• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

Is this a scam?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Mikii, Oct 13, 2010.

Tags:
  1. basilio

basilio

Ever been tempted to become an Amazon seller ? After checking this out you might re consider.

How to Lose Tens of Thousands of Dollars on Amazon
    A growing number of self-proclaimed experts promise they can teach anyone how to make a passive income selling cheap Chinese goods in the internet's largest store. Not everyone’s getting rich quick.
    https://www.theatlantic.com/technol...-peddling-secrets-getting-rich-amazon/578443/

sptrawler and greggles like this.
  2. basilio

basilio

Is this a scam ?

3. satanoperca

satanoperca

I love this stuff. Yes you can make millions on Amazon, if you are that one in a million. Amazon doesn't care, they need participants (both sellers and buyers) for their platform to work.

But interesting article :
    "The couple had hoped to strike it rich—or at least quit their day jobs—buying goods from China and reselling them on the e-commerce site. Instead, they lost their savings" boo hoo, same with lots of small businesses, but most people don't think there business will get them rich, just provide an income.

"all they needed to do was pay $3,999 for three months of coaching that would teach them everything they needed to know about the business"

"In an email, Behdjou told me that nearly 1,000 students have paid to receive training from him, with only a “small handful of complaints.”

Why sell on Amazon, when you can gross $4M selling how to sell on Amazon, I guess it is a lot harder to make that much on Amazon.

Buyer beware.

PS. I develop IT software systems for selling/marketing products and services. I have reduced down my service offering to clients, due to the face, I have the knowledge and skills and make more money building my own businesses using tech, then providing the tech to other people.

Just like trading platforms, if you have one that works, why tell anyone, exploit it for your own richess

sptrawler likes this.
  4. sptrawler

sptrawler

5. qldfrog

qldfrog

Am i alone to think that people tgat stupid do not deserve having that amount of money, or be able to manage it?
    I travel the world meet hundreds of people bright and slaving at work for a pittance..maybe there is karma?

sptrawler likes this.
  6. satanoperca

satanoperca

Just because someone is stupid with their actions, doesn't mean they do not deserve the money they have earn't. I agree, that when you read the article, it seems ridiculous, but love is a powerful emotion that can be exploited. We should not look poorly on the victim but rather hunt down the perpetrator and hang him by his balls

Belli and cynic like this.
  7. Belli

Belli

While it was certainly unwise of her I'm not in a rush to criticise the person handing over money. I've been single for a number of years after my wife died. It takes some effort to learn how to be alone, which shouldn't necessarily be equated to loneliness.

Skate and qldfrog like this.
  8. basilio

basilio

Romance scams are some of the most powerful and effective scams on the net. Again I havn't been personally affected but I have seen some of the examples and they can work.

One of the critical elements is that when your "in love" you just believe or want to believe this new person is great, is for real whatever. You drop your capacity to be cautious.

Unfortunately romance scams are getting more and more clever. For example there is a site that offers Romance scam check - and then delivers you to sites they say are safe.. I don't think so
    And then there are examples of how people are tricked/seduced into parting with packets of cash.
    Very difficult.

https://www.romancescams.org/
    https://romancescamsurvivor.org/stories-from-victims/#story2

9. basilio

basilio

If you have the time/inclination this very involved story of a serial con artist jumps the shark.
    Just amazing and bewildering.

The Perfect Man Who Wasn’t
    For years he used fake identities to charm women out of hundreds of thousands of dollars. Then his victims banded together to take him down

By the spring of 2016, Missi Brandt had emerged from a rough few years with a new sense of solidity. At 45, she was three years sober and on the leeward side of a stormy divorce. She was living with her preteen daughters in the suburbs of St. Paul, Minnesota, and working as a flight attendant. Missi felt ready for a serious relationship again, so she made a profile on OurTime.com, a dating site for people in middle age.

Among all the duds—the desperate and depressed and not-quite-divorced—a 45-year-old man named Richie Peterson stood out. He was a career naval officer, an Afghanistan veteran who was finishing his doctorate in political science at the University of Minnesota. When Missi “liked” his profile, he sent her a message right away and called her that afternoon. They talked about their kids (he had two; she had three), their divorces, their sobriety. Richie told her he was on vacation in Hawaii, but they planned to meet up as soon as he got back.
    https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2018/04/our-time-com-con-man/554057/

10. basilio

basilio

11. dutchie

dutchie