• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

Most liked posts in thread: Is this a scam?

1. basilio

basilio

Ever been tempted to become an Amazon seller ? After checking this out you might re consider.

How to Lose Tens of Thousands of Dollars on Amazon
    A growing number of self-proclaimed experts promise they can teach anyone how to make a passive income selling cheap Chinese goods in the internet's largest store. Not everyone’s getting rich quick.
    https://www.theatlantic.com/technol...-peddling-secrets-getting-rich-amazon/578443/

sptrawler and greggles like this.
  2. satanoperca

satanoperca

Just because someone is stupid with their actions, doesn't mean they do not deserve the money they have earn't. I agree, that when you read the article, it seems ridiculous, but love is a powerful emotion that can be exploited. We should not look poorly on the victim but rather hunt down the perpetrator and hang him by his balls

Belli and cynic like this.
  3. Belli

Belli

While it was certainly unwise of her I'm not in a rush to criticise the person handing over money. I've been single for a number of years after my wife died. It takes some effort to learn how to be alone, which shouldn't necessarily be equated to loneliness.

Skate and qldfrog like this.
  4. againsthegrain

againsthegrain

Paypal is good for buying, especially from overseas.

The problem is when you are receiving funds to your paypal, especially larger sums. The balance has to clear to your bank or credit card first, within this period if the money is frozen, reversed or refunded there is very low chances of speedy recovery, most cases go instantly in favour of the buyer as like with all credit card charge backs.

Say even once the money does clear into your account, bigger sums lets say 10k or 20k thats fine, but after if the buyer decides to notify paypal that they are not happy with the purchase or have not received it paypal will put your account in negative and ask you to give the money back while they investigate. Most people would just ignore this and say im not putting nothing back my item is sold bad luck. However with larger transactions of a few thousand paypal will no doubt try to recover the money through debt collectors etc which is a headache.

Now compared to making a sale through bank transfer, cash, you would never even hear about such obstacles, so dont bother receiving large sums of money through paypal.

Also this is a typical scamer story, they are always in a place that is hard to reach, limited communication and seeking to buy a gift urgently. nobody buys car for a gift without inspection, if they are that rich not to care and take "your word" then they can afford a brand new car.

aus_trader likes this.
  5. Mikii

Mikii

Thanks againsthegrain and stevenc - great explainations !

I knew it was a scam thats why i posted on here so everyone knows about it. they piss me off so badly. I hope others can also learn from this.

Stevenc - thats a good idea to use a pre paid mobile when you sell things and another separate email... just to be safe that theres no harrassments... Do you have another house for pickups too ? lol

these scammers are all over the internet, and they are thinking of new ways to scam every time. but its too obvious, anything too good to be true, is already suspicious.

p.s - imagine he sent me too much fake money, and wants me to return back some, and i return too much fake money, then he has to pay me back - scamed a scam, I like to see that !!!

aus_trader likes this.
  6. satanoperca

satanoperca

I love this stuff. Yes you can make millions on Amazon, if you are that one in a million. Amazon doesn't care, they need participants (both sellers and buyers) for their platform to work.

But interesting article :
    "The couple had hoped to strike it rich—or at least quit their day jobs—buying goods from China and reselling them on the e-commerce site. Instead, they lost their savings" boo hoo, same with lots of small businesses, but most people don't think there business will get them rich, just provide an income.

"all they needed to do was pay $3,999 for three months of coaching that would teach them everything they needed to know about the business"

"In an email, Behdjou told me that nearly 1,000 students have paid to receive training from him, with only a “small handful of complaints.”

Why sell on Amazon, when you can gross $4M selling how to sell on Amazon, I guess it is a lot harder to make that much on Amazon.

Buyer beware.

PS. I develop IT software systems for selling/marketing products and services. I have reduced down my service offering to clients, due to the face, I have the knowledge and skills and make more money building my own businesses using tech, then providing the tech to other people.

Just like trading platforms, if you have one that works, why tell anyone, exploit it for your own richess

sptrawler likes this.
  7. qldfrog

qldfrog

Am i alone to think that people tgat stupid do not deserve having that amount of money, or be able to manage it?
    I travel the world meet hundreds of people bright and slaving at work for a pittance..maybe there is karma?

sptrawler likes this.
  8. moXJO

moXJO menace to society

I often wonder how people can be so dumb. I guy I use to do some work for (who knew I was into shares) was telling me all about this chinese investment. That some company had offered to him by phone. I think I was only 18 at the time and said "Its a scam".
    He only got more defensive and ended up sinking about $180k

Another guy I know has been sending money to a "world lotto" all via phone for about a decade. Zero paperwork, ticket numbers, proof. I didn't even bother pressing him.

And another time I walk into my parents house my old man is on his computer and the phone with his credit card out. His computer has some bs scanning on the screen.
    What had happened was he clicked on to some website and it locked the computer so he couldn't do anything. A fake virus (this one was microsoft) scanner pops up and then tells you to call a number and then gets your details. I grabbed the phone and yelled at them for about 10 mins. Then held the power button for 10secs on the laptop and good to go.

I've got a pretty long list of scammer stories.

SirRumpole likes this.
  9. bellenuit

bellenuit

I had seen that one on FaceBook and reported it as a scam. I even forwarded a public statement from Twiggy disassociating himself from that article. The reply from FB was that it did not contravene their policies. I mean at the least, apart from being a scam, it is clearly Fake News, which FB is claiming they are attempting to eliminate from the site.

cynic likes this.
  10. gordon2007

gordon2007

It's a known scam. Don't even bother returning any call back. Again, when something somes too good to be true...run :)

11. Twiddle

Twiddle

Yep definite scam. A friend got an almost identical reply a while back when trying to sell his car.

12. nunthewiser

nunthewiser

Let me get this right...

The scam involves the buyer offering to pay by paypal... then asking the seller for money for some reason?

Or is it just the paypal transaction offer the scam?

13. matty77

matty77

100% scam.

run to the hills.

14. snowking

snowking

Yeah a definite scam, I know multiple people that have been targeted. I am surprised they haven't tried something new by now

15. Mikii

Mikii

nunthewiser - he wants my pay pal email address so he can send me his money.

But we know he wants the pay pal email address so he can hack into it or something.

I'v heard of scams asking for us to make payments, but not asking us for them to pay us lol. its different now.

Im suprised that they are on carsales now, theyr all over the place!

16. nunthewiser

nunthewiser

cheers.

17. sails

sails

I don't like reading word jumbles like this with poor punctuation to boot. However, I can't find where the seller pays the purchaser money.

Giving the email address seems to be legit with PayPal for people sending money - https://cms.paypal.com/au/cgi-bin/m...er-content&content_ID=marketing_au/send_money

I would also be very suspicious with such an email, however, I can't see where the seller is at risk. The money comes into his account and said car gets picked up.

What have I missed in that jumble of words - lol ???