Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Lean left on economy, Lean right on culture = winning formula

Reactions
Sounds good to me. :cool:

Is this a trap on your part gg, to weed out the Lefties ? :D
I believe Comrade Vladimir Ilyich Ulyanov (Lenin) preceded me.

He described his equivalent of the Greens, Qanon, Skynews, The Australian, SMH, Daily Telegraph and Guardian readers, Wets, Dries and other sundry muppets as "useful idiots".

Democracy seems to have the answer in the above formula.

Time for the major parties to ditch their "idiots" and move to the Gumnut Centre.

Otherwise totalitarianism will win out.

gg

Reactions
I believe Comrade Vladimir Ilyich Ulyanov (Lenin) preceded me.

He described his equivalent of the Greens, Qanon, Skynews, The Australian, SMH, Daily Telegraph and Guardian readers, Wets, Dries and other sundry muppets as "useful idiots".

Democracy seems to have the answer in the above formula.

Time for the major parties to ditch their "idiots" and move to the Gumnut Centre.

Otherwise totalitarianism will win out.

gg
Too late, I fear.

Reactions
Before you guys work out who is left and who is right, how about just weed out the stupid and ignorant, who cares which political side they are aligned to, as both sides are full of both idiots.

Trying to define peoples leaning towards a belief/ideology without first and foremost understand they are a f---kwit is the issue we are facing.

Garpal, what was the reasoning/purpose of your post?

Reactions
Before you guys work out who is left and who is right, how about just weed out the stupid and ignorant, who cares which political side they are aligned to, as both sides are full of both idiots.

Trying to define peoples leaning towards a belief/ideology without first and foremost understand they are a f---kwit is the issue we are facing.

Garpal is a bit of a stirrer, best not to take everything he writes seriously. ;)

Reactions

When you refer to 'f---wit' I assume you are meaning the persons to whom we may want to lean to. .and NOT the leaner (that was how I read it at first but I was sure That was the NOT intent).

I agree with you absolutely about ascertaining who are the fwits in power. Need to be more diligent before they get elected or put into power. Trouble is there will always be some slip through. :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Reactions

I was following a twitter thread on the politics of disruption during Covid 19 and came across Matthew Goodwin's tweet.

It just seemed to make sense and mirrored my mood and thoughts at the time.

gg

Reactions
Lean left on economy, Lean right on culture

Let's actually define what this means.

I would argue the exact opposite, and by lean, I mean a slight lean from the centre not a lean towards the extremes...

But I would like to clarify what the meaning is here.

Reactions
Let's actually define what this means.

I would argue the exact opposite, and by lean, I mean a slight lean from the centre not a lean towards the extremes...

But I would like to clarify what the meaning is here.
The meaning I took from it was that we need to be more inclusive of all, on the effects of economic decisions made, and that we need to be more conservative on cultural/societal issues.

Examples of the former would be printing more money, providing more social welfare support to keep people in jobs and sustenance, and having higher taxation and less KerryPackerism.

Of the latter, doing as we are told, e.g. not exercising our democratic right to protest in large groups, in an attempt to contain the coronavirus.

gg

Reactions
Oh Wow. This is interesting. I am going out now to sort this out with my mates at the pub. We always solve the worlds problems. Weeven dont need to take notes as we are sooo convinced we have sorted the answers that we wont forget.
I will report back to the ASF world leaders in due course.

Reactions
The meaning I took from it was that we need to be more inclusive of all, on the effects of economic decisions made, and that we need to be more conservative on cultural/societal issues.

Examples of the former would be printing more money, providing more social welfare support to keep people in jobs and sustenance, and having higher taxation and less KerryPackerism.

Of the latter, doing as we are told, e.g. not exercising our democratic right to protest in large groups, in an attempt to contain the coronavirus.

gg
Okay, I respect your opinion and understand the thought process.

I would still argue for the opposite based on that definition, but with some equivocation on the economics... still learning heaps of stuff on that level and seeing sense from both sides.

The information flow may be responsible for differences.

Reactions
Oh Wow. This is interesting. I am going out now to sort this out with my mates at the pub. We always solve the worlds problems. Weeven dont need to take notes as we are sooo convinced we have sorted the answers that we wont forget.
I will report back to the ASF world leaders in due course.
The pub test should never be disregarded :D

Reactions
Think of the whole of existence, of which you are the tiniest part; think of the whole of time, in which you have been assigned a brief and fleeting moment; think of destiny - what fraction of that are you?

MARCUS AURELIUS

Reactions
Think of the whole of existence, of which you are the tiniest part; think of the whole of time, in which you have been assigned a brief and fleeting moment; think of destiny - what fraction of that are you?

MARCUS AURELIUS

Ooo philosopherizing (sic)... Love all that stuff.

If pressed, I'd go for Epicurus with a smattering of Socrates if I ever remember how to do it.

But a fair proposition.

I might opine each is the centre of there own universe.

Disclaimer: singularly unqualified for such discussions ;)

Reactions

MARCUS AURELIUS

Ooo philosopherizing (sic)... Love all that stuff.

If pressed, I'd go for Epicurus with a smattering of Socrates if I ever remember how to do it.

But a fair proposition.

I might opine each is the centre of there own universe.

Disclaimer: singularly unqualified for such discussions ;)

I must admit that on a good day when things go well I'm an unashamed Nietzschian and on a bad I go Stoic like ole Marcus Aurelius.

Very Stoic. Dig in and wait for ole Friedrich to add value when the good karma of my eternal recurrence returns.

In between is the ether.

Now blow dust on your philosophy, as The Bard said.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
- Hamlet (1.5.167-8),

I rather like young Matthew Goodwin's quote

gg

Reactions
Another one I found an affinity with via de Botton, is Montaigne. I think it was the concern with the size on ones member and preferring to hang out with pig farmers... Perhaps even a predilection for studying the ceiling.

Essays was a tough read, but I liked it.

Reactions
I must admit that on a good day when things go well I'm an unashamed Nietzschian and on a bad I go Stoic like ole Marcus Aurelius.

Very Stoic. Dig in and wait for ole Friedrich to add value when the good karma of my eternal recurrence returns.

In between is the ether.

Now blow dust on your philosophy, as The Bard said.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
- Hamlet (1.5.167-8),

I rather like young Matthew Goodwin's quote

gg

I have been reading Marcus Aurelius' meditations again. I have been a bit slack lately with my philosophical advancement. I will dust off the old Western Classics soon to allocate more time with my reading, and post a few quotes. I might even have another read of Lao Tzu's Tao Te Ching for some Eastern balance.