• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

Internet Forum Bullies

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by GreedFear&Hope, Apr 29, 2011.

1. GreedFear&Hope

GreedFear&Hope

I copied this from doing a search on "internet Forum Bullies"
    Interesting topic for discussion........maybe?

I actually find that there are two classes of people who cause maximum trouble on forums. One is of course, the traditional "troll" who wreaks havoc by anti-social behaviour and by deliberately riling up forum members to get kicks out of it, causing havoc and bad blood in the process.

I think as admins, we need to realize that there is another group which I would term as "online bullies" or "internet bullies" who can become equally destructive in undermining communities.

These gentlemen/ladies differ from trolls in the sense that they are not anti-social, but they are an accepted and sometimes well-respected members who assume a sort of informal and unofficial leadership role. They use this position to intimidate and assert their views on newer and less established members and often push their weight around to mark territorial rights. They will generally try and behave properly, but subtly try and behave like moderators and preach about forum behaviour. They will also turn and insult people as they wish and surprisingly other forum members will turn a blind eye to them. They will usually "adopt" ownership of a single forum or a subforum of a board and hang out there frequently with their clan. (this feature is usually more common in larger forums)

These people are often the starting point of cliques because they can gather a group of yes-people around them in no time.

Beware of these people and watch out for them because they can be a lot more trouble in the long run than isolated trolls running loose.

Sometimes you just need an excellent troll to combat an established forum bully

Similarities between trolls and bullies:

Both trolls and bullies can cause enormous damage to a forum by their behaviour.
    Both trolls and bullies usually have excellent communication skills using which they attack their opponents unmercifully.
    Both trolls and bullies can be intimidating to any normal forum user.
    Both trolls and bullies have the effect of creating bad blood.
    Both trolls and bullies are hard to control without intervention right from the top - the forum administrator(s) or owner(s) because even moderators might find it hard to control them without support from others.
    Differences

Trolls are usually isolated. They are generally short-lived in a forum. A person who signs up on a forum specifically to troll doesn't hang around in other parts of the forum and leaves as soon as the damage is done.
    Bullies are more or less regular forum members who might have a huge post count and a following.
    Trolls usually hit and run. A successful troll needs only a couple of posts in a single thread to turn it into a raging tornado.
    Bullies stay on and intimidate other members by throwing their weight around and using their group of yes-people to lend force to their powerful attacks.
    Trolls are usually identified for what they are.
    Bullies rarely get identified for what they are, because they are regular members and nobody can suggest that they are ordinary trolls because they have a huge post count.
    Trolls hardly respond to challenges. Instead they enjoy watching others fight.
    Bullies enjoy fighting and run around bashing everybody who dares oppose them.
    The potential damage done by trolls is limited to a particular topic of discussion or at most a forum.
    The potential damage done by bullies is forum-wide and not related to topics, but to the personality of the bully and the kind of respect and influence he wields.

2. tech/a

tech/a No Ordinary Duck

Joe has a pretty good handle on it NOW I think.

Anyway the cream floats to the top.

notting likes this.
  3. Glen48

Glen48 Money can't buy Poverty

Totally agree, a forum is suppose to be a place where you can discuss ideas the challege it being able to accept you may be wrong and accept some one else might be correct but also realise the next issue you could be correct.
    The biggest issue facing our race is being able to work out how the Human brain/emontions/thinking work nothing else is more important today.
    Once if we can work this out we can find out why some are religious, gamblers, killers, rapist, violent etc.

4. Wysiwyg

Wysiwyg Everyone wants money

As a long time victim of bullies, not only on the internet but in everyday life, I have acquired irreversible side effects from the over consumption of cement. I was constantly told by astute esteemed technical b.s. analysts, professional lurkers, self righteous appendage slurpers and cut 'n' paste heroes to "take a teaspoon of cement and harden up".

At first the daily teaspoon of cement really did transform me from a 100 kilogram soft appendage to a real force to be reckoned with. As one can well imagine though, eventually I had to undergo surgery as the cement began to harden and block my bowels. After achieving full recovery I warn people against the teaspoon of cement to harden up recommendation and now only visit Aussie Stock Forums where people are friendly and always smiling.

For all victims of internet bullying I now recommend Aussie Stock Forums and to stay off the cement.

Love Wys. :)

5. sptrawler

sptrawler

Classic Wys, by the way which cement tasted the best?

6. Wysiwyg

Wysiwyg Everyone wants money

Sorry but I am not available for comment at this time and can only say be very very careful of what you type. We are watching. ;)

7. Glen48

Glen48 Money can't buy Poverty

There is a rumour 1 of sand and 2 of cement will help with erection problems if injected in the right appendage.

8. NewOrder

NewOrder

That's tame, try hanging out on a parenting site, some of the more unevolved of the species suggest a cup of cement.

9. SirRumpole

SirRumpole

10. Tisme

Tisme Apathetic at Best

The thing is that it's not perceived as bullying by those who jump on the bandwagon and certain sites are expected to attract robust and insulting comments (e.g. twatter).

I remember Brawl Hall, which was basically a troll and flame training school where people would get relentlessly hammered, but keep coming back as if they were addicted. I think this happens on social media and why those victims invariably resort to memes as an indirect way of expressing their nightmare existence.

Perhaps admins and friends should watch out for memes and without using condescending "you are beautiful" etc wank just tell them to take a break from putting themselves out there, maybe create a new account and avatar.

11. SirRumpole

SirRumpole

Yes I suppose you have to have a thick skin on social media these days, and if you get sh*t thrown at you then one solution is not to engage on the medium.

12. basilio

basilio

That was awful. It's just RS that it takes the suicide of a young(relatively famous) kid to highlight the damage that is caused on much social media.

There was a particularly powerful film called Cyberbully in 2015 which illustrated the pwer/damage the net can cause.

Cyberbully is a UK television film that premiered on Channel 4 on 15 January 2015. The docu-drama thriller stars Maisie Williams as a typical teenage girl who lives her life out online, and is called out for her cyberbullying by an anonymous culprit. The film was written by Ben Chanan and David Lobatto, with Chanan also directing the feature.

https://nobullying.com/cyberbully-2015/

13. Tisme

Tisme Apathetic at Best

It might be a flag, but it won't change what is now a normal and expected behaviour. The millenials are not constrained by the same ethics the baby boomers had drilled into them by their austere parents and sunday school. Even X gens are markedly different with a holier than thou, even belligerent attitude that they truly believe is their birthright to redesign history and rules of engagement.

14. SirRumpole

SirRumpole

I blame a lack of religious education for our selfish society.

<turns and runs away very fast/>
    :D

15. Tisme

Tisme Apathetic at Best

Of course it has to be the right religion:rolleyes:

16. tech/a

tech/a No Ordinary Duck

Pathetic people hide behind things like Avatars and handles.
    Back in our day we were face to face.

If some bully was out of line then there would always be someone bigger and tougher to pull them back.
    Gangs
    Bullies
    Belligerence.

Too many put up with it and too many stay silent.
    Legal system is toothless.
    Police are hog tied by do gooders.

People are starting to take things into their own hands.
    Get a legal system with teeth
    Police should be FEARED by those who do wrong.
    We --Society should NEVER tolerate any of this.

We are a society of scaredy cats.
    To worried about who we maybe offending.
    To worried about being sued.

Toughen up people and take control of your family and your patch of turf.
    Become a respectful community that says enough is enough---your not welcome here!
    You deprive me of my Aussi Liberties then Duck off.

Ill be celebrating Australia day just like every other patriotic AUSSI.

17. Logique

Logique Investor

I think in general ASF is very good in this area. I can think of a few names, former posters that Joe eventually gave the boot.

Boggo likes this.
  18. notting

notting

Net bullying is a new phenomenon and I think many people perhaps underestimate what kind of effect they are having on another because they are not face to face and not aware of the demeanor of the person they are addressing.
    But of course there are just horribly jealous and sad humans out there that just want to drag others down to make themselves feel validated.

explod likes this.
  19. Logique

Logique Investor

Thanks SirRumpole for bringing this to our attention. I can't imagine what 14 year old Dolly's family must be going through. We can't be losing young Australians, with their whole lives ahead of them, to of all things, suicide after internet bullying.
    Dolly_Jan2018.jpg

Everybody, please get behind the cause in memory of this 14 year old girl

qldfrog and SirRumpole like this.
  20. sptrawler

sptrawler

In my life I've never found turning the other cheek, has any other effect, than getting two smacks.

It is imperative IMO, that a parent give a child the strengh of character, to speak up when they feel they are being intimidated.

The key to me is intimidation, when it starts, if the person is told ( as tech/A says) to duck off.
    It is an end, it isn't a negotiation or a pleasant request to decease, it's a line in the sand.
    The one thing I'm really proud of with my four kids is, they don't hesitate to speak up, when they feel they are being treated badly, unfairly or with disrespect.
    I always said to them as they got older, don't eat $hit sandwiches, because if you do, they are the easiest things to make and people will keep serving them up.lol

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    Logique and explod like this.