• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

Is CBA a good buy?

Discussion in 'ASX Stock Chat' started by Tl9998, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Tl9998

Tl9998

Just interested to hear some perspectives for CBA at the present time?

I recently bought 100 shares at $74.30 and was attracted by the dividend growth. But since buying it, I am concerned with headwinds such as the possible mortgage crisis with a potential rates increase. Further, their future capital growth increases.

I have a long hold strategy with my shares, but this is my first bank purchase.

Thoughts?

2. greggles

greggles I'll be back!

How long do you intend to hold? One month? One year? Ten years?

It's a difficult question to answer. If you are looking at a long term hold then you'll probably be fine.

Short term is a different story. Your concerns about headwinds are well placed and there is still quite a bit of downside risk, especially in the wake of the banking royal commission.

big.chart-CBA.gif

explod likes this.
  3. aus_trader

aus_trader

It's a tough question to answer, I can only offer my perspective.

I would have considered a non banking stock that still pays dividends, such as those in Medium/Longer Term Stock Portfolio given the possible negative sentiment to the banks at the moment due to Royal Commission/Money laundering claims especially aimed at CBA.

If it had to be a bank I'd consider one of the others especially since you are aiming to hold for the longer term. This is the reason: I know that CBA holds the largest quantity of residential mortgages and if there is a crisis(as you've mentioned) or even a few defaults here and there due to an economic downturn, then which bank has the higher probability of write downs ? Something to think about.