• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

Jacqui Lambie for PM

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by wayneL, Sep 3, 2014.

1. wayneL

wayneL Rotaredom

Just getting in first :)

....or maybe Pauline Hanson MkII?

Either way, loads of entertainment to come IMO.

2. drsmith

drsmith

Her first step is to convince Uncle Clive to adopt as policy $5 from every whipper snipper sale going into the JL for PM fund.

3. pixel

pixel DIY Trader

Well, she'd adapt to the role quite well, methinks.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacqui_Lambie
    I only took an interest in her background now that you suggested her for the top job.
    If our bra-snapping Buswell could be considered a successor, why not the packet-sizing Senator from Tassie. I most definitely prefer her to the sniveling Ms Milne and her ditzy Young offsider.

4. burglar

burglar

In first ... but too oily!

5. banco

banco

I thought the description of her as Pauline Hanson with less brains and less class seemed apt.

6. noco

noco

Lambie could not possibly be worse than Rudd/Gillard/Rudd....throw in Shorten for good measure.

7. Knobby22

Knobby22 Mmmmmm 2nd breakfast

Well I like her. She shows spunk.
    She fought for her country. Far better than most parliamentarian drones, many who have hardly worked and had a silver spoon in their mouth over their whole life.

In her maiden speech she provides some of her aims is to have an enquiry into the Department of Defence where we know women have been mistreated including herself I am sure. She also wants Tassie looked after and mentioned the disgrace of the Bass Strait transport costs that hold Tassie back. She also wants to help a mate who was discharged disgracefully.

She is a forthright rather than a demure woman and so is disliked intensely by many people in our society who believe women should not behave in this manner. I find it disgusting how packs are being formed to throw stones at her whether it be in the press or within this forum. She is a real Australian, maybe a little naïve, but doing her best despite nasty sniping from the sides.

The way people are behaving reminds me why Tolkien's orcs are based on the nastier aspects of human nature. I hope this thread does not become just another source of hatred and bile.

Watch her speech before you judge so harshly.

8. SirRumpole

SirRumpole

"Gruesomely fascinating" may be a good description of Jacquie.

I don't think she is as dangerous to a civilised community as Pauline Hanson, and she has a few weird ideas but seems to have a heart and will be interesting to watch.

Six years is a very long time in politics.

9. wayneL

wayneL Rotaredom

I think playing the misogyny card to be in very poor taste and your comments highly offensive to members of this forum Knobby.

I have observed her for some time now, she deserves no more protection than the pollies you yourself love to hate.

While she has contribution to make, she mouths off on issues she clearly is not qualified to speak on, and considering her comments regarding our PM, it's open season mate. It is nothing to do with her sex, it is her media hounding which raised my interest to open this thread.

No, JL deserves every piece of derision she brings upon herself.

10. wayneL

wayneL Rotaredom

By contrast, Julie Bishop has survived the self inflicted ridicule (the death stare etc) and matured into avery admirable character... in fact..... Julie BIshop for PM.

11. Julia

Julia In Memoriam

I completely agree with both of Wayne's comments above.
    (And it doesn't at all pain me to admit that publicly, Wayne :D.)

Just being outspoken doesn't make someone worth admiring. It's what she says that matters, and most of it has been ill judged and ignorant.

12. Garpal Gumnut

Garpal Gumnut

I believe this to be untrue.

She has never fought for her country.

gg

13. Julia

Julia In Memoriam

I don't know which of you above is correct. Knobby, you've asserted she fought for her country (sounds very noble), so maybe you could outline for us where and how she did this?

A quick google brought up the following:
    - Fairfax, Gay Alcorn, 19 April 2014

Nothing there about her fighting anywhere.

Are you actually suggesting that those of us who are critical of Ms Lambie are so inclined simply because she is a woman?
    Has anyone suggested your dislike of Tony Abbott is because of anything other than his policies and what he says? I don't think so.
    The fact that many people find Ms Lambie ignorant and poorly advised in terms of airing her questionable views doesn't substantiate any claim that such people are acting 'as a pack'.
    Just simply that she has failed to gain respect from many voters.

14. Smurf1976

Smurf1976

It's obviously an issue that really only impacts one state, but it's a major one and I'd agree it's a disgrace.

Something is seriously wrong when shipping from Bell Bay or Burnie to Melbourne costs more than shipping from Melbourne to the other side of the world. Very wrong indeed, and it seems that the Port of Melbourne / Vic government and the shipping industry is basically holding the state to ransom, killing what remains of Tas productive industry in the process.

I've often wondered why we don't ship via Sydney, Adelaide or even New Zealand instead since I suspect it would be cheaper. It's not the distance that's the problem, it's the ridiculous costs on shore.:2twocents

15. Craton

Craton Mostly passive, contrarian.

wayneL Thanks mate, when I read the thread topic well, let's just say I'm still cleaning up the coffee from the laptop. :D

Hmm, Julie Bishop for PM you say. You know, that may very well have some merit.

Yep, +1

16. Knobby22

Knobby22 Mmmmmm 2nd breakfast

I didn't mean to suggest that the participants on this site were misogynists, so I take that back it was more directed at some public figures in the media.

I should have said she served her country not fought, as women aren't allowed to fight anyway.

I just didn't want to see this thread degenerate into the kinds of things I hear on the ABC and other media sources and I was worried that this was beginning to occur.

If people argue she is incompetent or wrong or whatever with examples then obviously I have no problem with that. It is the abuse I don't like, of which on this thread there was only one example which was the Pauline Hanson comment which motivated me to write it (though even that was more an attempt of humour).

The rest still stands. I think she makes some good arguments and is a breath of fresh air.
    Where are the Labor or Liberal senators with regard to promoting Tassie interests? We know they don't because it is their job as Senators to be quiet and vote the correct way. The Consitution was set up so the Senate would promote state interests and this has completely failed in my view with regard to Tasmania.

For the major parties the selection process for Senators really has 2 parts: are you a loyal stalwarts? have you a stable personality?
    People with imaginations and independent ideas should not apply.

BTW, I was the first to suggest Julie Bishop as the new leader, she would be a good compromise candidate and I have not seen her put a foot wrong yet. I notice the media has taken up the idea now (though obviously not from me).

17. Craton

Craton Mostly passive, contrarian.

My bolds.
    Not now but didn't this change a few years ago?

Back on topic.

I actually would like to see JL mature as a pollie and not succumb to the dummy spitting antics of her party's leader.

Re. Tassie freight costs. Without knowing the facts it does seem an appalling state of affairs. So what did Bob Browne do about it?

18. SirRumpole

SirRumpole

It's one thing for J.Bishop to be commenting on events over which she has little control, but things will get a lot harder if she has to defend Hockey's disastrous budget.

She seems pretty tough though, and maybe she will do a good job at that too. Apart from Malcolm who doesn't seem to be going anywhere fast she is the best of a bad bunch of possible successors.

19. Julia

Julia In Memoriam

Not to mention how she outclasses anything of either gender on the Labor benches.

20. SirRumpole

SirRumpole

She hasn't had the blowtorch on the belly yet

:D