Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Let us spare a thought for our Victorian ASF Members

Reactions
Yes, it's destroying the economy very successfully
You okay Wayne, this statement is not what you would normally say, please PM.

It is not destroying the economy, it HAS DESTROYED the economy in VIC.

You are somewhat correct, it is and continues to destroy the will, confidence and harmony of the Melbourne.

Time will show, Dan the man must GO.

Last edited:
Reactions
Maybe Victoria is ahead of the curve in terms of protecting the community and the economy..
Need to correct your statement
"Maybe Vic is ahead of the curve in terms of protecting the lives of people, while destroying the economy"

Even that is not correct after last week.
1. Friend committed suicide, after losing his business, devoted family man who was always positive and a go getter
2. Another friend who closed down his business after 28 years of successful operating, his friends are making sure that everyday, one of us goes on a walk or a ride with him as we are concerned about his mental health also. Again, a normally extremely positive person, with piles of energy that is in a state of depression.

So yes, we saved some oldies and sacrificed many others lives.

Reactions
Need to correct your statement
"Maybe Vic is ahead of the curve in terms of protecting the lives of people, while destroying the economy"

Even that is not correct after last week.
1. Friend committed suicide, after losing his business, devoted family man who was always positive and a go getter
2. Another friend who closed down his business after 28 years of successful operating, his friends are making sure that everyday, one of us goes on a walk or a ride with him as we are concerned about his mental health also. Again, a normally extremely positive person, with piles of energy that is in a state of depression.

So yes, we saved some oldies and sacrificed many others lives.
This is a wicked problem SP. The stresses on closed businesses and people struggling with the consequences of the lockdowns are profound.

However the situation in Europe as country after country is dealing with exploding COVID infections, illnesses , deaths and collapsing economic consequences isn't a viable direction either.

If one wanted to highlight China or some other countries that have successfully controlled the virus and have effective systems to keep it in check while still operating at a new COVID normal well and good.

moXJO

menace to society
Reactions
This is a wicked problem SP. The stresses on closed businesses and people struggling with the consequences of the lockdowns are profound.

However the situation in Europe as country after country is dealing with exploding COVID infections, illnesses , deaths and collapsing economic consequences isn't a viable direction either.

If one wanted to highlight China or some other countries that have successfully controlled the virus and have effective systems to keep it in check while still operating at a new COVID normal well and good.
I'm not sure lockdowns over an extended period would even be legal. Labor is walking a dangerous line imo.

Reactions
The big problem for Victoria will be when the welfare handouts stop, in the States that are relaxing shutdown restrictions employers are taking on board any workers who want to work, so when the restrictions are fully lifted the transition from government funded to employed should be fairly smooth.
With Victoria, the longer the businesses are closed, the slower it will be for the businesses to gear back up, one would think.
If Victoria is going for complete eradication, I would have thought at this late stage they would just test everyone, otherwise it will be a chase the tail situation for a long time.
As other States have proven, you can have 0 infections for a while then 1 pops up, it is hard to fathom Victoria's reasoning ATM.
Anyway hope it all works out well, it must be terrible going through what they have been through.

W.A seems to have a different problem, Mandurah has the highest unemployment rate in Australia( about 20%), but trying to get people to take a job is proving difficult, maybe when the extra welfare payments reduce it may improve.

Knobby22

Mmmmmm 2nd breakfast
Reactions
I'm not sure lockdowns over an extended period would even be legal. Labor is walking a dangerous line imo.
I think they can only hold 2 weeks max. They may go at one (after the Grand Final). They will lose support from the populace after that. Still winning in the polls though, hence the Feds getting involved to try to score political points.

There is an excellent article by an epidemiologist based in Sydney in the Age today arguing it is too early to end lockdown if Victoria ever wants to be connected to the other states again. Still a bit too much virus travelling undetected in the community. If we break the virus back we won't have a third wave, if we go too early, we will. A week or two extra will hopefully do it.

It is not logical to say we should have been a pariah state and hard shut the borders and gone the UK route. The UK had the same number of infections per day at the start of Melbourne shutdown (700), but now are getting 18,000 a day, 43,000 deaths and are going into shutdown again from a much worse position.

Also I am sure the Vic border wouldn't have held and you can be sure every other state would be in trouble.

Andrews deserves to be kicked out for mucking up quarantine but I think the route to remove it as was the only way to go for the sake of the rest of Australia and was supported by the Feds until recently.

If we can now get to stage 2 and then stage 1 (NSW rules) by Christmas, be open to interstate travel and reduced restrictions at hotels etc. a lot of businesses can make really good money and we can avoid any further lockdowns.

moXJO

menace to society
Reactions
I think they can only hold 2 weeks max. They may go at one (after the Grand Final). They will lose support from the populace after that. Still winning in the polls though, hence the Feds getting involved to try to score political points.

There is an excellent article by an epidemiologist based in Sydney in the Age today arguing it is too early to end lockdown if Victoria ever wants to be connected to the other states again. Still a bit too much virus travelling undetected in the community. If we break the virus back we won't have a third wave, if we go too early, we will. A week or two extra will hopefully do it.

It is not logical to say we should have been a pariah state and hard shut the borders and gone the UK route. The UK had the same number of infections per day at the start of Melbourne shutdown (700), but now are getting 18,000 a day, 43,000 deaths and are going into shutdown again from a much worse position.

Also I am sure the Vic border wouldn't have held and you can be sure every other state would be in trouble.

Andrews deserves to be kicked out for mucking up quarantine but I think the route to remove it as was the only way to go for the sake of the rest of Australia and was supported by the Feds until recently.

If we can now get to stage 2 and then stage 1 (NSW rules) by Christmas, be open to interstate travel and reduced restrictions at hotels etc. a lot of businesses can make really good money and we can avoid any further lockdowns.
There are a few clusters forming in nsw.
I think they could get away with another lockdown as people know that NSW gov races to reopen. Still be plenty of whingers though.

Vic on the other hand just has one big never-ending lockdown.
That's where people start to have Jack of it. You can't just lock people up with no access to family. And that be your main preventative ongoing measure. Its a lazy approach.

Knobby22

Mmmmmm 2nd breakfast
Reactions
There are a few clusters forming in nsw.
I think they could get away with another lockdown as people know that NSW gov races to reopen. Still be plenty of whingers though.

Vic on the other hand just has one big never-ending lockdown.
That's where people start to have Jack of it. You can't just lock people up with no access to family. And that be your main preventative ongoing measure. Its a lazy approach.
It definitely can't go much longer.