Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Ingrid Betancourt saved from FARC

kennas

Searching
Reactions
I live just down the road from Ecuador and Columbia and this drama has been quite interesting to watch from the 'inside'.

FARC still hold about 500 prisoners, in chains, many being held for years.

The governments of Ecuador, Colombia, and Venezuela have failed to rescue them, which IMO is absolute BS!

Politics has kept these people in chains the past few years and it is incredibly frustrating to see it from this side of this world.

The human species need to be questioned once again.

Damn, I've seen too much crap! in this world.

:mad:

kennas

Searching
Reactions
She's on Larry King right now in SA and she's holding some stuff back, that you would expect.

She'll be back in politics soon.

IFocus

You are arguing with a Galah
Reactions
It always makes me smile when I hear the appropriately named FARC makes the news of course after hearing the usual bad news that comes it soon takes the smile away.

Columbia has an extremely violent history by any measure, remember reading up about the "30 year dirty war" before traveling through in "87"

In fact reading the national papers in Columbia at the time was an experience as usually the first several pagers were plasted with numerous photos of dead bodies.

I maybe wrong but thought that Columbia had moved forward a little since then.

Reactions
There are reports that the hostage rescue was staged to give the Colombian government credibility. I guess the story does sound pretty far fetched.

Anyway, you have to look at this in context. Some facts:

1. Colombia is the only US friendly government in the region. When they couldnt pay back their debt from the IMF, Uribe's government opened the resource rich country up for privatisation with the US mining companies. Law was passed to charge the foreign companies a mere 0.4 percent royalty.
http://www.colombiajournal.org/colombia247.htm

2. Uribe is in power from a rigged election (Mugabe anyone?).

3. Uribe's deathsquads have murdered peasants and trade unionists in the countryside to protect and expand foreign investment in the country's resources.
http://blog.thehill.com/2008/03/26/colombian-military-murders-more-and-more-unionists/

4. US sends billions of military aid to Colombia to fund guerrillas to safe guard US investment in the country.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/1746943.stm

5. And let's not forget that the Colombian military killed everybody last time FARC tried to negotiate for Ingrid's release in Ecuador. An illegal infringement of sovereignty.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Andean_diplomatic_crisis

I also read somewhere that the last time leftists dropped their arms and took up political paths, the Colombian state murdered thousands of militants.

So I guess my point is, FARC is a legit resistance movement. Their portrayal in the media as drug dealers and hostage takers ignores what the crimes committed by the US backed Colombian government. No different from the way the media talks about all the other enemies of the US.

kennas

Searching
Reactions
I maybe wrong but thought that Columbia had moved forward a little since then.
Absolutely, Columbia is one of my favourite countries and peoples in the world, just behind Mexico.

It's a combination of frontier town, and beauty, and history, that makes it.

I've been twice and will be back there again.

No one should go through life without having visited Cartagena.

:)

kennas

Searching
Reactions
There are reports that the hostage rescue was staged to give the Colombian government credibility. I guess the story does sound pretty far fetched.

Anyway, you have to look at this in context. Some facts:

1. Colombia is the only US friendly government in the region. When they couldnt pay back their debt from the IMF, Uribe's government opened the resource rich country up for privatisation with the US mining companies. Law was passed to charge the foreign companies a mere 0.4 percent royalty.
http://www.colombiajournal.org/colombia247.htm
Yep, agree with this.

Venezuela and Ecuador are currently anti US. Even though the Ecuadorian military wear US camouflage uniforms..:confused:

They are both very against Columbia at the moment for the accptance of US aid. You would be silly to think the US did not have a hand in this, along with the French.

But, they havn't done enough. Imagine our country having people being held political/hostages prisoners for the past 5 years, or so.

They still have some issues.

IFocus

Reactions
No one should go through life without having visited Cartagena.

And for any single male add the girls of Cartagena

Kennas spent 4 months surfing down the west side of Mexico and traveled through the northern inland down from El Passo but over all liked Guatemala more found them far more friendlier.

Oh unfortunately the government and right wing death squads were killing Indians at the time, more papers with more dead bodies.....

kennas

Searching
Reactions
And for any single male add the girls of Cartagena

Yes, part of equation.

My wife couldn't believe how beautiful the girls are there.

Musics a bit too loud though.

:confused:

Reactions
Imagine our country having people being held political/hostages prisoners for the past 5 years, or so.
If our country's government had paramilitaries going around killing people and the world turns a blind eye on it, it is not too hard to imagine.

...Mind you Kennas, I have not seen the country first hand like you have, I just became interested in the subject because I know some Venezuelans and Argentinians.

IFocus

Reactions

Musics a bit too loud though.

LOL yes remember blasting through the Andes many times packed into a bus with the music cranked up and some one asking for it to be turned up louder sort of helped take the focus of narrow roads clinging to the sides of mountains especially heading to Quito from the border.

The bus up to Huaraz from Chimbote in Peru ....sorry I am off topic