• Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Hello and welcome to Aussie Stock Forums!

To gain full access you must register. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds to complete.

Already a member? Log in here.

How to sell a massacre

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by basilio, Mar 27, 2019.

1. basilio

basilio

The ABC is showing a two part documentary produced by Al Jazzera. It uses undercover journalists to show how the NRA delivers its gun message across the US. A significant part of the program also shows interactions with One Nation leaders who attempt to get NRA support for unpicking Australia's gun laws.

After watching the show, what are peoples thoughts on the expose ?

https://iview.abc.net.au/show/how-to-sell-a-massacre

2. basilio

basilio

3. SirRumpole

SirRumpole

PHON is trying to pass this off as a foreign conspiracy, but no one forced those guys to say what they did, even if they were pi$$ed.

I think the NRA accurately summed them up for what they are, ie a couple of bozos not worth giving any money to.

Macquack and IFocus like this.
  4. moXJO

moXJO menace to society

Sounds like entrapment?

So the media is now creating the stories and not just reporting on them. Setting a dangerous precedent.

5. Wysiwyg

Wysiwyg Everyone wants money

Great insight into the corruption, bullying, propaganda and insanity that is NRA. Dickson and Ashby are traitors and should not receive a wage. Let's see if Australian people can administer justice via their vote on these a-holes.

Macquack and IFocus like this.
  6. basilio

basilio

Entrapment ? I don't think so. No one was enticed into doing something they were not already completely comfortable with. The NRA exists to promote the sale of guns and ensure all politicians regardless of political affiliation fear their capacity to get them thrown out if they cross the NRA line.
    One Nation were Trumpists and echos of the NRA from day one. They were looking for any way to get money that would enable them to hold the balance of power in Australia and roll back our gun laws.

All this program did was let us see for ourselves their agenda and methods - if we are prepared to acknowledge it.

Macquack and explod like this.
  7. IFocus

IFocus You are arguing with a Galah

My understanding is that the investigation was about the NRA and these two mugs just walked into it, but seriously given the two's previous history there really are no surprises.

Also note their understanding how wrong it was stating what a mess it would be if it got out what they were doing.

Note if it was entrapment.........well you generally only catch rats in a trap :):)

Mind you these two are more like dogs with fleas.

Macquack likes this.
  8. lusk

lusk

Worked on for them for 3 years, then invited them to a meeting with the NRA and unbelievably they talked about guns.

Maybe they just told the NRA what they wanted to here to get cash. There is zero chance of changing any gun laws in Australia.

The media is descending down the plug hole if this is news.

“An MP said it would actually take a massacre in Tasmania to change the gun laws in Australia,” Senator Hanson tells Rodger Muller, an Al Jazeera journalist who for three years pretended to be the leader of a fictitious firearm advocate group called Gun Rights Australia, an identity he established to infiltrate One Nation.

In a statement, One Nation confirmed it had been invited by Muller “to meet with the NRA, American business leaders and attend the congressional sportsman’s dinner”.

9. moXJO

moXJO menace to society

One nation aside, this is going down a slippery slope.
    I'd be the same if the Greens were caught out in similar fashion.
    Is this what will pass as the norm from now on?

10. PZ99

PZ99 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

It probably will - after all don't the two major parties have deals with Chinese Kommies ? :)

11. basilio

basilio

If The Greens were implicated in trying to get the NRA support to enable them to reverse Australia's gun laws - yeah I'd be totally with you.

IMV this was simply a way to get to hear how the NRA is such a potent political force in the US and how it's agenda drives the nation. And it is worth understanding who they are representing - the gun companies.
    Check out the story

12. moXJO

moXJO menace to society

We have lobbyists for coal, China, Alcohol, Cigarettes, Military weapons etc. Barely a mention. They donate all the time.
    I don't care why it was done. I care about the method used.

One nation just wanted cash from a donor. And lets face it they ain't high on the brain cell count already. But gun rights would be in line with their political beliefs, if you agree or not.

Im questioning the method the jornos used. If you agree with it out of tribalism, then you fail to see how it will be abused later on.

qldfrog likes this.
  13. basilio

basilio

We do have a ton of other lobbyists. Perhaps we should have a more honest indication of how they "work" governments and what governments need to do to stay sweet with them ? I think I would welcome some similar stings to see how these industries work from the inside.

In one sense we seemingly already have that information from political correspondents who watch what is happening from both the inside and the outside. But this is routinely denied and easily ignored. But actually hearing the words from their mouth ? Watching how they muscle individual politicians to toe the line ? Acting as a conduit between various business interest to deliver better outcomes for them (regardless of any other considerations) ? This is truth veritas. I know they will all deny it but it is harder when it's your own words damning you.

By the way historically having people go undercover in various situations has always been the most effective way to get eye witness accounts of bad practice, criminality or incompetence. The police ? Inquires ? Parliamentary investigations ? Yes a Royal Commission can be established but my god it takes a ton of pressure and smoking guns to get one up. What can happen is that as a result of an investigation like The Age, Al Jazzera governments are forced to sit up and take notice of things their lobbyist friends will deny forever.

Check out journalists Nellie Bly (10 days in a madhouse) and Upton Sinclair (The Jungle)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nellie_Bly
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Jungle

14. basilio

basilio

Anyway in my view the NRA are spawn of the devil. 40,000 people a year are killed with guns in the US. The unceasing efforts of the NRA to allow high powered automatic assault guns and widespread use of small arms is a major contributor to these deaths.

Well worth a read to get an idea of the scale of the problem.
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/dec/13/us-gun-deaths-levels-cdc-2017

Macquack likes this.
  15. qldfrog

qldfrog

And entrapment done by a foreign influence
    Directly under orders of an authoritarian muslim arab country.
    No wonder they targetted ON and not their mates
    But it follows what we are supposed to believe, ON is bad as everyone knows
    immigration is good for..well who cares as long as i make money out if it

16. basilio

basilio

Really Qfrog ? You know this do you ? You have all the evidence at hand ?
    It would be interesting to understand the thinking behind such a long operation. But the facts are pretty straightforward. Making up side stories doesn't change what we are seeing.

1) We have from the NRA mouths an excellent understanding of how they wield power in the US
    2) We know that One Nation is determined to roll back Australian gun laws and are prepared to do whatever it takes (as long as they don't get caught...) to bring in US style laws.

We can do without both IMV.

17. Wysiwyg

Wysiwyg Everyone wants money

It is ingrained in their psyche. The second amendment has been well and truly misused and the horrific deaths of 1st graders didn't get a flinch from the NRA. Wayne LaPierre is one sick @#^%.

Macquack and basilio like this.
  18. basilio

basilio

Very powerful completion to the Al Jazzera sting. Anyone else see it ?

19. basilio

basilio