• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

Internet connectivity sucks

Discussion in 'Trading/Investing Resources' started by SerendipiTrade, Apr 21, 2019.

1. SerendipiTrade

SerendipiTrade Al Mo

hi there
    I’m in Brisbane North side. I’m with Optus. I’m with IB. I trade from SierraChart, connected to IB. Connectivity keeps dropping out. IB assured me it’s not on their end. Optus support is hopeless. Not sure where the failure is;network, node, modem, cabling, computer? Need to investigate and solve it, and install the proper infrastructure... willing to pay accordingly, but don’t even know where to begin... anybody here that might be able to help? Like I said, neither IB nor Optus have been helpful... whether it’s network infrastructure, hardware or software, who can I go to to dig deeper and seek a definitive solution. This issue is driving me nuts. Thanks for guidance

2. Smurf1976

Smurf1976

First thing is to prove that it's your internet connection that's actually the problem.

Assuming you own a smartphone of some sort then:

1. Disconnect your internet from the computer. Unplug the cable from the modem to the computer ensure it really is disconnected.

2. Tether the phone to the computer such that you are using the phone's data for your internet communications.

Try trading in the normal manner and see if the problem occurs or not. Assuming it's fixed, that at least proves that the problem is your internet connection and you have now proven that.

Don't forget that you'll be using mobile data whilst doing this so bear that in mind.

qldfrog and cynic like this.
  3. qldfrog

qldfrog

You should also have a log on your modem, this will tell you if internet is failing, or is a software issue

Smurf1976 and cynic like this.
  4. Tpbal

Tpbal

If it gets real bad, you can always transfer your application to a VPS in sydney. At least the app will always function correctly. you just may lose access to it from your end...