Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

iPad or Android tablet?

Reactions
I’m looking to get one of these, either the I Pad mini or Nexus 7 or Galexy tab 2, there are others but at the moment it comes down to these 3, the I pad is far more expensive but is it worth it ?, the nexus is the cheapest but is it as good ?, are you paying more for the I Pad as its an Apple product.

I like the look of the nexus and the 7 inch screen although smaller than the other 2 actually suits me as I want something to carry around with me, currently I take a small laptop everywhere but one of these would be much better, looked at an I phone or Galaxy but the screen is just way too small at about 3 or 4 inches but also why are these so much more expensive than the small tablets ?, there basically the same with phone capability !.

Cheers

Pager

Reactions
a few people at work have the Nexus 7 and are quite happy with it. The good thing is it's a google product so when Android is updated they tend to rollout the updates faster than the other vendors.

It's pretty light, and I'd have prob bought one if I'd not already had a tablet. It's a good size for reading books or watching a TV show on the way to work. I'd say not big enough if you want to do a lot of email or text based stuff.

Apple makes very good h/w and seem to support their customers pretty well, and I have to admit they still have the best integration of how each bit connects to the other. There is the problem of lock in though. My housemate has an iPad and he's annoyed over how difficult it can be to do some simplish things on android. I also find it's much easier to get a free app on Android compared to iOS.

I'm hanging out to see what the Samsung Galaxy note 3 will be like, and what google plans to do with the next version of the Nexus tablet lineup.

Reactions
It depends - are you an Apple or PC person? Do you have a Mac or PC/laptop?

I have been a PC person all my life, never liked Apple. Then one day my friend had a deal for an iPad mini, so I went along with it and got it. Totally wasn't used to how things worked, like how files are stored/transferred is totally different. I haven't used it much, so kinda wasted a bit of money there. In hindsight, wish I had gotten a Samsung tablet, as I'm sure that would be more compatible with my laptop.

Bill M

Self Funded Retiree
Reactions
I have a 7 inch Acer Android tablet and a Alcatel smartphone. I find the smartphone is almost impossible to use as they keys are so small and I am forever using my fat fingers hitting the wrong buttons. I hate using my smartphone for internet.

The Acer tablet is much better but it is not my preferred internet access mode. My Acer has 3G capability but it does not receive a signal as good as the smartphone.

I prefer the good old laptop, with a real keyboard and mouse where you can cut and paste with ease.

If I had to buy a new tablet now I would go for the 4G Ipad (full size one). We older people prefer bigger screens with easy to tap buttons and keyboards. If you need the smaller size then the 7 inch might suit you, but if size doesn't matter I'd go the bigger screen.

Reactions
I have a 7 inch Acer Android tablet and a Alcatel smartphone. I find the smartphone is almost impossible to use as they keys are so small and I am forever using my fat fingers hitting the wrong buttons. I hate using my smartphone for internet.

The Acer tablet is much better but it is not my preferred internet access mode. My Acer has 3G capability but it does not receive a signal as good as the smartphone.

I prefer the good old laptop, with a real keyboard and mouse where you can cut and paste with ease.

If I had to buy a new tablet now I would go for the 4G Ipad (full size one). We older people prefer bigger screens with easy to tap buttons and keyboards. If you need the smaller size then the 7 inch might suit you, but if size doesn't matter I'd go the bigger screen.
I think a lot depends on whose ecosystem you want to be in. The main two are iOS (Apple) or Android (Google developed, but supported by many vendors). For instance, if you are in the iOS ecosystem and have an iPhone, most apps will also run on the iPad. This can be important for paid apps, as you usually only pay for them once.

I have an iPad, iPhone and iMac and love all three. As someone said above, you can get locked in, which certainly is the case with me, as it would be a big hassle to bring in a non iOS device or non OSX PC/Laptop into my environment (there is fairly close integration between iOS mobiles/pads and your Mac OSX desktops/laptops as well). However, I like Apple products, so I don't care too much. My experience with their reliability has just been superb and they all look good with their aluminium casings (though the iPhone is looking dated now).

Something worth considering about the Android environment is that all androids are not the same. Someone mentioned above that the Google android is one of the first to get updated when there is a new android release, which is true, but some of the products from the other vendors may wait many many months for the update to be released, if they get an update at all. This is because each vendor tends to make some changes to their version of Android to differentiate their product from others. So there will be extra delays after a new release of Android for them to test changes they have made against the new version. Also, many of their older products have comparatively low sales volumes, so in many cases they just couldn't be bothered wasting resources on that product, resources that could be spent on getting their current product updated sooner. If you Google "android and fragmentation" you will get more on this issue.

Reactions
I’m looking to get one of these, either the I Pad mini or Nexus 7 or Galexy tab 2, there are others but at the moment it comes down to these 3, the I pad is far more expensive but is it worth it ?, the nexus is the cheapest but is it as good ?, are you paying more for the I Pad as its an Apple product.

I like the look of the nexus and the 7 inch screen although smaller than the other 2 actually suits me as I want something to carry around with me, currently I take a small laptop everywhere but one of these would be much better, looked at an I phone or Galaxy but the screen is just way too small at about 3 or 4 inches but also why are these so much more expensive than the small tablets ?, there basically the same with phone capability !.

Cheers

Pager
Read a very interesting article once that said unless you are a full on techhead - they are essentially the same.

That being said; bought an iPad mini for my lady friend and she loves it. It's way more portable than the standard one and with smartphones giving you the ability to tether these days; you can get a decent sized browser when you are on the go!

I'm actually looking to buy a Chromebook when I go to the US later this year...still can't believe we have to pay $100 more in AUS :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Reactions
Read a very interesting article once that said unless you are a full on techhead - they are essentially the same.:
Have heard the same - FWIW the computer dorks at work all recommend the Android, especially Samsung but they are all catching up with each other so which ever one takes your fancy or is on special.
My son has an ipad and loves it, but he's 6.
The missus has a Sony Xperia, we picked up a month or so ago, and although she only uses it to watch movies/tv and play Bejeweled type games, it has frozen twice. Have no idea why.

Apple is apple - people seem to love it or hate it. If you don't have a problem being "locked in" to Apple's system of music, apps, etc - I think it *may* be the better machine. For flexibility/price, I'd be looking at Android.

Have fun.

Reactions
Being a professional nerd I thought I would go Android but I ended up going Apple/iPad, with a caveat that I am also looking forward to the Surface Pro. In the end, it came down to how much time do I want to invest in making things go on a daily basis. For something that I am in essence replacing my paper note pad with, I want to it to work without having to invest a lot of time to make it work. If you confine yourself to using any tablet to cloud based servcies i.e. Evernote, Lastpass, etc, then they all work more or less the same but if you will not always be connected, then you need the integration that sydboy spoke about. For that, and from the perspective of workflow, Apple wins hands down even though there are a number of deficiencies in their ecosystem such as lock in which was also mentioned. It's not that you can't make seemless workflow for music, podcasts, etc. it's that it usually requires more maintenance.

Bottom line, if you don't mind tinkering with software, data, workflow, etc, then an Android is fine but if you just want it to work, albeit at the expense of some flexibility, then Apple.

ROE

Reactions
Work out what you use the device for....go and play with those devices and see which one you like best...

I am a PC user most of the time and I got an iPad.
You cant go wrong with iPad, rock solid, well designed and it just works the way it designed to do.

Reactions
I am a PC user most of the time and I got an iPad.
You cant go wrong with iPad, rock solid, well designed and it just works the way it designed to do.
The only downside with the design is Apple's bizarre insistence on not letting you use a mouse with the iPad. When remote accessing a desktop or virtual system, it can be very annoying.

Reactions
I would also look into a tablet using Windows 8 , my phone runs this and it's pretty good so far. You don't get locked into buying Apple that is not compatible with other Microsoft products you may have . And with Android I still find allot of the Apps / Software is pretty gimicky and needs more development to be useful. It seems ok for the younger generation but Windows seems to suit me as an older user. :2twocents