• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

MACD Signal Line calculation

Discussion in 'Stock Market Nuts and Bolts' started by Beams, Nov 25, 2010.

1. Beams

Beams

Hi,

The signal line (9 days) is the 9 day EMA of MACD

How do work out the EMA of a MACD when EMA involves closing price, and MACD does not? (Formula is from shockcharts.com)

I found Signal Line = MACD * Multiplier + SMA[of 9 days] * (1-Multiplier), is this correct?

I m just starting out and trying to get my head about some of the calculations, I understand there not elemental, I would like to understand how they work before I rely on them.

2. tech/a

tech/a No Ordinary Duck

You can calculate an exponential moving average of any data set it doesn't need to be close.
    MACD is simply the Convergence / Divergence of any 2 M/A's and the Trigger line is an M/A of that---the Moving average Divergence / Convergence.

As for relying on it as a signal all it is is another average expression it tells you how data has represented it self of the past X periods.Tells very little about how its going to perform going forward.
    Like all indicators used in isolation is no better than a 50/50 punt.

3. Beams

Beams

Cheers,

Turns out I had a different EMA equation (which produced the same results). Got it now :)