• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

Investments for my two year old

Discussion in 'Beginner's Lounge' started by Kirstinauz, Sep 15, 2018.

1. Kirstinauz

Kirstinauz

Hello all,

I’m from the US and I have a bit of experience trading back home but still new to the Australian stock market.

Just looking for a bit of advice. I’m looking to start a long term investment account for my baby. Ideally something that I can invest about $2000 and then pay an additional $100 a month for a fixed term of 16 years.

Can you give me some ideas of how I should invest considering the small initial investment and that I would like to make monthly payments? I would love to see a return of around 5-7% and hoping to mitigate the possibility of less than 2% return?

More flexibility on the length of term would be amazing.

I’m happy to do the research myself but an active two year old keeps this single mom pretty busy.

2. tech/a

tech/a No Ordinary Duck

Just trade an ETF
    On a long term timeframe
    Would be handy to have trading knowledge.
    There are a number of trading plans you could adopt
    Only limited by your creativity.

kid hustlr likes this.
  3. Darc Knight

Darc Knight Investor not Trader

Given the timeframe Shares would be preferred wouldn't they. Given the fact a monthly deposit is to be made wouldn't a non-ETF fund be preferred due to the trading costs?
    Doesn't Vanguard have non ETF Index funds still?

4. greggles

greggles I'll be back!

I realise you don't live in Australia, but if you're looking for simple you can't beat something like this: https://raizinvest.com.au/

I'm sure that there must be a number of similar options available in the USA.

5. MarketMatters

MarketMatters

Also look at SMA's as an option as the platforms allow the functionality you're after. In general terms, no matter where you invest beware of the Australian tax laws for unearned income of a minor (under 18) https://bit.ly/2MYtR8x. Can be a very expensive decision!