• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Medical Marijuana

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by DB008, Feb 14, 2012.

1. DB008

DB008

In the last 10 years or so, Medical Marijuana has taken off in California.
    It's a billion dollar a year plus industry (~$1.3 Billion with $100 million in taxes collected).
    Local communities, councils, state and federal levels collect tax on this product or get follow on benefits from sales tax.

To legally obtain marijuana in California, all that is needed is a script from a Doctor with a bogus ailment, i.e., anxiety, back paint, headaches, ADD/ADHD, IBS/Crohn's, alzheimer's, premenstrual syndrome (cramps and discomfort). You go with script in hand and ID to a dispensary and your good to go. Easy as pie.

I don't smoke or do drugs myself (did try pot about 10 years ago, I just fell asleep), but am intrigued at how the scene in the USA has changed over the years. And in a capitalist society, once the dollars start to pour in, why would you cut off a income stream. Coupled with the weak economic climate l don't see any change coming soon.

So, should/could Australia adopt a similar approach and;
    • Free up police resources
    • Collect income tax on sales as a new revenue stream
    • Put some profits back into mental health
    • Education about marijuana
    • Fund scientific research into this plant for other benefits
    • Adopt a California type of system?

How do you feel about the current laws in Australia?

Wiki - Marijuana Australia

National Cancer Institue - USA

Science Daily - Marijuana Cuts Lung Cancer Tumor Growth In Half, Study Shows

American Cancer Society

Wiki - California Proposition 215 (1996)

Wiki - Cannabis in California

Bloomberg - U.S. Takes Aim at California’s $1 Billion Marijuana Dispensaries

Bloomberg - Marijuana IPOs Provide Investors With Gateway to Cannabis Boom

Harbourside Heath Centre - biggest dispensary in the USA, turnover of ~$22 million per annum

National Geographic Channel - Marijuana Nation

2. prawn_86

prawn_86 Mod: Call me Dendrobranchiata

I think the entire "War On Drugs" is a load of total BS. The amount of lives lost, money spent, time wasted go against everything governments should be trying to do, especially when they are cash strapped.

The only financial benefit is that prices are higher in a black market, and it is a cash economy so that all gets back into the system somehow. But as it is usually across borders, Western countries tend to lose out anyway.

Legalise it all, tax it and then put a % of that income towards harm minimisation.

3. Gringotts Bank

Gringotts Bank

Obviously it's a very useful drug for some medical complaints. I don't see any difference at all between using marijuana and say a highish dose of codeine for the treatment of strong pain. Both have real, measurable benefits. Both have side effects. Both will have long term ill-effects on the body if used excessively. Both can be used recreationally. Both can lead to hard drug use and dependence. A little bit on occasion is probably fine, just the same as with alcohol.

My understanding is that it's legal to own a single plant for your own use only. I heard that from a lawyer but it could be wrong. I don't use it myself.

Some interesting reading here: http://www.oddee.com/item_97276.aspx
    I don't agree entirely with this article. But I do suspect that a lot of future (legal) medicines will be analogues of currently illegal street drugs.

Oh for the days of cocaine in your Coke! Remember that?

4. sails

sails

If people want it, they seem to be able to get it whether or not it is illegal.

My daughter came off pot last year and the withdrawal brought on terrible psychotic symptoms. I could never recommend it as I don't think it is as harmless as some believe it to be.

But then, compared to the horrific and sometimes permanent side effects of the prescription antipsychotics which are being used off label for sleep and anxiety, marijuana seems pretty tame.

https://www.achievesolutions.net/achievesolutions/en/Content.do?contentId=4100

5. prawn_86

I haven't read that article (am at work) but this would be hard to achieve in Aus. We currently have 'analogue' laws here meaning that anything which is a synthetic derivative is automatically banned, if it can be used do form another illegal drug. An example is how 4-mmc (Mephedrone with stupid media street name of 'meow meow') is automatically illegal here as it is a symthetic derivative of MDMA (ecstacy). Whereas in the UK they have to ban each drug individually.

If a medical analogue was allowed it would either require a change of law, or open up a flood of importing of research chemicals based on precedent set from a court ruling allowing the drug :2twocents

6. DB008

DB008

Interesting

Company is GW Pharmaceutical

Product is SATIVEX - to treat pain.

GW Pharmaceutical - Sativex

Fact Sheet - Sativex - Health Canada

7. Smurf1976

Smurf1976

Isn't Marijuana just a new approach to smoking?

The tobacco industry is slowly being killed off by governments, so the companies need something else to sell in order to keep the profits rolling in. Hence the increasing stream of pro-marijuana propaganda we're all being fed.

Maybe I'm getting too old, but I know quite a few who have smoked this stuff for years. With one exception all of then are ****** up in some way mentally. Enough said really. No doubt the other one will join the list at some point...

I'd much rather see someone smoking tobacco than smoking marijuana. Better still, don't smoke anything but at least with tobacco you've got 20+ years before any real harm is likely. I've seen people in their 20's screwed up due to marijuana...

8. Tink

Tink

Hear Hear Smurf

I get sick of hearing all this, just to push their own agenda of getting it through.
    Who picks up the pieces of all these kids?

9. todster

todster

I agree but i could say the same with booze x10.

10. prawn_86

Yep, either legalize everything or ban everything. Don't have a peice meal approach based on powerful lobbying :2twocents

Problem with banning everything is we know it doesnt work

11. Lantern

Lantern

Both can lead to hard drug use and dependence

^^ Don't forget all alcoholics started off drinking milk.:)

Seriously though, prohibition has never worked for anything, anywhere or anybody.
    Just why can't the powers that be see that.:banghead:

Drug dependence is a health issue not a criminal one.:2twocents

12. Smurf1976

Smurf1976

Agreed that booze also messes up a lot of people. But already having one problem drug that's legal doesn't justify encouraging another one.

Sure, some people grow it illegally, but it's still a niche thing compared to the legal drugs of alcohol and tobacco. Prohibition could be said to be partially effective in this case - it doesn't stop access but it would seem to be deterring consumption at least to some extent.

13. todster

todster

Yeah no one in mining does pot anymore because of the time it takes your system to rid itself of the thc.
    Now coke,meth are the norm,personally i would perfer to work with the stoner.
    I find them a bit more predictable,less moody.

14. moXJO

moXJO menace to society

Yeah unless they haven't smoked, then they are moody angry little bastards. At least methheads just curl into a ball on withdrawal :D

15. DB008

DB008

I suppose if we to get too liberal on weed, it could end up like this????

Weed01.jpg

(It's a random picture off the 'net)

16. awg

awg

Interestingly, until the 1930s and the invention of more modern medicine such as antibiotic, almost all prescriptions contained a mix of the following 4 ingredients:

Alcohol
    Opium
    Cocaine
    Cannabis

The range of ailments this was used to treat was vast, including "Infant Teething" which was apparently quite addictive

17. medicowallet

medicowallet

Can you please link some medicines used in Australia that used cannabis in them before 1930? I can't recall any from looking through an old drug register that a pharmacist I knew had from the late 1800s

Perhaps a quick look at the pharmacopeia may help.

MW

18. Smurf1976

Smurf1976

I've seen a picture of a bottle of name brand heroin (Bayer I think it was) from 100 or so years ago. It looked legit so I assume it was.

19. McLovin

McLovin

Heroin is actually a brand name the compound is called diacetylmorphine. I'm fairly certain that Bayer won't be pursuing trademark infringement though if you're caught selling heroin. It was originally sold as a cure for morphine addiction.

20. sptrawler

sptrawler

Believe it or not, it is best to take nothing and I can't preach on that.
    But as you get older you really do realise it is a waste of money buying $hit your body has to break down.
    They are all chemicals that have to go through the liver, kidneys and you don't realise untill it is too late that yours are just as easily damaged as anyone elses.
    It doesn't matter how tough you are/were, damage happens. Ala Troy Mercanti.:(