Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

If the Fukushima plant turns into a Chernobyl???

Reaction score
Firstly i would just like to add that i have the deepest sympathy for the Japanese people at the moment and pray that there will be relief after these terrible disasters.

Secondly i would like to just see some peoples opinions on this,

If the Fukushima plant turns into a Chernobyl, will there be any effect on the Australian stock exchange because of the entanglement of global markets? The effect of japans markets going crazy obviously has already effected much of the Global market, but if this Nuclear Station was to go Melt Down. How much trouble would the Aussie markets be in ?

Reaction score
It will not do a Chernobyl.
You might want to look up what went down at Chernobyl, not all reactors are the same - in the same way a vehicle crash involving a truck is capable of far more damage than one involving a car.

But hypothetically:
Suppose for some freak reason, the MOX reactor had an enormous explosion that burst the containment vessel and sent hot burning plutonium into the air, the cloud of which managed to reach Tokyo. This would probably send the nikkei225 down to 5000, and the asx200 down to 4000.

Reaction score
It will not do a Chernobyl.
You might want to look up what went down at Chernobyl, not all reactors are the same - in the same way a vehicle crash involving a truck is capable of far more damage than one involving a car.

But hypothetically:
Suppose for some freak reason, the MOX reactor had an enormous explosion that burst the containment vessel and sent hot burning plutonium into the air, the cloud of which managed to reach Tokyo. This would probably send the nikkei225 down to 5000, and the asx200 down to 4000.

In business do we not always work with Hypothesis' and theories. I understand there not the same. But Chernobyl is the easiest way to describe massive nuclear disaster.

Yea i would assume thats what would happen. Heres hoping for a silver lining out of all this.

So_Cynical

The Contrarian Averager
Reaction score
If the Fukushima plant turns into a Chernobyl, but if this Nuclear Station was to go Melt Down.

Considering that all the reactors were shut down before the tsunami arrived...how do you propose that a meltdown would be even possible? :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Considering that all the reactors were shut down before the tsunami arrived...how do you propose that a meltdown would be even possible? :rolleyes:
Given that most reports on the subject suggest that a partial meltdown has quite likely already occurred, the answer to your question would seem to be as simple as abandoning the plant and doing nothing to maintain adequate water levels etc.

That said, the point that the reactors were shut down is truly alarming. If this situation has arisen with the reactors shut down, I'd hate to imagine what would happen in a major disaster situation where the reactors were affected immediately (ie before shutting down). Such a scenario is certainly plausible.

So_Cynical

The Contrarian Averager
Reaction score
Given that most reports on the subject suggest that a partial meltdown has quite likely already occurred, the answer to your question would seem to be as simple as abandoning the plant and doing nothing to maintain adequate water levels etc.

That said, the point that the reactors were shut down is truly alarming. If this situation has arisen with the reactors shut down, I'd hate to imagine what would happen in a major disaster situation where the reactors were affected immediately (ie before shutting down). Such a scenario is certainly plausible.

Most reports also called the incident a crisis and made Chernobyl comparisons and were thus proven wrong on both counts...funny cos im still waiting for the main stream media to apologise for misleading and inaccurate reporting...ill be waiting a long time for that apology i think.

So lets just consider the reported partial meltdown for a moment and also consider the FACT that the reactor containment vessels are in all probability 100% in tact...mmm a melt down inside a containment vessel that's intact simply couldn't have been much of a meltdown if it cant generate enough heat to breach the containment vessel.

More over heated fuel rods than a meltdown i would think....meltdown however works better on the evening news and the papers.

Reaction score
Most reports also called the incident a crisis and made Chernobyl comparisons and were thus proven wrong on both counts...funny cos im still waiting for the main stream media to apologise for misleading and inaccurate reporting...ill be waiting a long time for that apology i think.

So lets just consider the reported partial meltdown for a moment and also consider the FACT that the reactor containment vessels are in all probability 100% in tact...mmm a melt down inside a containment vessel that's intact simply couldn't have been much of a meltdown if it cant generate enough heat to breach the containment vessel.

More over heated fuel rods than a meltdown i would think....meltdown however works better on the evening news and the papers.
If I am killed in a plane crash tomorrow then the "why" aspect is irrelevant to me or my family. Whether it's a wing falling off, an engine failure, something fails on landing or there's a bomb on board does not change the final outcome that a plane load of people end up dead.

There has already been a significant radiation release at Fukushima and this has already impacted people. Arguing as to the technical details of how and why it happened is missing the point.:2twocents

CanOz

Home runs feel good, but base hits pay bills!
Reaction score
Watch this and please sign the petition here... in the name of transparency. We need to know the truth, the world needs to allocate the proper resources to this. The Japanese government and Tepco has already shown that they're not capable of being trustworthy....

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
I don't know enough about the details to know whether that video is factually correct or not. But if it's true then the world needs to do whatever needs to be done from a scientific, resource etc perspective.

Cost? Not an issue. Nuclear power has only ever worked financially with the aid of massive subsidies, either direct or indirect, and this is just more of the same. :2twocents

CanOz

Home runs feel good, but base hits pay bills!
Reaction score
The third anniversary and the brain dead Abe government wants to send the residents back!

Fukushima disaster: Plan to send residents home three years after nuclear accident labelled 'irresponsible'

A nuclear industry insider has told the ABC that the situation at the stricken Fukushima reactor is still not under control, three years after the disaster there.

Japan's prime minister Shinzo Abe has announced he wants 30,000 residents to return to their homes and the reactors to be switched back on within two years.

But a Fukushima insider and two former prime ministers have told the ABC's 7.30 that such a move would be irresponsible.

At the risk of losing his job if his identity is revealed, a senior TEPCO staffer, who has worked at the Fukushima plant for more than 20 years, says the situation at the reactor is not under control and no-one knows how to fix the problem.

"There are too many systems and they all have problems," he said.

"For example, too many water tanks with too many lines - it's very difficult to operate. It's made worse because all the experienced workers have reached their radiation limits, so TEPCO has to rely on staff that don't know the site and who aren't trained."

The whistleblower says mistakes are made weekly, and contaminated water leaks into the Pacific Ocean every day.

"The other day when contaminated water overflowed from a tank, an alarm was ringing but they didn't go and check. I couldn't believe it. It was ringing for nine hours and they thought the alarm was out of order."

The insider says the damaged reactors can never be decontaminated and that people should not be moved back into the no-go zone, a 20-kilometre exclusion area around Fukushima.

"I feel it is impossible to fix before my death," he said.

"We just don't have the technology to fix it. It currently doesn't exist. We just can't deal with the melted fuel."

TEPCO declined 7.30's invitation to respond to these allegations.

Next month, the government will start moving 30,000 of Fukushima's evacuees back into the no-go zone.

It is all part of the Abe government's plan to turn back on the country's 48 nuclear reactors by the middle of this year. They have been sitting idle since the 2011 disaster.

A government spokesman admitted there was no such thing as zero risk with a nuclear plant, but the government believed the risks could be managed with new safety standards.
Turning reactors back on 'a risk not worth taking'

The Abe government has said it was in the best interest of the economy to make nuclear power once again the core source of Japan's energy.

It is worried that the reliance on imported coal and gas is threatening the country's fragile economic recovery.

But a former prime minister, Morihiro Hosokawa, says it is a risk not worth taking.

"The causes of the accident haven't been investigated properly. Contaminated water is still leaking, and compensation for victims hasn't been sorted out," he said.
Fukushima evacuees don't want to return home despite areas declared safe Photo: Residents are reluctant to return to their homes. (ABC News)

"I think in these circumstances it is very irresponsible to turn the reactors back on."

He is backed by another former prime minister, Naoto Kan, who was in power at the time of the nuclear disaster in 2011.

Mr Kan says the current government does not understand the risk.

"They are trying to restart the nuclear reactors without learning the lessons of the March 11 accident," he said.

"If the accident had spread just a little further, then 50 million people around Tokyo would have been evacuated for a long time and that would have put Japan in chaos for 20 to 30 years."

Mr Kan says no national evacuation plan has been developed, and in the rush to turn the reactors back on the government is ignoring the safety of the general public.

"I submitted written questions to Prime Minister Abe and his response from the Nuclear Regulation Authority says it only decides on limited technical issues and won't judge local disaster prevention plans; that is, whether residents can escape safely or whether the residents can ever return.

"It's becoming clear they are trying to restart the reactors with no regard for people's safety."

Perhaps Shinzo Abe could set an example and establish his summer home there...:frown: