• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

HSBC request for very detailed personal information

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Brik, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Brik

Brik

It seems that all HSBC account holders have been sent a long and detailed questionnaire to collect very private data.
    They justify the request under security measures.
    I thought it was a result of the Royal Commission but it does not seem to be the case.
    Have any of you agreed to provide the very personal details that they are requesting?
    I am concerned that HSBC is controlled by Chinese Government/entities and I think it unwise to provide to foreign banks any information which is not strictly related to the transactions one carries out

2. SirRumpole

SirRumpole

I'd find another bank I think.

3. Brik

Brik

I have every intention to do that if they insist. The amount of detail they require from account holders is not unlike a Government application for pension/benefits. Quite outrageous.
    I wonder if any other banks in Australia have gone down that path.

For your general information, In Europe, many Governments use the Banks as as an extension of their power. So they are authorised and indeed obliged to collect vast amounts of personal financial and biographical data before an account can be opened. Is this where we are heading?

4. Tisme

Tisme Apathetic at Best

HSBC has been the victim of scams many times.

You should call a branch and find out if true or not

5. Brik

Brik

Fair point! The correspondence looks very legitimate, I checked the address and it does not seem to be a scam.

6. So_Cynical

So_Cynical The Contrarian Averager

I have a close relative with 3 HSBC accounts, they tell me they have not received any data request.

7. McLovin

McLovin

HSBC is a British bank.

8. SirRumpole

SirRumpole

Sounds like a scam then.

9. Tisme

Tisme Apathetic at Best

You sure it's not
    Yeah sounds like someone phishing

10. macca

macca

11. Country Lad

Country Lad Off into the sunset

It's not Chinese, this perception comes from the original name of the Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation which was the bank started by the English in 1866 in Hongkong and Shanghai.

It has dual listing in London and Hongkong.

I would say that you have been scammed Brik. No different to the emails I have received supposedly from NAB asking for details which is also a bit odd as I don't bank with NAB

12. Tisme

Tisme Apathetic at Best

Me neither, but I do have fun supplying them details of the non existent account.

13. Brik

Brik

HSBC has a very complex subsidiary and shareholding structure. The published shareholders of the main holding company are diverse but do not represent anything close to the 50%. HSBC claims they have 200,000 shareholders in 131 countries as the company is listed in more stock exchanges. Having the head office in GB is almost a must for such a high profile bank.Covering up ownership of high profile companies is a full time job for many legal firms, so it is unlikely we'll find out who the "controller " is unless it is published on wikileaks

14. McLovin

McLovin

Nonsense. There is nothing complex about HSBC's structure. The parent, who owns HSBC Bank Australia, is a UK company. Of the 30 largest banks in the world only four are headquartered in the UK, so no, it's not a must.

Do you really think the Chinese government gives a sh!t about your monthly expenses or what star sign you are?