• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

Market cap... Why's it hidden?

Discussion in 'ASX Stock Chat' started by Synergy, Dec 11, 2010.

1. Synergy

Synergy

I find it a bit odd that Comsec doesn't display a stocks market cap on the main depth screen.

Surely how much a company is worth is the single most important piece of information when it comes to investing? It's not too hard to find, just 1 click away but why not have it on the depth screen? It's not like there isn't room.

It's like putting the price/100ml on the front of the price tag, and the total price on the back. Doesn't make sense.

2. tech/a

tech/a No Ordinary Duck

Unless your a technical trader and you don't give a hoot.

3. oztrades

oztrades

And would that mkt cap be at last reported by the company or are you asking for a fluctuating price with sales? Its on my stock quotes before i hit mkt depth screen.

4. pixel

pixel DIY Trader

Hi Synergy,

I don't believe it should be shown on the market depth screen. The m/d changes by the minute, but the m/cap remains steady over long periods od time. OK, so it fluctuates with the sp, but you see those fluctuations already on the chart. Why then double up..
    If you know how many shares are on issue - something that my data supplier shows me under the heading "company data" - all it takes is multiolying that numer bu the vurrent share price. As a roughie, I can do that in my head. If not, the m/cap is also reported where I find the issued shares.
    e.g.
    Company Name: BHP BLT FPO
    Year Low: +35.580 Shares On Issue: +,3356,081,497
    Year High: +45.570 Market Cap. ('000): $152,500,343
    Yield: +2.09 NTA: +10.21
    Earnings: +2.6822 P.E: +16.94