Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

International bank transfers

Reactions
I was wondering what is the best/cheapest way to transfer money abroad. I generally send small amounts <$5000 if that makes a difference.
Any suggestions are welcomed.

Does anyone have thoughts on online services i.e. www.xe.com?

Glen48

Money can't buy Poverty
Reactions
I found xoom.com to be ok all slug you think Western Union are the worst.

Reactions
Hi, found this post on Twitter, Check out currency brokers, there are many of them around.

I work for one of them. XE is probably the most known, but doesnt mean they will be the most competitive.

Reactions
On this topic, I have three questions:

1. If I do a telegraphic transfer, and incorrectly write down the account number on the form (and the account does not exist), will I be notified of this at the time I hand over the cash? Or do they just take my cash, do it later and at that time (when I'm well and truly gone) discover the error?

2. I was asked when I did the telegraphic transfer whether I wanted to convert the money here or in the destination country - anyone know the difference?

3. If I do it online, and put in the wrong account number, the money gets taken out of my account but where does it go?

Glen48

Money can't buy Poverty
Reactions
I had trouble with Xoom sent to wrong address had to send a fax to USA indcluding every swear word I could think of to get a result took about 2 mths to sort.
You can send e mails but is its all some how computerised so you can't get a direct answer.

Reactions
I had trouble with Xoom sent to wrong address had to send a fax to USA indcluding every swear word I could think of to get a result took about 2 mths to sort.
LOL!

Must've been a significant amount. I just did a small amount to 'test' it. Lucky too, because I got the account number wrong :(

I have told CBA and they will use their "best endeavours" (at a cost of $25) to track it down. But I do wonder where it's gone :confused:

Glen48

Money can't buy Poverty
Reactions
Trouble is none of them want to chat via e mail and keep sending the same computer generated reply, if you could talk to some one it would save a lot of trouble for both parties.

YELNATS

Non illegitimus carborundum
Reactions
I was wondering what is the best/cheapest way to transfer money abroad. I generally send small amounts <$5000 if that makes a difference.
Any suggestions are welcomed.

Does anyone have thoughts on online services i.e. www.xe.com?
I have used T/T from my St George Bank cheque account several times over the past few years to send amounts of about A$2000 to my brother-in-law's Singapore bank account.

There's never been a problem and they charge $20 each time. This may not be the cheapest but it works.

Reactions
I have used T/T from my St George Bank cheque account several times over the past few years to send amounts of about A$2000 to my brother-in-law's Singapore bank account.

There's never been a problem and they charge $20 each time. This may not be the cheapest but it works.
That's pretty good, CBA charges $22 for online and Bank of China charges $33 for counter service.

Reactions
I think you can send money via paypal.
I haven't sent money, but have used paypal for purchases, no problems whatsoever.
I think you can send money to anyone who has a paypal account and an email address.
I could be wrong but it would be worth checking out.
The I's have it.LOL

prawn_86

Mod: Call me Dendrobranchiata
Reactions
TD (or anyone),

If you need to send >10k overseas PM me and i can help you out with both price and ease of use. I work for a FX Brokerage