Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Letter from Rodney Adler's cellmate

Reaction score
Hi all,

Below is a letter published in today's Sunday Telegraph from Rodney Adler's cellmate at Bathurst Correctional Centre. He is serving 15 years for robbery offences. Adler served 2.5 years for fleecing the unsuspecting out of millions.

One had a gun. The other had a pen. Go figure.

I know there are some who will say he has 'did his time' - but really, when you put the two together, has he? What do you all think?

Brad

FOLLOWING is an unedited letter from a prisoner who shared a cell with Rodney Adler at Bathurst prison. The inmate send the letter to The Sunday Telegraph.

My name is ______ and I am currently in prison for robbery offences. The Adler story is not quite the “truth”.

I was at Bathurst prison at the same time as Rodney Adler.

I spent at least 2 hours every day with him discussing his circumstances and things that had happened to him at different prisons & I got to know him fairly well.

I tell you now he DID NOT FEAR FOR HIS SAFETY. That is absolutely a fabrication.

We both worked in the prison cable shop where inmates have tools and if someone wanted to you they could do so in that shop. He walked around in the shop without a care in the world.

He did not get a frightening insight into NSW prison life. He was quite well looked after and inmates treated him well.

I would go as far as saying he was even shown respect and had input with inmate delegates as to issues being raised at meetings.

Rocking the boat was what Rodney was good at & one of the reasons he was kicked out of jails & regressed in classification.

It upsets me to see that he says he mixed with violent people & killers when the truth is he made friends with these people they invested time into him & he didn’t even acknowledge them.

I came to prison with yr 8 education & I am now a post grad and he knows that, I put a lot of my time into listening to Rodney and advising him.

Imagine, such a big business man requiring assistence from an inmate who just happened to get educated in prison.

He very quickly forgot the people in prison who helped him, who liked him & befriended him & actually trusted him.

I spent many lunch times at the cable factory sitting with Rodney while we ate our lunch & I listened to his problems regarding the hard time he was having with his minimum security classification being removed and how we could go abut getting it back for him.

I saw no tough times for Rodney at Bathurst CC, he had a good job, friends, family support, a good weekly buy up with luxury (for prison its luxury) foods, like rice, pasta, eggs, chicken etc and never once did I see him a little depressed or sad in anyway.

I am somewhat dismayed that he did not acknowledge the good things inmates did for him instead he resorted to negative stereotypes.

I’m paying for my crime, 15 years of my life behind bars.

Robbing Aussie Battlers for all they have and getting away with millions and living the good life and then calling the inmates Killers & violent and he feared for his safety, I say white collars such as HiH is monsterous.

Anyway, you should know the truth rather then print what he says as being gospel.

Reaction score
Thank you for posting that letter. It just confirms an article I read recently regarding psychopaths. The psychotherapist said we all fear the criminal/murderous type, but the "functional' type is more prevalent in society than we think. He intimated their favoured arena is business....problem is those #*##* are indestructible.

Julia

In Memoriam
Reaction score
I'm not in the least surprised to read this letter. It relates perfectly to Adler's personality.

Reaction score
Year 8 to postgrad.
Whatta legend!

When your in jail and u want to study like this guy did, does it go on HECS? or how does he pay?

Reaction score
About 2 years ago I worked at a job with people whom had contact with Mr. Adler. They were talking about him betting on the melbourne cup with other inmates so he must have been doing ok.

But they were high society types, they felt that no one should go to jail for white collar crimes even for billions of dollars.

Reaction score
I suspect that with no formal income they would qualify for government sponsored free education.

If somebody got free sex change operation, why not education?
After all they are there for rehabilitation, not for punishment.

Julia

In Memoriam
Reaction score
Adler's personality? Do you know him well personally, Julia?

Thankfully, no, as you would no doubt assume. Doesn't take too much analysis to relate the person described in the letter to the person who lied and manipulated, resulting in the prison sentence in the first place. OK?
Don't you expect that people will form an opinion about your personality from your behaviour, Mousie?