• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

Metastock Questions & Answers

Discussion in 'Software and Data' started by tnargak, Jun 30, 2008.

1. tnargak

tnargak

Just wanted to start a thread that can assist Metastock users.

QUESTION:

Does anyone know how to create a Bollinger Band in a chart that is a solid shading rather than the top&bottom lines?

2. Timmy

Timmy white swans need love too

Do you mean the area on the chart between the bottom and top lines is shaded?

3. tech/a

tech/a No Ordinary Duck

Wabbit would know.
    I think youd have to create your won expert.

Never done it.

4. tnargak

tnargak

[​IMG]

See image for example of what i mean. :)

5. wabbit

wabbit www.wabbit.com.au

The short answer is, no it cannot be done.

The long answer is you can use a couple of formatting tricks to emulate shading, but then you have to worry about which order objects are placed on charts.

The first way is to simply select the Bollinger Bands from the Indicator Quicklist and drop it onto your chart. Use the mouse to select the bottom line of the bands and choose the histogram style from the Line Quicklist and make the colour the same as the background colour of the chart; then choose the top band line and select the histogram style from the Line Quicklist and make the colour whatever you like.

Hopefully - - there will be a pic attached?
    [​IMG]

The other way is to use the MSFL and a bar count to draw a zigzag styled "fill" between the upper and lower limits:

Code:
    ul:=BBandTop(C, 20, S, 2);
    ll:=BBandBot(C, 20, S, 2);
    fill1:=if(mod(cum(1),2), ul,ll);
    fill2:=if(mod(cum(1),2), ll,ul);

{plot}
    fill1;fill2;
    ul;ll;

then format the lines however you need to:
    [​IMG]

Hope this helps.

wabbit :D

6. wayneL

wayneL Rotaredom

Buy Amibroker and it's a cinch.

7. strudy

strudy

There are available for free download some formulas and other e books on metastock. Help yourself.:)

8. MS+Tradesim

MS+Tradesim

Just discovered something that may be useful to MS users, particularly for those who also utilise Tradesim. If you would like to employ advance/decline data in some way, I spent ages trying to build an indicator only to find out there's no need. Paritech, at least (maybe others), have symbols that track this info. If you've ever wondered what some of those odd X symbols are:

http://www.paritech.com.au/paritech/support_dd3.html

9. anthon

anthon

Good Evening Everyone,

Have started playing around a little deeper with MS, and have been using the system tester - however i am getting a little frustrated as all i can seem to get every time i run a simulation is a result on how the system would work on each individual stock, not the universe of stocks i run the simulation.

What i am really looking for here is the accumulated performance of all stocks that i test. Is there a setting/option/something i can change to ensure i get the comulative results, not each individual one.

I understand that TradeSim is a lot more useful than the MS system tester, and i am on my way to getting TradeSim, but am wanting to play around with MS a little more before I dive in.

Thanks for your help.

10. tech/a

tech/a No Ordinary Duck

M/S doesnt do portfolio testing.
    Tradesim does.
    So does Amibroker.

You can develop systems for singular stocks/futures you know.

You could also test a small portfolio individually as well.

11. Francisknight

Francisknight

Metastock questions

Hi all, first up I'm so sorry to ask this, I know it has been asked before but I could not find an answer that suited the current date so I thought maybe something might of changed.

I have a copy (v9) metastock, I know zero about how to set it up and use it, so take it easy on me guy's for asking the dumb questions.

Re Data feed. I know there are a few companies that charge from about $300for next day data to $500 + for intra-day.

My question is, is there any way of loading free end of day or next day data in to it so I can use it that way or will I have to pay for one of the data companies feeds?

Any help really appreciated.

Francis.

12. colion

colion

Re: Metastock questions

There are downloaders (e.g., MLDownloader) which access free EOD data from Yahoo, MSN and Google. Most (if not all) charge a relatively small amount for the program but then the data is free. The data suppliers for Yahoo, etc. are the reliable names such as CSI, Reuters, etc. and are listed on their websites. Google Metastock downloaders and you will find what is available.

13. Trex123

Trex123

Hi, I am interested to know how does metastock help in equity trading compared other softwares out there?