• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

Look ahead TA Software

Discussion in 'Software and Data' started by p75213, May 16, 2017.

1. p75213

p75213

Hi,
    I am looking for a TA program which allows the following:
    1. Interfacing to 3rd party dll's.
    2. Extending technical indicators into the future.

2. Gringotts Bank

Gringotts Bank

AMibroker

3. p75213

p75213

Does amibroker allow indicators to extend to the right of the latest bar on the chart?

4. Indoril

Indoril

You can reference future bars if that's what you mean. I did it by accident whilst back testing one day. Thought I'd hit the jackpot.

5. Gringotts Bank

Gringotts Bank

You already asked that question, and I already answered it. Amibroker.

6. CanOz

CanOz Home runs feel good, but base hits pay bills!

Technical indicators are calculated on the past and current prices. They cannot be calculated on something that doesn't exist. Cycles attempt to predict tops and bottoms according to the projected peak and trough of the cycle and it may be useful in providing context but that's about it!

7. Indoril

Indoril

You are right in that you shouldn't look into the future and I have no idea what he needs to, but Amibroker can do it - https://www.amibroker.com/guide/afl/ref.html
    "The formula "ref( CLOSE, -14 )" returns the closing price 14 periods ago. Thus, you could write the 14-day price rate-of-change (expressed in points) as "C - ref( C, -14 )." The formula "ref( C, 12 )" returns the closing price 12 periods ahead (this means looking up the future)"

CanOz likes this.
  8. CanOz

CanOz Home runs feel good, but base hits pay bills!

Yes, in fact it's it's looking ahead in history.

9. Quant

Quant

Ichimoku has a similar characteristic although ive never found the use of it , not that ive ever looked that hard . Just about every indicator / filter I use is custom written by myself . If you handmade it you should know " exactly" how it works and its specific purpose . Many/most traders have indi/oscilators on a chart and basically have zero idea of what they represent and measure . TAAZ by Stephen Achelis is a a good reference piece on actual indicator formulas and what they are meant to express .. https://www.metastock.com/customer/resources/taaz/?p=1

ScreenShot3079.jpg

CanOz likes this.
  10. pixel

pixel DIY Trader

... but if you try to apply it to a date less than 12 days ago, it won't deliver a result. However, looking ahead could make good sense for some backtesting, e.g. you extrapolate your predictive model 12 days into the future, then plot the deviation of the actual sp relative to the sp your model was expecting. At a glance, you'd see how well your model matches price evolution for any specific stock.

CanOz likes this.