Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

I don't like Sundays, no trading!

CanOz

Home runs feel good, but base hits pay bills!
Reactions
What !

No trading until next Tuesday!
You know i used to feel the same, even quite recently. Since I've been developing and testing systems (about six months) i don't even know what the market is doing half the time. Most of the day is spent on research so i may not even check out the market unless I'm having execution problems.

The actual trading component is actually quite boring now...the market moves so slow...compared to market replay :D

Because of this everyday is just another work day, as is today. In fact if my wife didn't stop me i would work through the weekend unless it was a stunning day. This is my dream job...

I still get a little excited though when i see an algo take a position!

Cheers,

CanOz

CanOz

Reactions
If your a descretionary trader then Sundays are a good time to do some homework. Personally trading is not much fun, but I enjoy the homework, the analysis of the volume at different levels, looking for where there could be opportunities for the next session.

CanOz

Reactions
Sundays are an opportunity to invest in the things money can't buy - family, kids, etc... don't know about you but that's the reason I got involved in shares in the first place - to free up some time/retire earlier in order to do just that.

skc

Goldmember
Reactions
Sundays are an opportunity to invest in the things money can't buy - family, kids, etc... don't know about you but that's the reason I got involved in shares in the first place - to free up some time/retire earlier in order to do just that.
+1 :xyxthumbs

CanOz

Reactions
Yup, agree. Although I still set aside some time for homework. Actually I don't see how intraday trading would free up much time for me, other than the fact I'm home and in control of my time more. It's still a long day that doesn't start or finish with the open and close of the market you trade.

Curious to how many hours the successful traders are putting in each day. During my last week I averaged about 10 hours per day.

Cheers,

CanOz

tech/a

No Ordinary Duck
Reactions
Yup, agree. Although I still set aside some time for homework. Actually I don't see how intraday trading would free up much time for me, other than the fact I'm home and in control of my time more. It's still a long day that doesn't start or finish with the open and close of the market you trade.

Curious to how many hours the successful traders are putting in each day. During my last week I averaged about 10 hours per day.

Cheers,

CanOz
45 mins a day.

CanOz

Reactions
45 mins a day.
Fair enough Tech, but your not trading the whole session descretionary are you? There must be a particular time that your looking to take trades is there?

Prop traders spend the whole day in front of the screen, or at least the most active parts of each session they trade.

You trade the FTSE, so similar to Europe. I could get away with trading only the AM session. But that could mean up to three hours.

CanOz

Reactions
Great reply stewie!

skc

Goldmember
Reactions
I am pretty much the same. 8am to 4:30pm non-stop, spend time with baby from 4:30-6:30pm, then usually another 1hr or 2 at night to finish the day and prepare for the next day. So 50-55hrs a week is pretty average.

But since I work from home, I save at least 2 hrs a day in travel, ironing shirts, shaving etc. So it's not a bad deal.

Plus I can see my kids during the day as well.

And here was me thinking that DayTraders finished by lunch time and spent the arvo surfing!
It's hard to sell a dream that involves hard work.