• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

Is property investment more passive than stock investment?

Discussion in 'Business, Investment and Economics' started by helpme, Dec 3, 2017.

1. helpme

helpme

I have done stocks but never property. However, it seems to me property investors don't seem to spend as much time on active investment compared to stock investors. Stock investors spend more time monitoring the market. So, is property investing more passive than stock investing? Passive means less time is needed.

2. luutzu

luutzu

Always keep your eyes on your basket.

Property... depends on how you have it managed. If by an agent they'll "look after" it for you... then send you the bills for every freaking little thing (plus).

if you manage your property investment yourself, say renting it out... tenants will either complain about the smallest things, and you better be handy or pay someone to fix. Or they trash your place and skip the final few payments where you can either forget about it or go sue them.

Stocks... you don' thave much control, if any. Not at the "retail" end. But there's no need to get involved, just get in or get out.

3. helpme

helpme

Have you done both stocks and property in your personal investments? From your experience, which took up less time? Stocks or property?

4. tech/a

tech/a No Ordinary Duck

Buy and hold either ——- about the same

Flip houses and trading ——— about the same

Property Development and trading ———about the same.

Do and have done all of the above.

5. luutzu

luutzu

I have stocks holdings but no direct property investment in my name. My parents and siblings do have property investments and I have done a few architectural drawings for their houses, extension and granny flats.

Have also built a couple of houses, as in built, not hire someone to build. So I know a fair enough amount about property.

For my parents I'm often the guy that goes over to fix up rentals. Change taps, leaking roofs, sewage, minor paint jobs.

So if you're not handy and would rely on an agent to hire and manage those kind of fixes, it'll eat into your rental income. I guess it depends on how much time and interest you care to spend on each.

Personally I prefer stocks but then I'm not rich enough to diversify across classes. But if I hit the big one, might own one property or two, the rest goes into stocks.

Time spent researching stocks, I think anyway, are more profitable than into property. Especially for those with the interest and small capital base.