• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

I'm gunna be rich beyond my wildest dreams

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by LifeChoices, Oct 31, 2011.

Tags:
  1. LifeChoices

LifeChoices

They say you only get one good idea in your lifetime.

Tyler Durden inspired me with the idea on his moonlighting thread: https://www.aussiestockforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23666

Right now I'm in 'high level' negotiations with a respectable b2b wholesaler from Guangdong, China that I found browsing dhgate.com to buy 24 Air Rangers. It all looks legit, chris-shop is a gold seller!. Although these are not the original air swimmers - they are the next generation and offer more functions - like automatic swimming!!!

I bought one of these a couple of weeks ago and they are the greatest invention since the iphone 3G. Everyone I show wants one and I can't wait to get home from work and play with my inflatable shark.

My idea is to set up a stall in Chaddy or Southlands, fly a couple of them around and sell them to people panic buying in the lead up to xmas. If it's all too hard, I'll just go around party shops or sell them to peeps on aussiestockforums.com.au and ebay.

When I sell out - which I will - I'll just buy some more from Guangdong - there's gotta be a catch, cause it all sounds too easy.

it's going to cost me about $500 to start up this business. Watch our Gina Rihnehardt, i'm going to pip you to the post on the next BRW rich list with my range of inflatable novelty toys.

2. LifeChoices

LifeChoices

Amazingly 24 of them arrived this morning.... And these are the new improved generation with auto swim function and rechargeable battery.

PM me if you want a shark or a clownfish?

24.jpg

As a special deal for astute aussiestockforum investors I'm selling em for $40.00 including registered post or $43 including express post to anywhere in Australia.

You won't be disappointed, unless you get drunk and fly them outside - like I did on the w/e.

3. tothemax6

tothemax6

The helium bit is a bit of a pain tho.

4. skc

skc Goldmember

What's so special about your deal?!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AIR-SWIM...Radio_Controlled_Vehicles&hash=item2eb8e4459f

How much is helium btw?

5. LifeChoices

LifeChoices

Astute investors would have picked up the fact that I'm offering "Registered Post" as opposed to standard post and the fact that the ebay seller hasn't even got the air rangers in stock.

I have the air rangers in stock and am offering a premium postage service.

I paid $7 for helium at my local party shop to fill it up.

6. LifeChoices

LifeChoices

Well, it's been an amazing 2 days. Since they arrived my inbox has been flooded and friends of friends were buying them. I even had to pull my sales on ebay due to the demand.

The boxes are now empty and I'm completely sold out. These fish have just captured peoples imagination.

On Thursday I noted they were voted the number 1 toy on AdWeek

http://www.adweek.com/adfreak/seasons-15-hottest-toys-watch-tv-ads-136314

Yesterday I purchased a domain name and put up a rough website: http://www.air-swimmer.com.au (stay tuned)

I've just ordered another 48 direct from Guangdong, China. If I keep going at this rate I'll be only too happy to bail out Italy.

Hey Tyler - I probably owe you a couple of bucks for inspiring me on this inflatable novelty toy journey.

7. prawn_86

prawn_86 Mod: Call me Dendrobranchiata

Well done LC.

OUt of interest do you have any plans for when/if competition starts undercutting you?

8. LifeChoices

LifeChoices

It's already getting there.

What I've noticed is that there are lots of small timers like me in the market selling to friends of friends. No big retailers have got into it. There are that many different types available - right now its great business.

My bet is mid December it will be feverpitch and January the business will be dead.

Right now I'm only paying $19 a fish and selling them for $30 - $40, which is a very good ROI and it's keeping me in laughs and some expensive lunches at the "good place". It's been a very successful experiment and has opened my mind.

On another note - I should probably start a thread on this.....

You know on the back of cars people have these stickers representing their family - anyone noticed this? Look around lots and lots of people have them stuck to their back windows - white decals/cartoon characters of their family members stuck to the back window.

A friend of mine told me today that the couple who designed these are from Braebrook Vic and have made squillians out of it. When I was in the US I even saw them there.

I'd like to find out more about it.

9. Julia

Julia In Memoriam

Congrats on your success so far, LC. Whoever is marketing these stickers seems to be pretty well organised.

Personally, I can't quite see why you'd want to tell the world the make-up of your family, but I suppose it's an extension of the social media phenomenon of making every breath you take public.:(

Apparently these stickers really annoy some people. I was reading at the weekend that the follow up is some pretty nasty similar product which depicts these families being hung on gallows.
    http://www.familystickers.com/

10. LifeChoices

LifeChoices

In a million years I couldn't imagine sticking those things on the back of my car.

They kind of annoy me, but I'm more fascinated in how they managed to make their way into so many back windows of cars. I don't understand why so many people bothered to buy them and make the effort to stick them to the back of their rear window. I wouldn't know where to buy them, I've never seen them in any shops and have NFI where all these people get them from. It makes me feel like I've been asleep.

I'm from a marketing background and am just really interested in how this has become so mainstream.

11. tech/a

tech/a No Ordinary Duck

Hmmm
    I like your thinking

" Your Hired "

12. danbradster

danbradster

41zpSwmJ%2BIL._SS500_.jpg

I don't know about the marketing of them.

Attached Files:

13. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden

Hey mate, you don't owe me anything, I am glad that my thread had such a positive effect on one person - that in itself means more than enough to me.

On a similar note, ever since that thread, I have decided to get into 'business' - you have obviously beaten me to it, but my ideas were somewhat similar (no, not inflatable sharks, as I didn't know about them). I am still in the early planning stages, but I am excited just thinking about it.

PS. Are you in Sydney?

14. LifeChoices

LifeChoices

^^^no - Melbourne

I've been thinking about the next stage in this adventure and thought I may as well document it here.

I've ordered another 48. They arrive in about 9 days and I got them for about $19 each.

My plan now is to go grass roots. I've already sold them to close friends and work mates - many who bought 2 , one friend bought 9.

The website is crucial, I got the domain name www.air-swimmer.com.au and am building up the site, with the main focus being in order:
    1. Design
    2. Google ranking
    3. Ability to take orders/contact us
    4. FAQ
    5. Social Media

I'm a web developer by trade so this is no big deal to me, and I see this project as a bit of a hobby to expand my skillset and my 'saleability' in the future. The domain name cost me $29:00

I think the pricing structure will be something like this - I will align the price at selling time using e-bay as a guide.

1 x $35 (plus postage)
    2 x $30 (plus postage)
    5 x $28 (plus postage)

My campaign is going to be very ground roots, so I shouldn't have to post them interstate, or market on ebay just yet. The website will just sit there in the background, gathering rankings, and hopefully taking the odd orders.

There are peeps who missed out on the last batch so they are the first in line. I also plan to sell to neighbors at our xmas party. After that I'll put it up on my extinct facebbok page, where I have a couple of hundred people. I will also ask my daughter and son to put it up on their pages.

I'm confident the 48 will sell - it would be great if I could move the lot of them in under a week.

The way I see it is I'm doing a community service, while lining my pockets. Hey, I didn't invent capitalism!

15. Julia

Julia In Memoriam

Is this site supposed to be fully functional at this stage, or not yet? I clicked on the link and saw the fish floating about, watched by a dad and his son both wearing expressions of fixed joy.
    No link to being able to order or any explanation of how the things worked.
    Perhaps a work in progress?

16. LifeChoices

LifeChoices

Give me a break, It's only been around 2 days. In that time I've done heaps - the difficult bits are done (deciding how the site will look and work)

Now I just have to implement it. I need to get a suitable picture for a remote control, which will by my navigation with the following sections:

about
    order now
    faq
    contact

May take me this week to get it functioning. Just in time for the next shipment.

Until then it's just floating fish, a pretty sky, and an excited dad with his son in bottom left.

17. Julia

Julia In Memoriam

Settle down, LC. I just asked the question. You have answered. Thank you.
    Good luck.

18. LifeChoices

LifeChoices

Sorry for getting so uptight Julia,

Things can get very stressful in the novelty inflatable toy industry.

For example my distributor in China was trying to sell me these:

mermaid1.jpg mermaid2.jpg

This is the sort of crap I have to deal with on a daily basis.

19. Garpal Gumnut

Garpal Gumnut

I can sell you some fish.

Inflated or inflatable.

gg

20. Julia

Julia In Memoriam

No problem, LC. I admire you for your initiative and look forward to seeing the finished website.

Actually, at the risk of being a contender for the "Tacky Award", I think those are pretty cute. Maybe an altogether different market? I wouldn't totally dismiss how much they could appeal to some people.

A bit like garden gnomes: so utterly awful, they're almost appealing.