• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

Kevin Rudd for PM

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Garpal Gumnut, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Garpal Gumnut

Garpal Gumnut

Let's face it, Gillard has not got the bottle to be PM.

It appears that the Greens and the 2 Independents will keep Labor in power until the next election when voters will have the chance to turf them out.

Rudd could also count on Bob Katter as an ally, should one of the other three dumbwits pull the pin.

In the interim, having an intelligent person, or should I say more intelligent than Gillard, would only help the country.

There is a move, a small one to be honest, to get KR back as PM.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/pm-going-flat-as-rudd-reinvigorates/story-e6freon6-1225994075706

Plibersek is a Leftie, from Victoria, I believe. Traditionally in the ALP Lefties are Deputies.

gg

2. sails

sails

lol GG - so we went from the fryng pan into the fire and now they want us back in the pan again?...:D.

Surely labor has better leadership possibilities than these two...:confused:

And pleeeeese not Swan...:eek:

3. Solly

Solly

4. Garpal Gumnut

Garpal Gumnut

5. Whiskers

Whiskers It's a small world

Well, the myth that Gillard was one of the better performing ministers under Rudd must surely be taking a beating by now. I suppose it could even be stated that some including Gillard, had their own ideas about how to do things and couldn't match Rudds performance expectations, even resented them and became a self fulfilling profecy to Labor's then low polling.

Ironically the Labor party needs someone with Rudd's sort of work ethic and tight ship mentality to win back voters. The Gillard regime is too fluffy and weak, controlled and influenced by factional support like Shorton and the NSW labor branch. Given that most felt that the policy differences between Rudd's regime and the opposition were a minor influence in their decision, the logical inference is that it all boiled down to the leader and service delivery.

I'm interested to see what happens after the NSW elections later this month. If Labor gets a hiding as the polls suggest, Gillard, will be looking pretty shakey and ripe for a challenge especially with the latest 'policy' decisions to appease independents and Greens to hold onto power.

Since Labor has got on the nose in Vic and NSW support dwindling, and with Rudd's popularity here in Qld essential to maintain and probably easier to increase than most states to maintain a National Labor government... I reckon he will certainly have a go.

If there is one thing that the Australian electorate has said with certainty, with removing Howard, it's don't take us for idiots and spring major policy issues or backflips on us.

6. noco

noco

I doubt very much Rudd would ever be Prime Minister again with his strong connection with the UN Secretary General Ki-Moon on the Climate Change Committee. His ambition is to have Ki-Moon's job and how could he possibly be in that positon if saddled with the Prime Ministership of the Australian Government.When he 'LOST' the top job, Rudd was a a plane to see Ki-Moon that same week.
    In fact I would go futher to suggest, the assassination of Kevin Rudd by Julia Gillard and the so called hence men was a 'PUT UP JOB' to free Rudd from being Prime Minister to pave the way for his ambitions. A situation which may have arisen after his elevation to Prime Minister in 2007. Rudd is more than happy to be wondering around the world to impress World leaders as Foreign Minister. I believe there is a time frame of 18 months from July 2010 for Rudd to realize his dreams.
    We may see some movement by the end of this year or early next year.

7. trainspotter

trainspotter

Greg Combet would not allow it for one. He is being groomed for the top job. He has the support of David Feeney, Don Farrell, Bill Shorten and Mark Arbib. But then again ... so did Julia.

8. Calliope

Calliope

One of the qualifications for a Labor PM is that you must be a proficient liar. Rudd and Gillard are prolific liars, but not proficient at it.

I think Combet is an honest man. Only an honest man or a fool would say this about the unions;

"we used to run the country and it wouldn't be a bad thing if we did again".

And I don't think he is a fool.

9. noco

noco

Upon reading Ki-Moon's lead up the ladder to Secretary General of UN, it all sounds like Kevin Rudd is following Ki-Moon's foot steps.
    Ki-Moon was elected UN Secretary General and commenced office 01/01/2007. His term is due to expire 31/12/2011 but is eligible for re-election. Now if Kevin Rudd knows something we don't, it is possible Ki-Moon may be considering retiring at the end of his 4 year term. If this happens to be true, then the angle Kevin Rudd is playing out is in the time frame of the 18 months from July 2010 as I mentioned before.
    His constant touring of the world and regular contact with world leaders is to gain popularity in his run for election of Sec Gen. It is all about the psychology. That's the name of the game. He will only run again for the ALP leadership if he fails in his attempt at the big job.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ban_Ki-moon

10. Julia

Julia In Memoriam

Agree.
    There was some discussion about this on "The Insiders" this morning with some quite incredible video clips of our Kev, including one which he had made himself and released to the media where he's apparently talking to the troops in, I think, Afghanistan.

If he were able to view his own current frenzied global activity with any sense of objectivity he would realise he's embarrassing himself and his erstwhile colleagues.

As far as any notion of him coming back as Prime Minister, I just can't believe any sane person could consider it for a millisecond. He was a total disaster.

11. Garpal Gumnut

Garpal Gumnut

Following our own Lilibet's performance recently on QANDA, one must ask, when, rather than if, ole Kev is going to be back in the Lodge.

gg

12. noco

noco

GG, it will depend on his success of failure with his bid for the UN Secretary General's job. I believe he is preening himself for a come back to lead the Labor Party if he fails.If he is successful, which I doubt he will be, then he will resign as Foreign Minister and there will be a bi-election for the seat of Griffith early next year.

13. sptrawler

sptrawler

I find this thread is reflective of the Governments problem, there seems to be more moves than a Swiss watch. Doesn't sound good for a government supposedly in office. :D

14. Garpal Gumnut

Garpal Gumnut

Rudd is counting the numbers, I am told.

gg

15. sails

sails

Looks like he has other interests at the moment, GG. And most likely all paid for courtesy of the Aussie tax payer. No wonder this government needs another tax - Rudd must be a very high maintenance chap.

From the Telegraph: Rudd nabs spot on panel

and apparently trying to impress the world with Aussie taxpayer funds:

Australia has a far smaller population than these other countries, is billions in debt, is supporting an ever growing stream of asylum seekers whether or not they are genuine, wants to inflict another major tax as there's not enough even to pay for a bit of flood damage - can we really afford this sort of big noting on the world stage?

Shouldn't there be some trying to "live within our means" with this government?

16. joea

joea

If the USA did not push the LIBYA issue, NATO would still be trying to sort out what they would do about the country.
    So with Rudd there, they will not do much, or are they are looking for a scrapegoat.
    Or better still, did Gillard whisper in their ear. He will be out of her hair then, '"trying to save the world".

Gee!. Gillard had to sort out the problems he caused in China. Now that's saying something!!! And apparently she realy did. Good on her.

Cheers

17. adobee

adobee

Im Hearing - Rudd to make come back, Turnbull being offered treasurer to change teams and Penny Wong to be deputy PM. ..

18. Julia

Julia In Memoriam

Well, that would have been better imo than bombing the place, especially with today's news that in an attempt to take out Gadaafi himself they killed his son and some of his grandchildren. Fantastic! NATO kills children.

Why could not the West simply leave all the Arabs to sort themselves out instead of yet again becoming enmeshed in another mess?

Agree that her performance during this recent trip has been a great improvement.
    For someone who admitted foreign relations was not her best area, she seems to have acquitted herself pretty well.
    The exception I'd make is with respect to lecturing China on human rights.
    They are obviously not going to take any notice of her on this score, and I reckon she'd earn their brownie points more by just shutting up.
    We don't want other countries lecturing us about the woeful state of our indigenous population, eg, so why should we be so pompous as to do it to other countries?

19. sptrawler

sptrawler

From the reports today, high performing teachers are going to get bonuses, problem is they don''t get them for 3 years. That will be the next governments problem, not theirs.

20. moXJO

moXJO menace to society

This is what gets me. Funny how nato has become little more than assassins when it suits their purpose. And why Rudd is carrying on like Sergent slaughter on a topic that has nothing to do with Australia is beyond me, must be the ego trip of bullsh*t'ing on the world stage.