• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

Hypothetically Speaking

Discussion in 'Beginner's Lounge' started by Mr Wilson, Oct 12, 2012.

sentifi.com

Aussie Stock Forum Sentifi Top themes and market attention on:

  1. Mr Wilson

    Mr Wilson

    Posts:
    22
    Likes Received:
    0
    Joined:
    Sep 22, 2012
    Hey team attack,


    This is a hypothetical question, In no way should anyone consider it as getting advice, :xyxthumbs

    If someone was to say have 1k in shares and has made a %21 increase in market value <----- Fairly stable
    (there also not willing to buy any more share's at the current price)

    and

    Another stake of share's valued at 1k with a %8.3 increase in market value <----- showing a trend to rise
    (not willing to buy any more at current market price)


    would it seem a better Ida in this situation to sell both lots of shares and consolidating, investing the 2k in a lump sum?


    What do you think the pro's and con's might be?
     
  2. Gringotts Bank

    Gringotts Bank

    Posts:
    6,174
    Likes Received:
    587
    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2007
    What would be the hypothetical stock codes of the hypothetical companies? :rolleyes: Maybe a look at the charts would help.

    If I was just to use the current info., I'd stick with the strength and maybe sell the laggard.
     
  3. Mr Wilson

    Mr Wilson

    Posts:
    22
    Likes Received:
    0
    Joined:
    Sep 22, 2012
    Lets use AAC and WPL for an example,

    Reviewing my original post I think it would be fair for me to say, the real question I'm asking is it better to trade in 1k lots or 2k lots, ect,

    do you think it just comes down to preference?

    I prefer more to less but they both have great potential.
     
  4. Gringotts Bank

    Gringotts Bank

    Posts:
    6,174
    Likes Received:
    587
    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2007
    What about sleeping on it? (the question, not the cash). In the morning you'll know what to do.
     
  5. Mr Wilson

    Mr Wilson

    Posts:
    22
    Likes Received:
    0
    Joined:
    Sep 22, 2012
    Thank you, That's some great advice,

    I have slept on it for over a month now, the question not the cash that is,
    I have made some to 2k trades, The problem lies in the capital, I could combine the two and reinvest,


    It is my view that investing a larger amount of cash gives you better return with less market movement,
    --risk Vs reward I guess--

    I'll hold for now, raise some more capital and buy a new stock, in the mean time I be on the side lines, :(

    Thank you for listening,
     
  6. burglar

    burglar

    Posts:
    3,661
    Likes Received:
    2
    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2010
    I found myself in a strange hypothetical situation recently.

    Thought I'd hold for now, and have raised more capital and added one new stock.

    Market's running nicely, I am happy to let them run for a while!
     
  7. Mr Wilson

    Mr Wilson

    Posts:
    22
    Likes Received:
    0
    Joined:
    Sep 22, 2012
    haha,

    Was that a rephrase?

    perhaps I should edit my previous post's and correct the context so it all follow's the hypothetical approach.

    Have a great day guys.
     
  8. burglar

    burglar

    Posts:
    3,661
    Likes Received:
    2
    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2010
    That was me saying that if I got it right, then you have too!
    Goes without saying, I sometimes get it wrong!
     
  9. burglar

    burglar

    Posts:
    3,661
    Likes Received:
    2
    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2010
    I like $3k lots.

    At that size the brokerage is around 1.2% coming and going.

    I don't like the brokerage to rule my trade.

    (I should get a cheeper broker)
     
  10. Mr Wilson

    Mr Wilson

    Posts:
    22
    Likes Received:
    0
    Joined:
    Sep 22, 2012

    :bier:
     
Loading...

Share This Page