admin seem quite willing to upset their posters when, without posters, there is no forum. IMO, seems to show total disregard for their posters. Hopefully Joe will never have to resort to this sort of intrusive advertising...:)

Although I visit over there (mostly politics...lol), ASF is always nice to come back to and. imo, is by far the better forum of the two...:)

3. nioka

nioka

My mistake above. It is the complaining POST that is removed, not the add.:mad:

4. Garpal Gumnut

Garpal Gumnut

Just a note of caution about HC refugees coming over to ASF, I visited the site some months ago when I was sad, to be cheered by the old adage that

"When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him."

Some care needs to be exercised, as the posters are not "top drawer."

Most spell even worse than the small percentage of bad spellers on ASF.

The majority seem to be sad pensioners fallen in love with penny dreadfuls, who seek succour from following the companies they invest in, phoning or emailing management and being reassured by the resultant spiel.

They in the main are victims of confirmation bias, they invest of a hurry on a whim, and then for 3 or 4 years find reason to justify their investment until it is delisted.

Perhaps they could spend a year or more on naurustockforums.com.nr, before being processed for admission to ASF.

gg

5. basilio

basilio

Now that is a real worry...

6. nioka

nioka

GG,
    I'll bet they even wear bicicle helmets too.:eek:

7. Garpal Gumnut

Garpal Gumnut

For some odd reason I have been permanently suspended from HC.

Could some good person please canvas how many PEN posters on that site wear bicycle helmets, and on what part of their anatomy said helmets are placed.

gg

8. Solly

Solly

GG
    Looks like I'll also have to start posting more Wiggles clips on the music thread as well
    S

9. tothemax6

tothemax6

I don't know why anyone goes there. The forum interface is awful. ASF is to HC what an iPad is to a scroll.

10. Miner

Miner

good to read HC interactions.
    I noticed none of the ex or current HC visitors mentioned about recent new IPO blitz from HC.
    Purely on a tongue and chic Joe may consider to impose an entry fee for all HC Refugees and keep them on probation in ASF .:D:D

11. nioka

nioka

If there were more ASFers contributing information on stocks there would be no need to go to HC for information on their favourite stock. I've done my bit to promote stock talk on ASF but there is a way to go yet. :banghead:

(The offending HC advertising has been discontinued, pointing to the power and value of the common poster.)

12. sails

sails

Ahhh democracy at work. A breath of fresh air in these political times.

13. DB008

DB008

I admit, l visited HC (once!) some years ago. ASF is miles ahead. I won't go near that website ever again.

14. Garpal Gumnut

Garpal Gumnut

Is there a way of visiting if you are banned? I ask this in the manner of asking to visit a mad aunt, rather than wanting to learn anything there.

gg

15. nioka

nioka

Nothing to stop you logging on, I've been suspended a couple of times but you cant post and give cheek back. Not as democratic as ASF. You have to wade through a lot of rubbish eg. In 24 hours there were about 200 posts on LYC but only about 20 worth reading.:rolleyes:

16. Garpal Gumnut

Garpal Gumnut

Thanks mate, you used have to be a member to access the site. They let any bastard or riff raff in now eh ??

gg

17. Julia

Julia In Memoriam

Seems standards just aren't what they used to be, huh, gg!:)

18. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden

I like HC because, notwithstanding the eager optimism of some, a lot of threads on stocks are more active than the ones here.

19. Des P

Des P

Hi all, i just had a pretty bad experience with hot copper
    Became a member it lasted for 24hrs then they suspended me for only one post.
    Copper.png

When i asked the reason why they only would comment it was there right
    Cant see myself going back there again
    they are a very unfriendly friendly bunch:(
    Cheers
    Des

20. Logique

Logique Investor

If that's the post you were suspended for Des, can't see what the problem was. A case of mistaken identity perhaps?