Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Investment organising help

Reactions
Hi all,

If I wanted to track 20 companies on the stock exchange that I am interested in, what would be the best way to keep the vital investment information organised?

I am thinking of creating a template in excel for 4 categories.

Company efficiency - Will consist of ratios such as Inventory turn over, accounts receivables etc

Company strength - Working capital etc

Profitability - Profit margins etc

Investment ratios - EPS, DPS, EqPS, ROE etc

I would then dig through the annual reports, find all the relevant info and put them all on to relevant excel categories, I would do this for 20 businesses because I feel I can track 20 companies at any given time.

Or do you guys feel there is a more efficient way of doing this? Please tell me

Thanks in advance

ENP

Reactions
Sounds like a brilliant idea to me.

I might go and do that myself actually. Thanks for the tip!

However, I've got less companies that I'm interested in and would most likely add in 5-10 years of past data into the excel spreadsheet.

ROE

Reactions
I have all that in my head :) serious not to that extend but
I do a lot of reading and I do it daily so I have a lot of business profile in my head

what asset they got, what their debt level, their cash flow etc .....
that way when some business trades at a juicy price I'm ready to pound...
good idea for you to do that though...information is the key if you know more than

everyone else about a certain business you can make much better decision and able to calculate its worth with confident... and when headless chook running around calling the sky is falling or those poor bastard that got margin call and cant meet their obligation and brokers has to liquidate at any going price on the market

these information is your gold mine to make some kick ass informed decision :)

Reactions
Sounds like a brilliant idea to me.

I might go and do that myself actually. Thanks for the tip!

However, I've got less companies that I'm interested in and would most likely add in 5-10 years of past data into the excel spreadsheet.
Yes, I was thinking of doing the same, maybe have the Ratios on the left vertical, and have the years from 2012 - 2002 on the top horizontal.

To make it simpler I might even get rid of the Investment ratios and put them into the Profitability category

skc

Goldmember
Reactions
Hi all,

If I wanted to track 20 companies on the stock exchange that I am interested in, what would be the best way to keep the vital investment information organised?

I am thinking of creating a template in excel for 4 categories.

Company efficiency - Will consist of ratios such as Inventory turn over, accounts receivables etc

Company strength - Working capital etc

Profitability - Profit margins etc

Investment ratios - EPS, DPS, EqPS, ROE etc

I would then dig through the annual reports, find all the relevant info and put them all on to relevant excel categories, I would do this for 20 businesses because I feel I can track 20 companies at any given time.

Or do you guys feel there is a more efficient way of doing this? Please tell me

Thanks in advance
Some posters here are able to extract / query financial data from Comsec with Excel automatically.

You might consult them on how that is done if they are willling to help.

Here's one

https://www.aussiestockforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20847&p=659587&viewfull=1#post659587

There are others in that thread - they are the ones with the pretty valuation spreadsheet/charts.