Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Jacqui Lambie for PM

wayneL

Rotaredom
Reaction score
Just getting in first :)

....or maybe Pauline Hanson MkII?

Either way, loads of entertainment to come IMO.

Reaction score
Her first step is to convince Uncle Clive to adopt as policy $5 from every whipper snipper sale going into the JL for PM fund.

pixel

DIY Trader
Reaction score
Just getting in first :)

....or maybe Pauline Hanson MkII?

Either way, loads of entertainment to come IMO.
Well, she'd adapt to the role quite well, methinks.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacqui_Lambie
I only took an interest in her background now that you suggested her for the top job.
If our bra-snapping Buswell could be considered a successor, why not the packet-sizing Senator from Tassie. I most definitely prefer her to the sniveling Ms Milne and her ditzy Young offsider.

Reaction score
I thought the description of her as Pauline Hanson with less brains and less class seemed apt.

Reaction score
Lambie could not possibly be worse than Rudd/Gillard/Rudd....throw in Shorten for good measure.

Knobby22

Mmmmmm 2nd breakfast
Reaction score
Well I like her. She shows spunk.
She fought for her country. Far better than most parliamentarian drones, many who have hardly worked and had a silver spoon in their mouth over their whole life.

In her maiden speech she provides some of her aims is to have an enquiry into the Department of Defence where we know women have been mistreated including herself I am sure. She also wants Tassie looked after and mentioned the disgrace of the Bass Strait transport costs that hold Tassie back. She also wants to help a mate who was discharged disgracefully.

She is a forthright rather than a demure woman and so is disliked intensely by many people in our society who believe women should not behave in this manner. I find it disgusting how packs are being formed to throw stones at her whether it be in the press or within this forum. She is a real Australian, maybe a little naïve, but doing her best despite nasty sniping from the sides.

The way people are behaving reminds me why Tolkien's orcs are based on the nastier aspects of human nature. I hope this thread does not become just another source of hatred and bile.

Watch her speech before you judge so harshly.

Reaction score
"Gruesomely fascinating" may be a good description of Jacquie.

I don't think she is as dangerous to a civilised community as Pauline Hanson, and she has a few weird ideas but seems to have a heart and will be interesting to watch.

Six years is a very long time in politics.

wayneL

Rotaredom
Reaction score
Well I like her. She shows spunk.
She fought for her country. Far better than most parliamentarian drones, many who have hardly worked and had a silver spoon in their mouth over their whole life.

In her maiden speech she provides some of her aims is to have an enquiry into the Department of Defence where we know women have been mistreated including herself I am sure. She also wants Tassie looked after and mentioned the disgrace of the Bass Strait transport costs that hold Tassie back. She also wants to help a mate who was discharged disgracefully.

She is a forthright rather than a demure woman and so is disliked intensely by many people in our society who believe women should not behave in this manner. I find it disgusting how packs are being formed to throw stones at her whether it be in the press or within this forum. She is a real Australian, maybe a little naïve, but doing her best despite nasty sniping from the sides.

The way people are behaving reminds me why Tolkien's orcs are based on the nastier aspects of human nature. I hope this thread does not become just another source of hatred and bile.

Watch her speech before you judge so harshly.
I think playing the misogyny card to be in very poor taste and your comments highly offensive to members of this forum Knobby.

I have observed her for some time now, she deserves no more protection than the pollies you yourself love to hate.

While she has contribution to make, she mouths off on issues she clearly is not qualified to speak on, and considering her comments regarding our PM, it's open season mate. It is nothing to do with her sex, it is her media hounding which raised my interest to open this thread.

No, JL deserves every piece of derision she brings upon herself.

wayneL

Rotaredom
Reaction score
By contrast, Julie Bishop has survived the self inflicted ridicule (the death stare etc) and matured into avery admirable character... in fact..... Julie BIshop for PM.

Julia

In Memoriam
Reaction score
I completely agree with both of Wayne's comments above.
(And it doesn't at all pain me to admit that publicly, Wayne :D.)

Just being outspoken doesn't make someone worth admiring. It's what she says that matters, and most of it has been ill judged and ignorant.

Julia

In Memoriam
Reaction score
I believe this to be untrue.

She has never fought for her country.

gg
I don't know which of you above is correct. Knobby, you've asserted she fought for her country (sounds very noble), so maybe you could outline for us where and how she did this?

A quick google brought up the following:
After year 11, she took a year off because she was drifting and wagging school. At 18, she applied to join the army, more for a lark than anything. What neither she nor the army knew was that she was a few weeks pregnant, a result of a fling with a boy who was "in the wrong crowd". She says the army tried to kick her out, but she hung in.

Lambie loved the army, and her face still lights up when she speaks of it. It offered structure, camaraderie, discipline, hard work, and ready-made support for a teenage single mum. Hers was a modest 11-year career, moving from the transport corps, where she drove trucks and serviced vehicles, to ambulance driving in Brisbane before she joined the military police, investigating minor matters on army bases. Along the way, she met fellow soldier John Milverton, the father of Dylan.

Joining the military police was a "wake-up call", she says, an on-the-ground feminist awakening. "[I thought] I'm going to have to lift the bar by about 100 per cent or they're going to annihilate me ... I had a corporal who was an absolute ********, and even though we were all corporals, he just treated the females like a piece of crap. We all had drinks one day and I took a swing at him. That got me charged. I wouldn't say it was worth it, because all I did was break my little finger. I lost a stripe for it."

Politics wasn't something Lambie thought much about. She thinks she voted Liberal mostly, but can't really remember. "I couldn't even tell you what one party done from the other back then. I just know that Defence told you this party's going to give us this, this party's going to give us that, give your votes to that party, because that's how it used to work."

That was life until July 1997, when she participated in a weekend skills course in Victoria. She was in the bush for 48 hours, carrying a 40-kilogram pack on a 40-kilometre march. For 12 hours on a Saturday night, she and another soldier carried a weighted ammunition box full of rocks. There was an obstacle course, a three-kilometre walk to a bayonet range, another long walk to a rifle range. It was a tough course, but not out of the ordinary for the army. On Monday, she awoke with excruciating back and neck pain and could "hardly move".

What followed was intensive physiotherapy, a back brace, cortisone injections into the upper back, painkillers, part-time work, slight improvements and setbacks. She was posted to Darwin in 1998 and in February the next year, the army paid for a breast reduction. "They thought it might take pressure off my back. It certainly helped, but it didn't fix it."

Towards the end of 1999, she was about to be deployed to East Timor as a searcher - if female detainees are searched, it has to be done by a woman. "I thought 'bewdy', 10 years and I'm finally going to get overseas and fight for the country.

"Twenty-four hours before we were about to leave they went round and said, 'Put your arms up so we can put your flak jackets on; make sure your gear's all ready.' When they put the flak jacket on me, I knew I was on my last legs. I just collapsed on the floor. I couldn't get back up. Then I was gone."

A few months later, in March 2000, Lambie was medically discharged from the army.
- Fairfax, Gay Alcorn, 19 April 2014

Nothing there about her fighting anywhere.

She is a forthright rather than a demure woman and so is disliked intensely by many people in our society who believe women should not behave in this manner. I find it disgusting how packs are being formed to throw stones at her whether it be in the press or within this forum.
Are you actually suggesting that those of us who are critical of Ms Lambie are so inclined simply because she is a woman?
Has anyone suggested your dislike of Tony Abbott is because of anything other than his policies and what he says? I don't think so.
The fact that many people find Ms Lambie ignorant and poorly advised in terms of airing her questionable views doesn't substantiate any claim that such people are acting 'as a pack'.
Just simply that she has failed to gain respect from many voters.

Reaction score
the disgrace of the Bass Strait transport costs that hold Tassie back.
It's obviously an issue that really only impacts one state, but it's a major one and I'd agree it's a disgrace.

Something is seriously wrong when shipping from Bell Bay or Burnie to Melbourne costs more than shipping from Melbourne to the other side of the world. Very wrong indeed, and it seems that the Port of Melbourne / Vic government and the shipping industry is basically holding the state to ransom, killing what remains of Tas productive industry in the process.

I've often wondered why we don't ship via Sydney, Adelaide or even New Zealand instead since I suspect it would be cheaper. It's not the distance that's the problem, it's the ridiculous costs on shore.:2twocents

Craton

Mostly passive, contrarian.
Reaction score
By contrast, Julie Bishop has survived the self inflicted ridicule (the death stare etc) and matured into avery admirable character... in fact..... Julie BIshop for PM.
wayneL Thanks mate, when I read the thread topic well, let's just say I'm still cleaning up the coffee from the laptop. :D

Hmm, Julie Bishop for PM you say. You know, that may very well have some merit.

Are you actually suggesting that those of us who are critical of Ms Lambie are so inclined simply because she is a woman?
Has anyone suggested your dislike of Tony Abbott is because of anything other than his policies and what he says? I don't think so.
The fact that many people find Ms Lambie ignorant and poorly advised in terms of airing her questionable views doesn't substantiate any claim that such people are acting 'as a pack'.
Just simply that she has failed to gain respect from many voters.
Yep, +1

Knobby22

Mmmmmm 2nd breakfast
Reaction score
I didn't mean to suggest that the participants on this site were misogynists, so I take that back it was more directed at some public figures in the media.

I should have said she served her country not fought, as women aren't allowed to fight anyway.

I just didn't want to see this thread degenerate into the kinds of things I hear on the ABC and other media sources and I was worried that this was beginning to occur.

If people argue she is incompetent or wrong or whatever with examples then obviously I have no problem with that. It is the abuse I don't like, of which on this thread there was only one example which was the Pauline Hanson comment which motivated me to write it (though even that was more an attempt of humour).

The rest still stands. I think she makes some good arguments and is a breath of fresh air.
Where are the Labor or Liberal senators with regard to promoting Tassie interests? We know they don't because it is their job as Senators to be quiet and vote the correct way. The Consitution was set up so the Senate would promote state interests and this has completely failed in my view with regard to Tasmania.

For the major parties the selection process for Senators really has 2 parts: are you a loyal stalwarts? have you a stable personality?
People with imaginations and independent ideas should not apply.

BTW, I was the first to suggest Julie Bishop as the new leader, she would be a good compromise candidate and I have not seen her put a foot wrong yet. I notice the media has taken up the idea now (though obviously not from me).

Craton

Mostly passive, contrarian.
Reaction score
I didn't mean to suggest that the participants on this site were misogynists, so I take that back it was more directed at some public figures in the media.

I should have said she served her country not fought, as women aren't allowed to fight anyway.
I just didn't want to see this thread degenerate into the kinds of things I hear on the ABC and other media sources and I was worried that this was beginning to occur.

If people argue she is incompetent or wrong or whatever with examples then obviously I have no problem with that. It is the abuse I don't like, of which on this thread there was only one example which was the Pauline Hanson comment which motivated me to write it (though even that was more an attempt of humour).

The rest still stands. I think she makes some good arguments and is a breath of fresh air.
Where are the Labor or Liberal senators with regard to promoting Tassie interests? We know they don't because it is their job as Senators to be quiet and vote the correct way. The Consitution was set up so the Senate would promote state interests and this has completely failed in my view with regard to Tasmania.

For the major parties the selection process for Senators really has 2 parts: are you a loyal stalwarts? have you a stable personality?
People with imaginations and independent ideas should not apply.

BTW, I was the first to suggest Julie Bishop as the new leader, she would be a good compromise candidate and I have not seen her put a foot wrong yet. I notice the media has taken up the idea now (though obviously not from me).
My bolds.
Not now but didn't this change a few years ago?

Combat roles offered to women

Mark Dodd |
The Australian |
April 12, 2011 12:00AM

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...offered-to-women/story-fn59niix-1226037485919
On 27 September 2011, Defence Minister Stephen Smith announced that women will be allowed to serve in frontline combat roles by 2016.[15] Women became able to apply for all positions other than special forces roles in the Army on 1 January 2013; it is planned that this remaining restriction will be removed in 2014 once the physical standards required for service in these units are determined. Women will be directly recruited into all frontline combat positions from late 2016.[16]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_the_Australian_military
Back on topic.

I actually would like to see JL mature as a pollie and not succumb to the dummy spitting antics of her party's leader.

Re. Tassie freight costs. Without knowing the facts it does seem an appalling state of affairs. So what did Bob Browne do about it?

Reaction score
It's one thing for J.Bishop to be commenting on events over which she has little control, but things will get a lot harder if she has to defend Hockey's disastrous budget.

She seems pretty tough though, and maybe she will do a good job at that too. Apart from Malcolm who doesn't seem to be going anywhere fast she is the best of a bad bunch of possible successors.

Julia

In Memoriam
Reaction score
She seems pretty tough though, and maybe she will do a good job at that too. Apart from Malcolm who doesn't seem to be going anywhere fast she is the best of a bad bunch of possible successors.
Not to mention how she outclasses anything of either gender on the Labor benches.