Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Italy default/exiting Euro?

Reactions
With bond yields soaring since Oct 2010, Italy seems to be on a one way trip....

http://www.bloomberg.com/quote/GBTPGR10:IND/chart

...or can the Euronuts save them from themselves with an additional Italian-flavoured tsunami of bits of pretty printed paper some call "money"?

... or is this their own version of End Of Days come early?

Reactions
Mo money! ---> it is the only choice other than breaking the Euro up and they don't want that.

Reactions
I spoke too hastily about doom and gloom over Europe. The best Treasurer in the world is on their case.

APEC must tell Europe to act - Swan
Treasurer Wayne Swan is urging APEC leaders to unite and tell Europe to tackle its financial crisis quickly.

Wysiwyg

Everyone wants money
Reactions
That Berlusconi has had an interesting time as errrr leader. What a fine example of a good person. ;)

Reactions
I spoke too hastily about doom and gloom over Europe. The best Treasurer in the world is on their case.
HAHA exact thoughts that ran through my mind when i read this article. calliope you almost had it, today is the day the original gfc engulfs futile attempts to fight it off.

nothing can be done to save these debt ridden nations. these ridiculos austerity measures they are trying to pass are a joke. governments account for somewhere between 30-50% of a nations spending. if they dont spend a country falls into recession. they can appear to be cutting spending, but in theory they cant. quite vicious.

italy are too big to bail out - im sure they will find a way to hold off the collapse of italy for a few weeks.

berlusconi obviously saw this coming - hence why he was trying to get out?

Reactions
You are over stating the issue here... I doubt very much this will roll out anything like 2008 if only because every idiot in town is calling it.

Reactions
You are over stating the issue here... I doubt very much this will roll out anything like 2008 if only because every idiot in town is calling it.
indeed it won't. the EU won't sit idly by and watch everything collapse, time for some printing:D. because if we have learnt anything from the previous couple of years, its that printing money fixes everything, right? as does debt restructuring.:rolleyes: i don't know how much longer than can hold it off though, i didnt think they would get this far tbh.

Julia

In Memoriam
Reactions
They could hardly do otherwise, given the reality of the situation in Europe.

However, you're right to suggest those economists with egg all over their faces as a result of failing to predict the GFC Mk I are now over-anxious to not find themselves in the same situation again.

Reactions
it seems the half life of the hair of the dog is getting shorter and shorter.

Reactions
Much worse then? :cool:
No... well depends what you own BUT it will not be the goldbugs wet dream of financial Armageddon.

indeed it won't. the EU won't sit idly by and watch everything collapse, time for some printing:D. because if we have learnt anything from the previous couple of years, its that printing money fixes everything, right? as does debt restructuring.:rolleyes: i don't know how much longer than can hold it off though, i didnt think they would get this far tbh.
We have even warmed up yet! When the Yanks and the Euronuts are all in the streets protesting higher prices then we will be getting closer to the end. A decade to run easily, countries will leave the Euro, US states will hit the wall.... lots more fun and money to come.

The GFC was the GFC because the situation was not transparent which froze the system totally. The commercial paper markets totally locked up well ahead of the GFC proper and if you mentioned on forums "this is going to be huge" you got shot down by EVERYONE. This time the whole world expects GFC II, every hack journo in every hack paper has flagged it expecting a repeat of 2008.... the hedge funds have worried the prices of GREAT companies to silly valuations... all singing the same tune. This is not how markets crash, this is how markets bottom. Markets crash from complacency and over valuation, we have fear and undervaluation, hell we even have "economists" now saying that the mining boom is over, if that ain't a buy signal I don't know what is! :2twocents

The critical thing with the Euro mess is that it is transparent unlike 2008. We know where the risk is and we know that in the end they will not allow failure even if it means nationalization of the wounded banks.

In the 80's we had the LDC crisis which technically should have bought the US banking system and the worlds to a crunching halt... but it didn't... because the culprits where identified ahead of time and the rules where twisted, accommodations where made, mergers happened and all that was humanly possible was done to spread the pain over a decade or so to work it out. We are in the same boat here and we will be living with the aftermath of this for a similar period of time. ---> JMO.

Reactions
Indeed, Mr Market is looking and acting more like a punch drunk every day....

LOL.
The US market is just under flat for the year... not exactly Armageddon. A volatile year but it is still standing despite the headlines.

Funny that you never hear the headline "Market ADDS x billion dollars today!" :D

This action is born of thin markets and active hedge funds, there is nobody left in the room but the sharks and there is less and less to eat. The hedgies will soon turn on each other and the short squeeze will be something to behold ESPECIALLY when you consider the cash sitting on the sidelines, rate cuts and FOMO!

A BIG rally is brewing IMO.

Reactions
The US market is just under flat for the year... not exactly Armageddon. A volatile year but it is still standing despite the headlines.

Funny that you never hear the headline "Market ADDS x billion dollars today!" :D

This action is born of thin markets and active hedge funds, there is nobody left in the room but the sharks and there is less and less to eat. The hedgies will soon turn on each other and the short squeeze will be something to behold ESPECIALLY when you consider the cash sitting on the sidelines, rate cuts and FOMO!

A BIG rally is brewing IMO.
agreed - i think it will appear to have legs, and will occur mid december MO. maybe hit 4800? possibly january,and possibly even higher. after taking that final breath of life from governments on their last legs, all will appear good! dont be fooled, this is a time to close positions, take profits, and get the hell outta there. as you said previously i think mr z - things turn sour when you least expect it, and a huge rally and a string of good news leaving people unaware and oblivious might be just what it's waiting for.

Reactions
Kinda... but you are looking shorter term, there is a bigger story unfolding.

Reactions
Well that all depends on what you are buying and when...!?

Bank on increased volatility until the sharks have finished feeding on themselves.

Stay nimble grasshopper... :D

Generally bullish for now... sans Euronut ECG wimpout.

Dona Ferentes

The Bourse Whisperer
Reactions
time for a revisit?

The blow that Covid-19 has dealt functioning economies was exacerbated by nice Germany not helping Italy a month or so ago in an appeal to issue coronabonds
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...arity-in-support-of-coronabonds-idUSKBN2210NJ

Recently, the Fed singled out Italy in the latest report, basically calling a fiscal catastrophe unfolding in Italy.

Take a look at these paragraphs from the May Stability Report
https://www.federalreserve.gov/publications/files/financial-stability-report-20200515.pdf
“In Italy, for example, additional fiscal measures could have implications for the sustainability of Italian sovereign debt, which is already elevated as a share of output.
If debt sustainability were to materially worsen in Italy and in other highly indebted countries, it also could stress European financial institutions and lead to political tensions within the euro area.
Such a development could, in turn, affect the U.S. economy and the financial system through dollar funding markets, credit exposures, a further deterioration in risk appetite, and trade channels.”

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Italy - Is it saveable? International Markets 13
I Beppe Grillo fights for Italy General Chat 4
C Hallo from Italy General Chat 11
traderino Hi from Italy! General Chat 16