• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Individual Privacy

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Tisme, Oct 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Tisme

Tisme Apathetic at Best

So the Libertarian party has so far:

1) made our meta data transparent to public servants so they can stop terrorists in their tracks.

2) enabled public servants to GPS track us via our phones

3) Now our drivers licence pics are to be used to track us via an ubiquitous facial recognition system nationwide and no doubt our international public service partners too. I don't remember agreeing to my pic being shared to a national database and agreeing to people tracking me 24/7.

All of these things are because we passed from the 20th century into the 21st and a magic pudding took control.

Apparently we all thought it was happening anyway so we don't mind....so much for vesting our interests in politicians to do the right thing by us. I suspect many of us have just given up the idea that govts would protect our individual freedoms of association and privacy.

2. lusk

lusk

As technology advances its destiny the government will become more totalitarian.
    Probably get to a point where people have had enough and disconnect.

3. SirRumpole

SirRumpole

The thing I worry about is how good is the facial recognition technology ?

A lot of people look like other people. I can see the day coming when an innocent person will be mistaken for a terrorist and will be gunned down in the street by the cops.

4. luutzu

luutzu

They aren't very good.

Put a beard on (or remove, depends), or a pair of glasses and that's it. You're a suspicious looking guy but not recognised on the system.

All that this database will do is for our servant to keep an eye on us wherever we go. It's population control, not "prevent terrorism". Though that might be true depends on whether you define potential protest leaders, union organisers and other trouble makers as threats to democracy.

5. Wysiwyg

Wysiwyg Everyone wants money

Private CCTV won't be tapped only government installed cameras at places like malls and airports. Anyway yout ISP, telephobe service and banks know where you have been and what you are doing already. I see it as them (the watchers) wasting a considerable amount of their time. You don't have to do anything different like when your neighbour is watching through the bedroom window. :D

6. Tisme

Tisme Apathetic at Best

More is not less, it's more. Just because we are already having our privacy abused doesn't mean we double layer it, we should be halving it.

Terrorist must be loving this ****, giving them immense satisfaction at out witting the enemies defences each and everytime the govt takes away our rights.

7. Gringotts Bank

Gringotts Bank

8. Gringotts Bank

Gringotts Bank

I used to work for a company who'd monitor employee internet activity very closely. It was in an industry where security would be of almost no concern, so they were just being nosey. Very nosey. I found it offensive. I just had to assume they knew me fairly well by the end of my time there, because I tend to say what I mean on forums. In real life it's different because social cohesion relies on everyone agreeing to agree... or at least not say what they're thinking.

Makes me think I should stop posting my thoughts and opinions on forums. It's not like it serves any purpose, other than pass the time between trades. Waste of time TBH.

9. So_Cynical

So_Cynical The Contrarian Averager

Like it or not facial recognition and or other bio security measures are the future, the current 9 point ID check is woefully inadequate, anyone can find out anyone's Full Name, DOB, address, phone number, email, with just a little investigation work required, thats 90% of your identity right there.

Add to the mix the near total move to online and phone customer service, Telcos, Insurance, Broking, wealth management, share registry's, etc, there is no shop front there fore anyone can pretend to be anyone else...face recognition and other bio ID is the only true way to tell who's who.

10. Tisme

Tisme Apathetic at Best

Regardless of avatars and arguments, it's still interaction and conversation, which is one of the hallmarks of human behaviour.... there doesn't have to be a material reward, gauged gain or otherwise for that effort.

11. moXJO

moXJO menace to society

I'm against it. Liberals are sellout sacks of shitte. Unfortunately the more tech progresses the worse it gets for privacy.

12. Wysiwyg

I think police pulling people over presuming guilt with a random licence or breath test is an invasion of freedom too. The person's time and some embarrassment from flashing lights and siren wailing is never reimbursed. No apologies for a false accusation either. You know if they catch a few law breakers it is all worthwhile in the laws eye, just like scanning faces in a crowd and spotting a criminal.

13. SirRumpole

SirRumpole

So people have a driving license for 10 years and in that time get fatter or thinner, grow beards or shave them off, lose hair or get wigs , have plastic surgery, yada yada and this technology is supposed to be foolproof ?

What is an acceptable success rate ? 90%, 70%, 50% ? No one is saying. The technology should be demonstrated to be 100% reliable before we have to buy this bullshite.

14. Wysiwyg

The presentation show for the new Apple iphone facial recognition failed on stage and that was close up. Apple would supposedly have cutting edge tech. with facial recognition. The Australian authorities' ulterior motive is what though?

15. SirRumpole

SirRumpole

I think that the police will argue for whatever technology, laws or money they can get and the politicians won't ask any questions for fear of being labelled "soft on terrorism" or crime etc.

16. Wysiwyg

Like the govt. funded research groups. All projects are essential and of great value to the human race. Sure there is essential work to be done but the govt. teat is irresistable to the university educated real work averse types as the govt. tends to throw money at issues without substantive knowledge.

17. bellenuit

bellenuit

Actually it didn’t fail and worked exactly as designed. The problem was that the presenter didn’t grasp what had happened. According to those who investigated that issue, several people had picked up that phone and, as expected, didn’t cause it to turn on as their facial profile didn’t match. Howeve, just like several failed attempts using finger print recognition, the phone for security reasons flipped to passcode entry as a precaution. That was the mode the phone was in when the presenter picked it up.

Wysiwyg likes this.
  18. basilio

basilio

The scary part about all this is that under terrorism laws people can be basically disappeared as "threats to society".
    Guantanamo Bay is the example of many scores of innocent people incarcerated without hope of a justice by administration that would never acknowledge an error.

19. Tisme

Tisme Apathetic at Best

20. luutzu

luutzu

That or just wear sunglasses. Maybe a hood or a baseball cap.

No need to go hi-tech for everything people.